remote starter issue

jamienfld

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
My remote starter is not working. I got in the trailblazer and hit the button for the door locks i can hear a click under the dash but it wont lock or unlock the door. If i push the start button the lights will come on but dont start. If i use the remote entry remote that came with trailblazer it will lock and unlock the doors? Only doing it with the aftermarket remote starter.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
How can it be anything other than a bad aftermarket unit or flaky connections? Who put it in and when? What brand? Are you going to troubleshoot it yourself with a meter or bring it back to the installer?

MMIN

Feb 26, 2012
Sounds like the bypass either went bad or needs to be reprogrammed (was the battery disconnected recently..?) Since the vehicle is responding to the commands sounds like the main remote start module is OK but the bypass isn't finishing things off.. Most remote starters have very good warranties I would try going back to who installed it and see what they say. Unfortunately while the main remote start module and labor usually has a lifetime warranty, the bypass module often is only covered for a 1 year warranty - but most shops would work with you I know we would cover it beyond that.

jamienfld

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
what happened was I had used encoder motor put in trailblazer in Jan. After 4 months that one gave out so was covered under 1 year part and labour. They put another encoder motor in. But before they put it in they found couple corrded wires comiming from wire harness and fixed them. Now the remote starter was working before I brought the truck to them. So could it be a wire broke off when they were fixing the encoder motor? they were closed when i found out it was not working and not open now until monday.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
They (whoever "they" is) will probably deny involvement because the encoder motor is bolted to the side of the transfer case down below, and the remote start modules are in the dash. Harness issues are unlikely. Has anybody been behind the dash recently?

jamienfld

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
I don't think anyone was at the dash. It must be something they did cause was working before i took it to them. Strange the factory remote can lock and unlock the doors and all the remote starter does is make clicking noise under dash. I'm going to call them monday and ask if something they did could of caused it. But like you said they may just say nothing they could of done would cause that. if i took it to a place that installs remote starters wonder if they could fix it?

jamienfld

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
It was already in the truck when I bought it. So i'm not sure where it was installed. Really sucks to was happy to get the 4wd working again and now this happenes.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Is there any way to trouble shoot the unit. IE, when I installed a new tailgate LED bar it was backfeeding into the brake output wire, causing the unit to think someone was pushing the brakes. I still need to install a diode to prevent this but disconnecting the running light wire at the trailer harness.

I would see if there is any way to see why it is not working. If it is clicking it is getting signal from the remote then. As Roadie always says if you do not own a DMM, buy one. Next step if you are willing to dive this deep, there is a list of the basic connections to make an aftermarket system work in the Trailblazer.

http://gmtnation.com/f36/alarm-remote-start-questions-1636/

The reason the door locks still work is because the factory key fob has its own brain, if the bypass module is bad then the system that is required to bypass anti theft system is not allowing the vehicle to start. IS the Remote start even an aftermarket one or is it a factory add on?

jamienfld

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Thats a good question im not sure if it's aftermarket or factory remote starter add on. It was already installed in truck when i bought it. It came with few owners manulas but no remote starter manual. I received 2 remotes with the trailblazer one was remote for just locking and unlocking and panic button this remote works fine it locks and unlocks. the other remote is the remote starter one and that wont evem lock or unlock just makes the clicking noise. Would there be a fuse for this? I'm no good with eletronics so no good for me to even try to fix myself. So i guess the remote starter would be under the dash somewhere?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Ok so you have the basic lock/unlock key fobs, and the separate remote for the remote start. Does the remote start have the ability to also lock/unlock? Can you take a picture of the Remote start fob? Does it have any labeling on it that would suggest it is not from GM?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
MMIN said:
Sounds like the bypass either went bad or needs to be reprogrammed....Since the vehicle is responding to the commands sounds like the main remote start module is OK but the bypass isn't finishing things off

Agreed 100%.

In our trucks, when we add remote start, we also need a bypass to operate the door locks and passlock.

If the bypass craps out, the door locks won't work with the r/s remote, and the r/s won't crank. I had the exact thing happen with the GMDLBP bypass that I used. I was able to reset mine by unplugging the GMDLBP and plugging it back in. Eventually, it happened frequently enough that I bought a new GMDLBP and have had no problems since.

If you want to try to tackle this yourself, you'll have to find the bypass first. This is usually done by removing the trim panels under the drivers side of the dash and looking for a wire that is tapped into the purple wire of the obd2 connector. Follow that wire and it will lead you to the bypass.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I'm fairly certain GM never offered a factory remote start option on our platform, especially on domestic models. Some dealers might have snuck one in, charged a premium price for it, and what they claimed is unknowable at this date.

Without schematics, a meter and experience, a DIY fix is impossible. Engage a professional.

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
I agree sounds like the bypass is crapped out, if the shop that changed the encoder disconnected the battery it may need to be updated, any shop that installs them should have a pkloader to reset the programming if you were near me i could flash it for free, this happened to one of my customers cars a 98 honda accord, get to the bypass and take it to your nearest install shop they should be able to help you

jamienfld

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
ok thx for the help i'll do as roadie said and bring to someone that knows what to do. if i try I might screw something up.

jamienfld

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
went out to check under dash for any loose wires. Was one going to a little black box fixed that now its working again. again thx for the help

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
jamienfld said:
went out to check under dash for any loose wires. Was one going to a little black box fixed that now its working again. again thx for the help

That little black box was probably the bypass. Good job, and thanks for following up with the fix!:thumbsup:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Makes me feel stupid for disregarding the simple idea that a wire can fall out and be such an obvious repair without knowing what the wire did. I'd be obsessed :crazy: with knowing what wire it was, what brand the remote was and the bypass, who installed it, and how it caused the symptoms. But since the truck's fixed, all's right with the world. Congrats! :thumbsup:

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
That was most likely the GROUND WHILE RUNNING WIRE if this connection between the alarm and the bypass comes undone the controls will stop working

jamienfld

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Not sure what wire it was. fooled around with the little wire harness that was going into back of the little black box started to work so taped it in place. could be the connector itself was loose. I think it is a autostart remote starter.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
If he lost GWR the doors would still lock/unlock. Not trying to argue, just saying.

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
No argument needed, you are correct sir, i cought t hat after i just read your post it was early, i should have said the data wire. Oops :o oh well lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.