Remote start

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Hello everyone. I don't know if this post belongs here but my question is how do I put an aftermarket remote start system in my tb? Is there anything I should know in regards to the factory passlock remote system? I have installed an aftermarket radio with the adapter box RP5GM11 if that matters.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
FWIW... This is a generic "Plug and Play" Remote Starter Installation Video suitable for the Trailblazers and Envoys that involves the VOP (Video Original Poster) removing an Old RSU "Bag-O'-Snakes" and professionally installing a "Crime Stopper Unit":

Here again is the Same VOP installing a "Turbo Electronics Remote Starter Kit" in a 2003 Envoy... with a 'Hands On Wire In' approach:

...and finally... Here is the "Commando Car Alarms" Wiring Diagram of the 2002-2007 Trailblazer-Envoy Vehicles to compare and contrast against the Audio Dialogue from the VOP as he works on BOTH Installations:

PART​
COLOR​
LOCATION​
12 VOLT CONSTANT​
RED (+) @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
STARTER​
YELLOW (+) @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
STARTER 2​
N/A
IGNITION 1​
PINK (+) @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
IGNITION 2​
WHITE (+) @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
IGNITION 3​
N/A
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1​
ORANGE (+) @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 2​
BROWN (+) @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
KEYSENSE​
N/A
PARKING LIGHTS ( - )​
GRAY/BLACK (-) @ HEADLIGHT SWITCH
PARKING LIGHTS ( + )​
BROWN (+) IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL
POWER LOCK​
SEE NOTE #1
POWER UNLOCK​
SEE NOTE #1
DOOR TRIGGER​
GRAY/BLACK (+) @ UNDER DASH LIGHT
DOMELIGHT SUPERVISION​
USE DOOR TRIGGER
TRUNK RELEASE​
N/A
SLIDING POWER DOOR​
N/A
HORN​
BLACK or BLACK/YELLOW (-) @ STEERING COLUMN HARNESS
TACH​
WHITE (AC) @ PCM, BLUE PLUG, PIN 49, SEE NOTE #2
WAIT TO START LIGHT​
N/A
BRAKE​
WHITE (+) @ BRAKE PEDAL SWITCH
FACTORY ALARM DISARM​
LT. GREEN (-) @ DRIVERS DOOR MODULE, IN DOOR
ANTI-THEFT​
GM'S PASSLOCK 2 ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM, See NOTE #1 @ IGNITION SWITCH

EXTRA INFORMATION​
NOTE #1: This vehicle is Equipped with GM'S PASSLOCK 2 Anti-theft System that requires the 791 Bypass Module for REMOTE STARTING ONLY, if you have a REMOTE STARTER with KEYLESS ENTRY this vehicle will require part # DB-ALL or XK09, to order please go to the INTERFACE BYPASS MODULE Page on this website. NOTE #2: The PCM is located on the Drivers Side of the Motor.

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

In the GM Factory OEM "Keyless Entry" Setup... The BCM and LGM are intimately co-involved. However, in this Self-Contained "Plug-N-Play" sort of design in the After-Market Products... as shown in both Videos... they seem to not need to get involved with the BCM in any way, shape or form. YMMV from Other Member Suggestions.

@Stuntmanmike77... Regarding whether or not these types of installations are considered for "DIY" work...it would depend on whether you have some decent skills with Basic Electrical Wiring and Wire-Electronic Schematics Reading ability... as well as having the -=Stones=- (8) to mess around with their Equipment and arcane Instruction. What often seems simple and straightforward on paper...can easily descend into the Hell of "Wire Spaghetti Soup" if things are not where thay are supposed to be 'Down in the Basement' under your Dashboard and cooperate with you.

As for which type and selection of Keyless Entry-Remote Start "Plug-N-Play" Hardware to Choose from and BUY... Scour eBay and Amazon as well as making a Google Search or Two on the topics of the "Best Plug and Play Remote Start Up System for Trailblazers and Envoys" and see what *Pops* 8>)

Last edited:

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Welcome to GMT Nation...

In the GM Factory OEM "Keyless Entry" Setup... The BCM and LGM are intimately co-involved. However, in this Self-Contained "Plug-N-Play" sort of design in the After-Market Products... as shown in both Videos... they seem to not need to get involved with the BCM in any way, shape or form. YMMV from Other Member Suggestions.

@Stuntmanmike77... Regarding whether or not these types of installations are considered for "DIY" work...it would depend on whether you have some decent skills with Basic Electrical Wiring and Wire-Electronic Schematics Reading ability... as well as having the -=Stones=- (8) to mess around with their Equipment and arcane Instruction. What often seems simple and straightforward on paper...can easily descend into the Hell of "Wire Spaghetti Soup" if things are not where thay are supposed to be 'Down in the Basement' under your Dashboard and cooperate with you.

As for which type and selection of Keyless Entry-Remote Start "Plug-N-Play" Hardware to Choose from and BUY... Scour eBay and Amazon as well as making a Google Search or Two on the topics of the "Best Plug and Play Remote Start Up System for Trailblazers and Envoys" and see what *Pops* 8>)
I've never seen a "Plug and Play" remote start kit for the trailblazer... I've seen an inline steering column harness but it was discontinued years back. Everything else is loose wires to connect.

Three basic things you need: a remote start unit, a bypass module for the security, and a good wiring diagram. These gm platforms are pretty straightforward and 90% of the connections are done to the steering column wiring harness. i think there was maybe 3 wires that were separate from the column harness (brake switch, park lights, and data connection), the other 10 or so went to the harness.

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online