Replaced Ball Joints and Brakes on the TB

Black08TB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
Monday night around 8pm I started working on the truck. I tore the front wheels off and started on the right front. Punched out the upper with a three pound hammer. The lower I used a press that I borrowed from the local parts store. Real nice set, had plenty of fittings, just took a few minutes to get the set up right. It came out real nicely, the press put a load on it, I hit the lead screw with the three pound hammer and it popped. Drove it the rest of the way with the impact wrench. I got the new joints installed, reassembled the spindle and put the new brake rotor and pads on. Took about 2.25 hours.

Got back at it Tuesday morning, confident that I could trim some time off with all the tools and press fittings I'd need all ready to go. Didn't go as planned.....

Everything came apart fine except the lower ball joint. The press tore off an ear on the control arm and it didn't move the joint. I started hammering it with the three pound hammer and heating it with a propane torch. Nothing!

I took a break and went get a drink in the house. Came out with a plan! I rolled the welder out from the corner and proceeded to set the press up square as I could and butted a piece of scrap iron to the broken tab and welded a 1" bead at 80amps. I turned the screw with the impact wrench and it moved! I hit it again and it walked out and hit the floor. Big sigh of relief! Was worried that the darn truck would get the best of me! LOL

The rest is uneventful, put everything back together and moved onto the rear brakes. No problems there, got them done in short order. Even adjusted the E-brake, it's better than it's ever been! Rolled underneath to grease the driveshaft and checked the oil in the front and rear axle, then the transfer case.

Rotated the tires, torqued all the lug nuts and front axle nuts and went for a spin! Front end is nice and tight again, no more clunks, and the breaks are smooth as glass!

Just anti freeze, spark plugs, wash, wax and clean out the interior before winter gets here.

Just an FYI, 90K and 6years old, on original ball joints. Is that above or below average with you guys?

Attachments

• lowerB.jpg
    lowerB.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0440.JPG
    IMG_0440.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: MAY03LT and Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Good to hear that you persevered! One thing, on the pic of the upper ball joint, is it liking grease or was that used as a lubricant to aid the upper control arm getting put back on?

Reactions: Black08TB

Black08TB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
Leaked a little grease driving into work this morning, I wiped it clean after the photo. :thumbsup:

Black08TB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
gmac310 said:
What brand of sway bar end links are those?
Factory GM part from a dealer, $25

Mounce said:
Well hopefully it's not a huge hole that'll allow dirt to get in. :tiphat:

Got me thinking, may have to look at that boot again. Luckily the uppers are very easy to break open and rotate the boot if need be. Thanks!

Reactions: Mounce

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Black08TB said:
Just an FYI, 90K and 6years old, on original ball joints. Is that above or below average with you guys?
I could have probably replaced mine then. They will be replaced soon, about 139k now.

What balljoints did you replace them with?

Black08TB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
I could have probably replaced mine then. They will be replaced soon, about 139k now.

What balljoints did you replace them with?
AC Delco's from Rock Auto;
Upper #45D0112-----$59.79
Lower #45D2296-----$46.79

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
90k sounds about right. My originals were bad at 80k miles, and they were in real bad shape. I don't know how long I was rolling with bad joints.

Reactions: Black08TB

Black08TB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
Hypnotoad said:
90k sounds about right. My originals were bad at 80k miles, and they were in real bad shape. I don't know how long I was rolling with bad joints.
I knew mine were shot, luckily they never let go! Hoping to get another 90K out of these, because I'm going to be keeping the truck for at least another 5 years, maybe longer. My wife and I just bought this one for her, it's a 14' Impala 2LT in RedRock Metallic and Jet Black Leather interior.

Attachments

• Stuff 005.JPG
    Stuff 005.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Stuff 0071.jpg
    Stuff 0071.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 6

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls