Removing Seat Bolts

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
I removed the third row seat from my TB EXT and it left me with three stud bolts sticking up across the floor. I would like to remove these without cutting them, if possible, so I can reinstall them and the seat if needed. Looking underneath the TB, I do not see any obvious welds holding the studs in place. I am wondering if I can use a block on top of a flushed nut (to protect the threads) and a hammer to knock these out, flip them and then retighten the nuts from underneath so the holes are filled. Or are they indeed welded into place somehow?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I wanted to do the same thing in my EXT, but I couldn't find an easy way to get them out. A former member who removed their 3rd row seats said they just cranked down on the nuts until the studs popped out, they are welded in there somewhere. I tried my luck as well, intending to tap the holes and use some bolts in the future when I needed the 3rd row again. Naturally, the center bolt snapped off flush with the floor. :hissyfit:

I left the 2 outer studs as they are far enough out of the way. I left the 3rd row seat belts in place, so having the studs there keeps them from swinging around. Put the rubber caps on the studs for convenience.

Reactions: Mooseman

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
I will have to crawl under again and look closer at the underside of the lugs to see if I can spot the welds and, if I see them, grind them down some before trying the tighten-to-break method. At least for the center one because it is the most in the way. I had to pull off the interior panels to 1) install an amp in the jack well (it came without the OE jack) and 2) start diagnosing the inoperable rear hvac blower (haven't found the problem yet). Since I had those panels off, I completely removed the belts, bagged them with their hardware and put them in storage with the 3rd row seat.

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
Well, I found the weld, but the freon lines for the rear hvac prevented me from getting my mini dremel up to grind it. So, like you, I wrenched on it... until it snapped off at the floor. C'est la vie.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online