Replacement OEM part help

IAFF78

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
While messing with my HID disaster i was trying to remove a stubborn plug from my headlight housing when i broke the plug. Its the plug that goes into the side marker light on the head light house. The purple/black plug that is in the top corner nearest the push/pull bracket that clips the headlight in(hope i'm specific enough). The little tab that you push in broke while trying to remove it. Then i was trying to wiggle the plug out when the wires pulled clean out of the plug. Where can i pick up a new plug and how to i secure the wires inside of the plug?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

IAFF78

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
I was thinking the junk yard route myself but i wonder if A. they would let me just take that piece and B. what would they charge me

IAFF78

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
the roadie said:
Excellent questions to ask your local junkyard. Anything we would tell you would be a worthless guess.

I agree, just wondering if anyone has had past experiences at a junkyard in search of a part as off the wall as what i need. Best thing for me to do is call up and ask or just go there, cut it out and haul a$$...lol

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
IAFF78 said:
I agree, just wondering if anyone has had past experiences at a junkyard in search of a part as off the wall as what i need. Best thing for me to do is call up and ask or just go there, cut it out and haul a$$...lol

This is exactly what I do for this situation, and I've had to do it plenty with random dealer only fasteners and whatnot.

You will probably have better luck at a pull-a-part (where you pull instead of them) for just a plug.

Check the harness before cutting the plug off to make sure it's already been hacked up previously or broken due to some collision. At that point, the only good the harness would be is just the wire itself. Don't be a jerk to the next guy that might need the complete harness, if you know what I mean. Dirty up the cut end a bit... On to step two.

Also grab some random piece off the car, nothing too big, don't want to have them charge too much. Light sockets that don't have to be cut off work well, as well as small pieces of interior plastic. Present both to the cashier, tell them the plug was already cut free. They will probably charge a couple bucks for the part, and toss in the plug for free. Not completely dishonest of a tactic.

As usual, ymmv.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.