Removing pin strip/accent running across body panels

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Hey everyone! Does anyone have advice on how to remove aftermarket pin stripping/accents?

I assume this was done aftermarket by the dealer, but there is this lone silver strip that starts at the front fender and goes across the door panels and ends at the rear (it covers both sides of the truck). I don't mind it (when its in tact), but as you can see in the picture the middle portion is fading on the doors (both sides are badly faded) and to me it just doesn't look right so I'm looking into finding ways of removing it. I snagged these before washing the truck, so hopefully its easy to see. Is there something I can spray and rub it off, or does it require a bit of work?

Also don't mind the scratches....thats part of my next project when I tackle my first paint correction.

Attachments

• 20180908_163113.jpg
    20180908_163113.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180908_163120.jpg
    20180908_163120.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180908_163140.jpg
    20180908_163140.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 12

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Hey everyone! Does anyone have advice on how to remove aftermarket pin stripping/accents?

I assume this was done aftermarket by the dealer, but there is this lone silver strip that starts at the front fender and goes across the door panels and ends at the rear (it covers both sides of the truck). I don't mind it (when its in tact), but as you can see in the picture the middle portion is fading on the doors (both sides are badly faded) and to me it just doesn't look right so I'm looking into finding ways of removing it. I snagged these before washing the truck, so hopefully its easy to see. Is there something I can spray and rub it off, or does it require a bit of work?

Also don't mind the scratches....thats part of my next project when I tackle my first paint correction.
Have you tried an eraser wheel?
I was never able to get mine completely off even using an eraser wheel. Seems mine was under the clear coat :hissyfit:Yours doesn't appear to be though.

Reactions: Mike534x

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Have you tried an eraser wheel?
I was never able to get mine completely off even using an eraser wheel. Seems mine was under the clear coat :hissyfit:Yours doesn't appear to be though.

I have not! It didn't even cross my mind honestly. This looks like it was done aftermarket since it can be felt when you run your fingers over it.

Heat gun, plastic spackle blade, goof off or mineral oil and whole lot of patience.

I do have a heat gun, just need to get the Spackle blade and goof off. I figured this wouldn't be that easy of a job, and since its faded/broken up in certain parts I'm *hoping* it will be a somewhat easy job.

Reactions: Capote

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
If it's like mine and above the clear coat, you can use a rag with a small amount of acetone on it to get the paint off. Follow it up with a wash and a wax and it'll look fine.

Petnatcar

Oct 17, 2017
Watertown, NY

- A heat gun will soften the vinyl but it will break when you start pulling on it, alternatively
- Soak the stripes with Adhesive Remover a few times before scraping.
- A small flexible plastic scraper (like the red one) is best.
Short angled strokes seem to work well.
- Use Adhesive Remover with a soft rag to clean up adhesive.
- Rub a little polishing compound on to brighten up the area.

Unfortunately depending on the color of your car you may end up with some ghost shadows of the stripes where the sun burned in the paint around the stripes.

I'm a retired sign painter and I used that remover on the side of a truck once to clear the old adhesive. It smells like oranges but it was still a dirty job.

Attachments

• DSCN3712.JPG
    DSCN3712.JPG
    554.9 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN3715.JPG
    DSCN3715.JPG
    379.1 KB · Views: 3

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Another alternative is car wash w/ a high pressure gun. Set it on 'rinse', which is the highest pressure, typically.

You'll need a steady hand, as you have to hold the gun very close to the surface, at about a 45 degree angle. You'll know it's close enough when you see the water output begin to 'fan' the surface.

This works better if you've got an area that's already a little loose. But if you do, you can watch it peel off the tape striping. I'd guess that 'starting' the peel with the plastic scraper on each panel, before you drive to the wash and fire up the HP gun, may work wonders. Follow up with your cleaner of choice (Goof Off, acetone, etc.)

As mentioned, you may still see some 'shadow' from where the stripes used to be.

I found this out kinda by accident when I was removing some 'baked-on' residue nearby (although, when it happened, it was on a very cold winter day). Once I saw what it was doing, I continued on alongside the rear door, just for giggles (my Voy isn't a beauty queen; I only wash her to get the salt off in the winter, or if it was victim of a bird bombing run.)

Having the truck out in the sun for awhile before you put the gun on it may help, as well.)

If you have access to a pressure washer, and especially if it can heat or use heated water (do any do this - ?), the process might be accelerated somewhat.

I take no responsibility for any paint damage you may incur (saw none on my own)

And why anyone would tape stripe a Denali is beyond me... :duh:

Reactions: Mike534x

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
I appreciate the help everyone! Honestly, I can't tell if its vinyl or tape. Upon touching it, it does feel like paint but I could be wrong. After checking out the spots where its faded to being nonexistent, I'm not seeing any signs of "shadowing" so I think I'm safe from it being noticeable when its fully removed. I did blast it a bit with the power wash but no go so I guess goo off and the eraser wheel is the next step.

It wouldn't bother me too much if it was actually intact. Now, if they were smart they could have at least painted the bottom panels silver so it would be silver on black two tone and make this thing stand out. :yes:

Though I guess that'll be my spring project experimenting with plasti dip.

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
You know it might actually be vinyl after all, I went outside and picked at it with my finger nail and its peeling up in little bits.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
If it's doing that, see if you can keep your 'approach angle' low (no higher than 45 degrees), and get a 1-2" section started. Keeping tension on the now-free tape with thumb & forefinger of one hand, use the forefinger of the other hand to lift up on the tape, just short of the (now receding) attachment point.

As the tape lifts up, 'reel in' the lifted segment behind, so that you maintain 2-3" of space between hands (I use my remaining fingers on the 'tension' hand, or bring over the 'lifting' hand as needed to ball up the removed tape).

With luck / practice, you'll be able to lift it up in larger segments.

When it breaks off, you'll already have the remaining section 'pre-started' - it'll be easy to get another good chunk off before it breaks off again. 'Slower' is better, with this approach, and keeping correct tension (at a low angle) is key.

If that doesn't work, since you can remove it in small pieces, just go at it with the plastic scraper. The thinner the blade, the better. Keep it as parallel to the body surface as possible (which will help keep you from gouging / scratching the clear coat) and again, work slowly.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online