removing lower steering wheel shroud to get at ignition switch

greggraves

Original poster
Mar 30, 2014
2006 TB. Am I supposed to just wrestle that lower shroud loose? There are no screws. The manual says to remove the steering wheel etc., but another post says that shroud "easily" popped loose. I'm not against going out there and ripping it down, but I'd rather not break it. Is there some trick?:crazy:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
There are hidden snaps. Once you get it out it will be obvious. I know, that's not a useful advice. Not certain anybody's taken pictures, but here's the factory description:

Disengage the closeout trim cover (2) from the upper trim cover (1) in the following order:
5.1. Stand in front of the column from the drivers point of view.

5.2. On the left side, gently pull downwards on the left side of the closeout trim cover to loosen 1 snap. Do NOT fully remove the closeout trim cover.

5.3. On the right side, gently pull downwards on the right side of the closeout trim cover to loosen 1 snap. Do NOT fully remove the closeout trim cover.

5.4. Starting from the left side of the trim covers, gently roll the closeout trim cover to the right to disengage the remaining 4 snaps.

Important: You must inspect for 2 pan head tapping screws (2) in the lower trim cover (1) before removal.

If necessary, remove the 2 pan head tapping screws (2) from the lower trim cover (1).

Gently unsnap the lower trim cover from the upper trim cover.
If equipped, disconnect the electrical connector from the power switch.
Remove the lower trim cover.
Unclip the power pedal switch from the lower cover.

Important: You must inspect for 1 TORX® head screw (3) in the upper trim cover (1) before removal.

If necessary, remove 1 TORX® head screw (3) from the upper trim cover (1) and the closeout trim cover (2) for removal.
If no screw is present, remove the upper trim cover (1) with the closeout trim cover (2).

View attachment 34059

Attachments

• 2011-02-23_020430_lower_column_cover.jpg
    2011-02-23_020430_lower_column_cover.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 4

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
Someone posted a set of pictures of them replacing their ignition switch, but I can't find it!

Jared

greggraves

Original poster
Mar 30, 2014
Removing the 'close out trim' is only possible if you have removed the steering wheel. That means I have to take it somewhere. Some folks say they got it off without removing the steering wheel. The also said they got the tilt lever thing off by pulling on it really hard (I even tried prying on it with a screw driver to no avail). I think I am screwed.

I found the pictures, but there are no pictures of removing that lower cowling, only of replacing the actual switch. I also have the 2006 TB service manual (remove the steering wheel ....

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
greggraves said:
The also said they got the tilt lever thing off by pulling on it really hard (I even tried prying on it with a screw driver to no avail). I think I am screwed.
A screwdriver should be good for the lever. Add some protection and a fulcrum to increase the force you can apply. They're not glued on.

You can always just break a tang or two off to get a feel with how it works. It will reassemble just fine without all of them being there. Take a leap of faith - what's the worst that will happen? You'll need glue or duct tape to put it together. Not the end of the world. It's not like it's your parent's car......is it? :wink:

greggraves

Original poster
Mar 30, 2014
Well I took it to a mechanic/friend for $20, and he ran his service that tells him how to fix everything to do it right. He horsed that lower cowling off and pulled the tilt lever off ... both requiring a lot of force. However, here is what I learned:

You can't just drop the switch in a 2006 TB and pop a new one in. There is a set of wires that goes through the clip on the side of the switch (look at the new one to see). You have to take the torx bolt off that is hidden to the right of the steering wheel that holds the top cowling in place. You have to lift the top cowling off in order to get some slack in those wires, and then get them off the switch. You also need to remove the harness plug from the switch BEFORE you push on those 2 tabs to drop it. It takes a lot of force and wiggling about to get that tang pushed in and to get the harness plug off ... a lot easier with the switch still inside its metal cave. You can't use a normal screwdriver to push in the tangs that drop the old switch because one of the tang openings (the forward one) is partially blocked by some sort of doodad; my mechanic had some thin prongy things he slid by the obstruction to push that forward tang in so the switch would slide out.

Now that I've seen how it is done, piece of cake. Ha ha. :wootwoot:

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
The_Roadie said:
I prefer the free break-stuff-and-then-duct-tape-it-back-together process, but then I care nothing about appearance. :rotfl:

Thanks for the report. Got any pics for future searchers to find?
That means "+1 for Jared".

Jared

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online

No members online now.