Replace front/rear suspension on a airbag setup - STOCK HEIGHT

chicagotransam

Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Want to ditch the airbags and get a slightly firmer ride. I have read about the TBSS Bilsteins and Bilstein HD. I have also heard of people using Z71 springs but pretty sure those lift the truck. In order to keep the stock height, and get rid of this mushy ride, what combination would yall recommend?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Z71 are indeed for lift. Bilstein HD combined with OEM or Moog rear springs will stiffen it up nicely. How many miles do you have on the old shocks?

chicagotransam

Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
the roadie said:
Z71 are indeed for lift. Bilstein HD combined with OEM or Moog rear springs will stiffen it up nicely. How many miles do you have on the old shocks?

ODO shows 72k and HIGHLY doubt they've been replaced. I feel like I'm driving on a friggen waterbed. Does anyone sell the HDs OTC?

chicagotransam

Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Hmmph... Guess AutoZone carries em. Thanks for the reply!

If anyone else has input, please let me know. I don't want a "Corvette" stiff suspension, but don't want to feel that a lane change may result in me bouncing off the road.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Get the HD's. Unless you like the "water bed" feeling. Or possibly belltechs but they cost a little more and will make the ride firmer. Bigger sway bar will help too. The HD's are the popular choice by many.

chicagotransam

Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Are these the correct numbers?
REAR
24-103350

FRONT
24-103336

Noticed that the rear is listed as "air suspension"

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
chicagotransam said:
Are these the correct numbers?
REAR
24-103350

FRONT
24-103336

Noticed that the rear is listed as "air suspension"

Right number for what? ? U have a couple options people listed

chicagotransam

Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
jrSS said:
Right number for what? ? U have a couple options people listed

Only shock option has been Bilstein HD. Guess the part numbers I listed were correct. Should have them Monday. As for springs, probably going with Moog. I don't want a harsh ride and it sounds like the Beltechs would be exactly that

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Harsh and firm. Different strokes for different folks. All subjective to the individual.

Why are you replacing the springs? The HD's on stock springs will be firmer than now.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
chicagotransam said:
Only shock option has been Bilstein HD. Guess the part numbers I listed were correct. Should have them Monday. As for springs, probably going with Moog. I don't want a harsh ride and it sounds like the Beltechs would be exactly that

Yea ok.

chicagotransam

Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
Harsh and firm. Different strokes for different folks. All subjective to the individual.

Why are you replacing the springs? The HD's on stock springs will be firmer than now.

I have airbags

chicagotransam

Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Finished it up today... WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I actually feel the road now but it's not harsh. Three thumbs up for the Moog springs and Bilstein HDs

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenkick

Members Online