Replacement Engine Suppliers? 2002 Envoy SLT

Joseph Fallon

Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
Loveland, Colorado
Hello folks! Fairly new guy here. I migrated from the Trailvoy Forums.
I am looking for a replacement used engine for my 2002 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4 due to a head gasket leak between a combustion chamber and the water jacket. The engine compression is further pressurizing the cooling system overfilling the coolant catch tank and draining the radiator. I overheated the engine last summer due to a major coolant loss out on the prairie and had to drive it back to civilization. Are there any suppliers for used engines that has the approval of the "Nation"? Is it a coin toss as to whether a good engine is found? I would really like an engine that has been run and verified good since I know the engines do not snap in like Legos. I already have a defective engine and am not looking for another one! I am also no kid any more and this is going to be a hell of a task just doing an R & R once. Warranties and guarantees are swell but I want the confidence in using a solid engine from a dependable vendor that has met the expectations of the members here. Thank you very much for any suggestions you all can make. Referrals appreciated!

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Dont know these people but this is a pretty good deal on a bolt in motor w only 89k and some semblance of a warranty. Plus a phone number which always comes in handy. They have a rebuilt 1 also...... Lot of them on ebay but im sure most are just junkyard removals w no known history.
These motors are not easy to "rebuild" and Im sure every company has their own definition of what rebuild means. 2 things that would be a must on a rebuild for me would be a completely new timing chain set up and a brand new oil pump. This company claims to do all that and more..

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
With anything used, it's always caveat emptor, however if they back it up with a healthy warranty, it would be a bit of an assurance that they back what they sell, even though you're still on the hook for the labour out and in if it does fail.

Don't limit yourself to just 2002 engines like most interchanges tell you. You can go all the way to 2007 if the price and conditions are right.

4.2L interchangeability by years

06-07 motor you'd have to extend the wiring for the temp sensor to the right rear side of the engine and block off the SAIS with the block off plate on your old engine.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Hey Neighbor! Brighton Colorado here! Welcome to the nation...

As far as engines go, I find Craigslist to be a really good option for the cheaper, no warranty stuff. The reason is, usually its still in a vehicle, and you might be able to hear it run..

Heres a local 2006 for example.

Another 06, with warranty?

2005 complete vehicle (runs and drives) with low miles, and title for 800, can make some of that money back on parting it out, plus selling the hulk with title back to some parts yard. Has a really clean interior.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That 05 only has 95k miles and would be a direct swap. And you would have spare parts after getting rid of the carcass. Who doesn't like spare parts?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
That 05 only has 95k miles and would be a direct swap. And you would have spare parts after getting rid of the carcass. Who doesn't like spare parts?
And he is selling it as a complete vehicle only. So that means it hasnt been picked over, or any other missing parts. Except for the body damage, and missing glass, its going to be complete. He is offering a title with it, and you would need that to sell it off to the recyclers after your done with it.

Joseph Fallon

Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
Loveland, Colorado
Howdy! Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, I've been looking at the 05. The thing about roll-overs that bothers me is wondering how long a vehicle had been running if upside down. A few minutes should not be a big deal but running oil starved for a long time could do damage to all the rotating and sliding parts of the engine. I am looking at the cost of a flatbed from Connifer to Loveland. It could be pricy.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I think you would be in the clear there. But if I am remembering right, because of the way the crankcase vent system is designed, it would be easy to pull the intake tube, and check for oil. Full of oil, your hunch would be spot on. From what I see in the pics, and other details, I think it was a straight roll over, wheels to wheels. But I detailed inspection would tell you more.

At that price, its a direct swap to your truck, and the boatload of spares you get, its well worth the effort.

Edit: Looks to be about 82 miles. If you have AAA plus, it would be covered. If not, you could always rent a U-Haul tow dolly if you have something that could tow it. I think they are like 60 bucks.

Edit2: Im not suggesting this, but I am cheap enough, I would wait till night, put some headlights in it, and drive it home LOL! Be a bit cold!

Edit3: I take that back. Looks like he took the Regular rims off, and the rims and tires that are on it currently, although in good shape, dont have many lug nuts holding them on..

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
its been a month since it was originally posted, have you contacted the seller to see if its available still?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@Mooseman and @xavierny25 - Am I remembering correctly that since he has a 2002, and looking at a 2005, the only thing that is physically part of the motor that would need to be swapped over is the oil pan, and thats only because of the Oil Level Sensor?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That is correct however, he could just leave the sensor plugged in and taped up to stop false low oil level messages. Don't remember if it's a normally open or closed switch. Maybe just leaving it unplugged would stop it.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I've left a couple of messages. We seem to be playing phone tag at this point or he is not available when I am and visa versa. So fun!
That is the only downside to dealing with people on CL vs a business. Its as their/your schedule permits. Sometimes its as quick as can be, other times... On a video card I bought last year, we played email tag FOREVER (2+ weeks), but I was ultimately successful!

I will keep an eye out if something else pops up.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
This one is a City Impound vehicle that someone bought. I know nothing more than that really. In the third picture you can actually see the company I work for in the background.

Its a 2002, but no miles listed.

If I had to guess, he bought it thinking it came with a straight bill of sale, so he could get it titled, and it was a parts BOS instead. But this is just a guess.

Per this, it did come with a title.. Not sure of the story..

This is a 2004, motor is already pulled, 139k miles.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

Joseph Fallon

Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
Loveland, Colorado
Hi again. Still hunting down an engine. The fires here in Colorado near my home and my wifes work have occupied most of our free time.
So to re-address my original question ",Are there any suppliers for used engines that has the approval of the "Nation"? Is it a coin toss as to whether a good engine is found"?

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Used motors are going to be a risk even when buying from a company because they are not tearing them down and cking them out. They pull em from wrecks just like everyone else. A "rebuilt' motor is different although they are going to vary also. What is 1 companies definition of rebuilt may not be anything like anothers... If you were down south here we could hit a few junkyards within 50 miles of here and come home with a damn good candidate for a decent motor but if you cant see what it comes out of yourself your gambling no matter what......
I know I would take a 4.2 with 150k on it if I could confirm it had regular oil changes and was never overheated before Id take 1 with 95k on it that i had no idea about what it had been through......How can a used motor company be any different? They dont know anything about the maintenance history.....
Here is what i would do if searching for a junkyard motor. Look at the dipstick and see what the oil looks like......ck the oil filter, is it a no name walmart oil change filter that looks like its been on there for a few years? Id pass. A brand new ACDelco or other name brand? Im getting interested. Id ck the interior, glove box, etc......any receipts inside for service?? Im liking what I see. A couple of empty jugs of cheap ass rerefined oil laying in the back??? Id pass. Pull the vin and run a CarFax...it'll show oil changes a lot times... Look at the rest of the car.... Lot of pull ties holding things on, woodscrews holding this and that......4 different brand tires, elcheapo parts all over? Probably wasnt well taken care of....
And the after gathering all the clues I could find......Id pull 1 out and GAMBLE!!! Its the best you can do sometimes....Put it in and hope for the best.......

Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I have to throw this out there.. I think this truck could be had extremely cheap..

The kicker is... It has 18000 miles on it (no thats not a typo, 18k miles), and its in Denver.

You can register for free, and bid up to 1000 without making a deposit. Remember thou, there will be auction fees involved.

If you buy it, let me know. There are parts I would love to have (depending on interior color, cant tell if thats grey or cream)! Make back some of your investment...

I already have an account with Copart, and have bought several vehicles off them in the last few years. Its a very easy process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Have to ask if you ever came up with something?

I know that Bravada I have posted 1 above this still hasnt sold, or even gone up for auction. Just curious to see what you did.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Dont know if you are still looking for a engine. This is a 2005 with 153k on it. I was not able to hear it run, and was interested in parts on the other end of the truck.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online