NEED HELP Replace.. Or Simple Repair?

L.PaulHill

Original poster
Jan 14, 2021
Hello Folks.
Currently into transmission issues on my recently acquired '04 Envoy XUV, 4.2i6, standard RWD. When I got the truck, it made it nearly home (78 mile trip) before the tranny started acting up. Driving 55 mph on average, the tranny lost all power, RPM's shot thru the roof. I coasted to the brim, checked fluids (other than the fluid looking like thin mud, levels were good). Gave the thing another shot & it pulled (1st gear only) for about 25-30 feet, then dropped again.

I had my mind set on just hitting a salvage yard and get a tranny.. however, the truck is my only means of transportation. Not to mention, where I'm currently located, the cheapest salvage yard tranny i can find runs $350-$400.00. So, any input that could shine a light on the possible problem would be greatly appreciated. I can't believe the tranny is shot, or it would never pull at all.

Here's hoping that someone may have a quick fix. Thanks Folks

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
It's not a quick fix. Could be the pump, could be the sunshell, could be something else. But your fluid looking like thin mud tells me it's toast and time for a rebuild or replacement.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What Matt said. You could also drop the trans pan and see whats in there, although it won't tell you if a sunshell or pump broke.
Actually it could if you find metal bits and pieces in the pan.

Definitely your fluid condition is a bad indication. If it hasn't been changed in a long time, the filter might be plugged. As a hail Mary, you could replace the fluid and filter. Because it did try to move after a restart, it could be trying but not getting enough fluid. Some have had success doing this.

L.PaulHill

Original poster
Jan 14, 2021
Thanks for the replies Folks, im still holding out hope that the tranny isn't toast. Im about to drop the intercooler line from the radiator (passenger side) today in an effort to check the pump and possibly flush out some of the sludge. Then Ill be dropping the pan to check for metal flakes. Ill return here to update my findings.

Thanks again!

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Drop pan (it's an easy enough job.) Look for broken bits of metal and that would be sign of major damage. If the pan is free of metal shrapnel then pump out all the old fluid (also easy) and install a new filter and add fresh fluid. It might not work perfect, but it could be use-able.

It's an interesting project. Upload some pictures.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online