Replace 4l60e with 4l70e?

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Can this be a direct fit replacement should my 4l60e finally decide to crap out someday? 4l70e can handle more power so I've read... any thoughts?

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
From what I gather, the 4L65E and 4L70E are just a 4L60E with the upgraded internal parts that most 4L60E hop-up rebuilds do, anyway... They are both uncommon enough that you may just want to rebuild your 4L60E with all the good parts, and make it as strong or stronger than a 4L70E.

Mike

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Same trans when it comes down to it, the 65E variant has things like 5 pinion planetarys and a few other parts "beefed up" compared to the 60E. The 70E basically adds an ISS (Input Speed Sensor) and maybe a few other tweaks, but its not much different than a 65E.

Much better off buying a built 60E and being done with it, if you're junkyard shopping then it really doesnt matter. Remember, even though they share the same RPO code, I6 and 5.3L 4L60Es have different valve bodies and torque converters...

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yeah I figured they were mostly identical except for how much load they can take. I wish I had a trans temp gauge... and I've thought about installing a tranny cooler from pcm4less, even though I don't tow or off road much anymore with it.

SAR85

Jan 31, 2012
DenaliHD66 said:
Yeah I figured they were mostly identical except for how much load they can take. I wish I had a trans temp gauge... and I've thought about installing a tranny cooler from pcm4less, even though I don't tow or off road much anymore with it.

Have you thought about using a ScanGuage II or using another OBDii reader to read trans temp? I know many members use the ScanGuage and I use Torque on Android and it works very well. These also allow you to read other data that is not visible on the dashboard.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
SAR85 said:
Have you thought about using a ScanGuage II or using another OBDii reader to read trans temp? I know many members use the ScanGuage and I use Torque on Android and it works very well. These also allow you to read other data that is not visible on the dashboard.

No idea what any of that is. Also I don't have a smartphone so I am behind the "times" on electronics.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Love my Scanguage! I needed a trans cooler and it does keep it much cooler.

SAR85

Jan 31, 2012
DenaliHD66 said:
No idea what any of that is. Also I don't have a smartphone so I am behind the "times" on electronics.

Without a smartphone, it looks like a ScanGuage or other stand-alone device is the choice for you. I think there may be one or two other options (Dash hawk maybe) but I'm not sure of their exact capabilities.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sweet. Does this plug into the port under the steering wheel? Any suggestions for which model to get? I want it to be universal for a variety of vehicles...

SAR85

Jan 31, 2012
DenaliHD66 said:
Sweet. Does this plug into the port under the steering wheel? Any suggestions for which model to get? I want it to be universal for a variety of vehicles...

I don't have any personal experience with anything other than Torque on my phone (other than handheld scan tools) but I know many members here use the ScanGauge II, which allows additional PIDs (such as trans temp and oil life percent remaining) to be programmed in so they can be read. Here is a link: ScanGaugeII : Linear Logic - Home of the ScanGauge. The basic functionality (read/clear codes, basic engine data) should be able to work with any OBDii compliant vehicle, but trans temp and the other "X-Gauges" may not work with as many vehicles.

Hopefully members who own that tool will be able to answer additional questions that the website doesn't!

On a side note, I just realized I've been misspelling "gauge" in my previous posts in this thread...oops.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
DenaliHD66 said:

Yes it plugs into that port. I believe there is a thread on where people have the scangauge mounted as well.

I have the Scangauge II and it does all I need.

EDIT-- http://gmtnation.com/f23/how-did-you-mount-your-scangaugeii-2549/

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I don't have a DIC, but this gauge will be able to read my trans temp? Assuming my transmission already has something built in to keep track of that?

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
DenaliHD66 said:
I don't have a DIC, but this gauge will be able to read my trans temp? Assuming my transmission already has something built in to keep track of that?

Yes, the scanguage will be able to report any information the PCM/ECM/TCM sends over the databus. All 4L60/65/70Es have temp senders in them, the PCM or TCM uses that information to increase line pressures when the trans fluid is cold and make sure it doesnt overheat.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online