Replace just the bad ball joint or all?

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Forgive me is this has been discussed before.

I just took my 06 in for an alignment check and they told me the upper left ball joint is bad and they can't do it. (I have confirmed this info after I left to make sure they weren't trying to reach into my pocket.)

I have 80K miles on it now and will be keeping for a while longer. Should I change out just the bad one and wait for the others to fail or suck it up and spend a day/weekend and change them all? Or any combination of the 4.

Also I have bought many parts from Rock before and have been happy, but it just occurred to me to ask..... How easy are they to cash-in on the lifetime warranties?

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
well, I always look at it this way, they all have the same mileage on them, if one has gone, how much longer till the others go? but hey I'm the guy that spent this weekend replacing my passenger side upper ball joint and complete lower control arm (200k miles on body so decided to do it all) will do the driverside next weekend, hopefully the modified upper arms will arrive by then. on mine the mechanic I had check everything out said the passenger lower was bad and the torn boots on the uppers had to much grit inside them to try to save them by swapping in new boots, so I said I'm replacing 3 already why not do all 4. If you can afford it, do it.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I usually do them all as a set or at least the upper or lower in pairs

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
thanks for the advice. I will do both uppers. Im not worried about the alignment because its the Firestone lifetime, and the tool rental is free from advanced. Its more of get it all done now (if the rest are quick to follow) or is this a freak think.

The guy at NAPA said that he does not sell alot of suspension parts for Trailblazers. So is 80K average for things or is mine premature?

How is Rockauto with warrentee stuff by the way?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.