Replace Seats

NelliM60

Original poster
May 9, 2016
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Okay. So my next two projects are the following: Replace front bumper and right side front fender (damaged by a big jeep wrangler in a parking lot...don't ask). Mostly the bumper requires attention because it's partially detached from the fender. This looks like an easy job that even an amateur like me can do myself.

The second project is really why I'm writing you guys. I have ugly grey cloth seats that I hate. I want to replace them with black leather seats and I really don't want to spend money buying one of those $200 leather covers. Problem is that it is extremely hard to search for replacements unless of course you have the LT or SS versions. Not even Craigslist within my region (South Jersey, Philly area) have any listings. So my question is 2 parts. Does anyone know any good sites to find leather manual front and rear seats for the 2004 LS version? And I've been looking at Grand Jeep Cherokees ('04 and earlier models) because they are known for putting black leather seats in their Laredo and Special Editions, but will they fit in our platform if I was to buy them off of a Cherokee?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I doubt any seat from anything other than the GMT360 family will fit...unless you put Recaros or something similar in the front.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'm sure you could make it fit, but it would be a lot of custom work. And if the seat belt isn't integrated into the seat then you'd have to figure something else out there.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
And if the seat belt isn't integrated into the seat then you'd have to figure something else out there.
Seat belts, shmeet belts...where's your sense of adventure? :stars:
(kidding, of course).

Of course, with Recaros - maybe the OP would go straight to a 5-point harness. :laugh:

I think the OP's best bet might be to find someone with a leather-trimmed TB who wanted to go to cloth. Might be tough to find, though, and $$ might be involved, unless they just exchanged seat covers.

If I were asked, I'd seriously consider it, as I'd lose the slip/slide, and keep the heaters / power / memory. But I have a GMC, and the seat contours are different. The end result might 'kind of fit' - but it would look like @ss. Plus I have the 7-passenger, not the 5.

Wonder if the seats from a Silverado / Sierra (or Tahoe / Yukon) would fit? Guessing 'not', as they're all bigger / wider.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Silverado has a different style seat altogether. Seat belt is an issue again as well.

NelliM60

Original poster
May 9, 2016
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Yea, I forgot about the built-in seat belts. A friend of mine suggested I look into other trucks that share our platform (Acender, Rainier, Envoy) but it's starting to seem more clear that I'd be better off just buying the seat cover set. But I'll keep searching before biting that bullet.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Silverado has a different style seat altogether. Seat belt is an issue again as well.

:iagree: Yep - forgot to mention the seat belts. Which would be difficult as there's no (obvious) upper anchor point. But if you wanted them bad enough...

Looks like the OP has reconsidered, anyway. Probably for the best :Zzzz:

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Yea, I forgot about the built-in seat belts. A friend of mine suggested I look into other trucks that share our platform (Acender, Rainier, Envoy) but it's starting to seem more clear that I'd be better off just buying the seat cover set. But I'll keep searching before biting that bullet.

I'd check local trim shops too... sometimes it's not that bad to have the seats done as opposed to slipping covers on there... depends on the covers I guess... some are pretty pricey

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online