Replacement rear outer pinion seal (8.6" rear)

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Just wondering if anyone had replaced their leaky pinion seal with the revised 'triple lip' seal? (GM #: 26064028 )

If it'll seal better, I'm interested - but from what I see, this seal is a two-piece design, and requires either yoke replacement or a special sleeve adapter to accommodate. That sounds like more trouble than it's worth, especially concerning getting the bearing crush / lash set correctly with a different yoke, w/o replacing the crush washer outright (requiring disassembly of the diff, and all that entails).

If anyone has put in the 'triple lip' and retained the original yoke, & no adapter... I'd like to hear from you, especially about setting the lash and how it worked out, long-term. Didn't see any mention of it when I ran a search.

Leaning toward just getting a '1st design' one piece seal from a good company like National and calling it a day. The OEM lasted until about the last year (?) or so (when I R&R'd the fluid a couple of years ago, the outer housing was dry as the Sahara). FWIW, this revised seal is considered a valid replacement for all 8.5" / 8.6" rear diffs from '99-up, not just for our 360/370 platforms.

Not a serious leak yet, but want to get it replaced before it gets that way. Thanks.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Interesting topic. If you do decide to go ahead, it would make for a good writeup on the process.

How was the wear on the pinion when you first replaced the seal? If it already had a wear groove, it may have been a foregone conclusion it would leak again.

I would say that since yours failed again after such a short time it would probably be worth the effort. In my little bit of research, I did find this kit:

Do the instructions say that the pinion has to be replaced with this seal?

Reactions: mrrsm

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Sorry for the misunderstanding... AFAIK, the existing pinion seal on my Envoy is the original. The only thing I did 2yrs ago was to replace fluid, and since my '03 has a drain on the bottom of the diff, I didn't even have to crack the pumpkin open (since it was nice and dry, and no issues with the diff, I decided to leave it alone, as much as I wanted to examine the gearset at the time)

Usually if there's a '2nd design', and the OEM specs it backward, they intend for any R&R to use the new part. So I figured someone might have gone through this (there's not a lot of 'chatter' that I can find online about using this one, vs. the old).

Here's a link to the 'sleeve' that allows re-use of the existing yoke (only place I ran across it; Yukon Gear distributes it):
Pinion Seal Sleeve

I'd be more inclined to take a chance on the new one, if I could find more evidence of someone using it. Most of the new ones are the new two-piece 'triple lip' design, but there's still a supply of the old design available (I may grab two, JIC, although the first one lasted +15yrs)

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ah, I see. Well, in that case, I'd go with the 1st design if the yoke doesn't have a canyon as a groove.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online