Replace engine Question

Uncle_Joe

Original poster
Jul 26, 2019
Texas
I see people remove the FWD drive shaft in order to life the whole engine but i wonder - could i take the oil pan off the block and just lift the engine block to replace it??

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not quite. You'll have a bear of a time to line it up again to bolt it back on without messing up the RTV on the sealing surface. And there's the pick up too that will likely get hooked up in there.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Whether removing the Crankcase-Oil Pan from the Bottom... or Pulling the Engine up and out through the Engine Bay... the Cross-Member acts as a barrier to movement in both cases and must be removed. Supporting and lowering the back of the Engine-Transmission can give you a bit more access to the Two Top Bell Housing Bolts that are very hard to reach.

Likewise, if you have already removed the Engine Head for any reason... accessing those Two Upper Bell Housing Bolts from the Upper Firewall area can make life much easier as well. Then you can thread in Four M11 X 2.00 Used H-10 Metric Hex Head Bolts (aka Cap Screws) through a Lift Chain and easily balance and Hoist the Engine up and out after that without having to worry about elevation clearance.

If you have not as yet done so... Visit this Link and Download a Complete GM Digital Shop Manual for your Year/Make/Model SUV (... Courtesy Our Benefactor... @Mooseman) as there will be some additional ASE GM Mechanic Quality Help with all the work involved:

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online