Removing Secondary Air Injection System

SBUBandit

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
My '06 needs a SAI pump, and while the cost of the pump isn't cheap, its also not too bad, looks like I can get one around $100. My bigger concern is these trucks tendency to devour SAI systems. I've had the valve replaced twice and now the pump is dead. Meanwhile, the SAI system isn't even necessary. I was looking at ShortBus's TB at the midwest meet, and realized his '06 LS does not have the system at all. This of course made me wonder, did they actually make a separate exhaust manifold, and the answer is no, they didn't. There is a block bolted in place where the valve should be, and his air box doesn't have the hoses for the SAI system. So here's the question.

I am considering removing the valve, and the pump, installing the block in place of the valve, and having the codes related to the SAI turned off by PCM4Less. Any thoughts. This would cost about the same as fixing it, but it would permanent.

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
I have it on my '04, and I understand it only operates for the first 40-60 seconds on cold startup. It's just some initial emissions controls and serves no purpose after that. I'd say if you can get the codes removed from the PCM, go for it!

SBUBandit

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
2004LS said:
I have it on my '04, and I understand it only operates for the first 40-60 seconds on cold startup. It's just some initial emissions controls and serves no purpose after that. I'd say if you can get the codes removed from the PCM, go for it!

Correct, all its supposed to do is warm up the cat faster to help it burn cleaner.

pejeeper

Jan 27, 2012
If PCM4Less can really remove the SAIS codes from the PCM then I'm in for a tune too. SO sick of that damn system...BUT is it emissions legal in New York?

If it is, then I know what I'm asking for for Father's Day.

SBUBandit

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
pejeeper said:
If PCM4Less can really remove the SAIS codes from the PCM then I'm in for a tune too.

I'm on it. I already sent them a message to see if they can do it.

SBUBandit

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
SBUBandit said:
I'm on it. I already sent them a message to see if they can do it.

Heard back from PCMforless, and yes, they can turn off the codes for the SAIS. Can't imagine they'd be able to tell emissions wise if it weren't there. It only runs on cold startups for the first 30 seconds. If you take the car in for inspection good and warm, it won't run anyways and the cat will already be up to temp, so it wouldn't matter anyways.

In theory you could leave the valve and pump in place and just unplug the valve and it would look like they were there, but I plan to pull the pump and valve and replace the valve with the filler block that came on trucks without the SAIS.

wink

Nov 30, 2011
I've been thinking about doing this for some time (over a year), you may have just motivated me to actually doing it.:thumbsup:

SBUBandit

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
wink said:
I've been thinking about doing this for some time (over a year), you may have just motivated me to actually doing it.:thumbsup:

About 50% of my motivation is the fact that the SAIS system is ignorant. I have no problem with helping the environment, but replacing parts of a crappily built, unnecessary system every year just isn't going to happen. The other 50% is the fact that this allows me to justify a tune to the wife. :thumbsup:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I am leaving mine in place and having the code for that and the fan clutch removed next week when my pcm goes in for the new tire size and gear ratio. They will remove any code you like.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I've struck out every time I've gone looking, including today. Trivial to fabricate one out of 1/4" aluminum plate, I'd imagine. Or go to the dealer. It's either a $0.79 part or $79, hard to predict.

SBUBandit

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
the roadie said:
It's either a $0.79 part or $79, hard to predict.

No kidding, I've gone in for parts and have them just give them to me cause it wasn't worth their time to ring it up and I've had parts that fit in the palm of my hand that I thought I was going to have to call the bank to approve the charge.

On a side note, I saw first hand that Short Bus's truck has that plate, if it were to be found unattended....just sayin.

SBUBandit

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
OK, here's an update. I not only found the part, I found the GM part number!

The part is simply called "Cover" which is why it took me forever to find in diagrams, but its part number 12574378, and it costs $6.04. I am ordering one Thursday so I can pick it up at the dealership Saturday when I have the oil changed on my car. Then I'll yank the whole SAIS system out of the truck and put the cover in. All that will be left is having PCM4Less program out the codes and give a big middle finger to the EPA and call it a day.

Just a side note for fun, I found the part at one junkyard, they wanted $40 for it.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
For that price, I may go ahead and pull mine and cap it off.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
the roadie said:
... as long as you're done having kids, that's a winning procedure to have done. :rotfl: :wink:

The wife would MURDER me. She wants 2nd little one bad...

rryyyaannn

Feb 6, 2012
I'm dealing with the same issue on my 06 TB. I pulled the hose off the valve and still had air blowing through it on a cold start. Does this mean the pump is still working. I'm going to pull the valve and clean it to see if that helps. Next step is to cap it off, glad I found out that this was possible.

SBUBandit

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
wink said:
I used a piece of scrap aluminum. :thumbsup:

Untitled.jpg

Nice work, well now you have a part number should you ever decide for $6 to get the actual part that goes there.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
SBUBandit said:
Nice work, well now you have a part number should you ever decide for $6 to get the actual part that goes there.
:rotfl: Something tells me an aggressive lifted offroader like Wink, who carries his mud proudly like a badge of honor, and can fabricate things out of metal other than beer cans, is going to save his $6. :wink:

But we all appreciate the part number for the archives. :thumbsup:

rugbydelboy

Nov 5, 2012
the roadie said:
:rotfl: Something tells me an aggressive lifted offroader like Wink, who carries his mud proudly like a badge of honor, and can fabricate things out of metal other than beer cans, is going to save his $6. :wink:

But we all appreciate the part number for the archives. :thumbsup:

I keep getting this code (P0410)and in Canada the E Test has changed and I know my truck will not pass in 2 years with the check engine light on and stored codes such as this.....maybe I missed something............................. I can make a plate out of Aluminum....the joys of being a millwright........but how do I remove the codes from the Logic so the truck will pass the new test????????????????

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I had pcmforless remove my code and left the system intact last year. No issues at all. No Codes and performance is perfect.

rugbydelboy

Nov 5, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
I had pcmforless remove my code and left the system intact last year. No issues at all. No Codes and performance is perfect.

Is there anyone in Canada, specifically near Toronto who can remove ths code???

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Don't forget to also pull the fuses under the hood (#54, 55, 56)... No sense wasting juice having the computer try to run that pump and solenoid if they're dead and/or blocked off.

For anyone who has access to HPTuners or similar, find code P0410, uncheck the SES indicator, and change the mode to "No error reported". I've had mine changed and the fuses pulled for the past several weeks. It's so nice not seeing the SES on my dash! And as far as I can tell, this also is correctly preventing any error codes from being stored for the absence of the SAI pump.

tricguy007

Dec 7, 2011
The only problem with the factory one is u have to shim out the bolts because the bolts r longer and the mounting surface is shorter but the one limeswap sells is made for the longer bolts and its a buck more ($7)

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Shdwdrgn said:
Don't forget to also pull the fuses under the hood (#54, 55, 56)... No sense wasting juice having the computer try to run that pump and solenoid if they're dead and/or blocked off.

Guess I could do that.

SBUBandit

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
DenaliHD66 said:
What is this SAI valve? Where is it located? Is it only on certain years/models?

Secondary Air Injection. A little gift from our friends at the EPA. When the vehicle cold starts, the Catalytic Converter isn't as efficient as when its hot, so the SAI blows air through a valve mounted on the manifold. The extra oxygen being blown into the exhaust cause the cat to heat up faster.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The SAIS started with the 2004's. My 2003 doesn't have it.

tmm217

Oct 18, 2012
Wow what a great savings and no headache way to fix this SAIS. I was going to try to get this running again put if its just gonna be a problem this plate is the way to go. My dealer got this plate next day and yep only $6.59. Thanks again to the guy that found this part, I wouldve never thought there was a block off plate made for this.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
tmm217 said:
I wouldve never thought there was a block off plate made for this.

Supprised? My truck doesn't have the SAIS so it comes from the factory with a block off plate.

Wooluf1952 said:
The SAIS started with the 2004's. My 2003 doesn't have it.

So for vehicles made after 2003, why do some continue to not have SAIS?

tmm217

Oct 18, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Supprised? My truck doesn't have the SAIS so it comes from the factory with a block off plate.

Just consider yourself lucky! This system has never really worked for me. You do have the I6 right?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
CaptainXL said:
So for vehicles made after 2003, why do some continue to not have SAIS?

They continue to not have it because it wasn't a dealer option and magic isn't real. :biggrin:

rugbydelboy

Nov 5, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
They continue to not have it because it wasn't a dealer option and magic isn't real. :biggrin:
So after reading this full thread to get rid of my P0410 code all I have to do is to put the blanking plate in between the valve and the block and clear the code or do I still have to find someone in Ontario who can go into the PCM to remove the code from there???????

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011

rugbydelboy said:
So after reading this full thread to get rid of my P0410 code all I have to do is to put the blanking plate in between the valve and the block and clear the code or do I still have to find someone in Ontario who can go into the PCM to remove the code from there???????

You have to have the PCM reprogammed to ignore the codes completely.
And the plate goes on instead of the valve, not with it.

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Also if you are going to use the blanking plate, you should probably close off the air line between your intake and the air pump.

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
My question is this. Does the A.I.R. system actually cause the Cat to warm faster for reduced emissions, OR does adding clean air to the exhaust lower the Parts Per Million of hydrocarbons by adding more parts of clean air?
IF Polution is the problem Dilution is the Solution!:raspberry:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.