Remote start system + extra feautures

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
Hello,

Disclaimer: I'm still in the planning phase and will start the work in a couple of months after I get everything figured out.

I've been kind of going back and forth about getting the Viper 5706V, or preferably the 5906V aftermarket security and remote start systems for the past couple of years (yeah, that long :stars:).

I do understand that there will be no warranty unless purchased from and installed by dealer, but there isn't one where I live, and it's not like I'd let someone else do the dirty work for me.

Now, I believe I have enough knowledge and resources to finish the basic installation of the remote start and alarm system.

My vehicle is a 2005 Trailblazer LS with none of the fancy options from factory. The only modifications I made are upgrading the head unit and replacing dash and all interiors to blue.

The part that I need help with, is the extra features and selection of bypass module.

I'd like to have the following extra features:

- HVAC cooling after remote starting when the car is hot.
- Vent, open, and close all windows.
- Retain the factory chirp when locking twice.
- Trunk open (if possible, not necessary).

The culprit:
- I want to know which bypass module to get, since I have the LS trim with none of the fancy options.

- I have the manual dual climate control, so I'd like to know if it's possible to run the A/C when the car is remote started, or dooes it have to be automatic dual climate control. I know for a fact that the Viper alarm control module has a built in temperature sensor.

- I'm not sure how to go about tapping into the window controls. I also know for a fact that Viper alarm system does have the option to do the vent, open, and close windows feature.

- I'm not sure if the factory chirp can be done from the Viper system. I know it has it's own speaker and that is used for chirps as well, but I want the one when locking twice to be same as factory.

- It's not really necessary but it would be nice to open trunk from remote, wouldn't it? :tongue:

Sorry for the long post, but figured better to throw it all out there at once.

Regards,
H4L

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
Update:

Based on the HVAC schematics from the sticky'd thread of @Mooseman (Thx for supplying them to everyone :tiphat:) I can see that the A/C compressor clutch itself is controlled through the HVAC Class 2 Serial Data, making things a teeny bit more complex. Unless, of course, either the bypass module (that I haven't chosen yet) or the Viper controller can turn on the compressor through the class 2 serial data.

The blower motor doesn't seem to be much of a problem, as speed 5 seems to simply turn the relay in the resistor pack on, which I believe that can be done through Viper's controller. Still not sure about making it automatically do it, I guess I have to dig into the Viper's controller further.

With the A/C compressor turned on by class 2 serial data and blower motor turned by the relay, the car should start cooling.

I don't want to hot-wire the A/C compressor as I know that the compressor goes through on/off cycles.

I'd really appreciate any further insights on controlling the HVAC class 2 serial data part.

HVAC is obviously my main concern. After I get that crossed off the list I'll look into tackling the other features I want.

Regards,
H4L

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's actually controlled by the PCM, where it looks at different parameters like low pressure switch, high pressure sensor, outside temp, throttle (off at WOT), engine temp (if overheated) and receives the command from the HVAC control via the serial data to turn the relay for the compressor clutch on if all of those parameters jive and cycles it as necessary. And also commands the fan (02-07).

Reactions: Hobbyist4Life

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
Looking further into this, it seems like the optimum solution for running the A/C is to simply put the blower control at the desired speed.

That should, in theory, run the A/C when the car is remote started regardless of the temperature.

It seems like the bypass module is a major part of figuring out how to run features, and if they're possible to run in the first place.

I'm saying all of this as it seems like the temperature sensor that is build into the Viper's controller is only used to either turn the defogger on at low temps, or report the temperature to the HD Remote if it changes by ±1° while remote started.

As long as the bypass module being unknown, it seems like the windows vent/open/close can be achieved by connecting to 2 auxiliaries (idk if it can be done using just 1) and setting that auxiliary to "Validity" where it will keep the output on until the button is released. Meaning 1 auxiliary to vent/open, and another one to close the windows, unless someone can show me a better way.

I'm done for the night, gotta have some rest. Will continue investigations within a couple of days.

It's actually controlled by the PCM, where it looks at different parameters like low pressure switch, high pressure sensor, outside temp, throttle (off at WOT), engine temp (if overheated) and receives the command from the HVAC control via the serial data to turn the relay for the compressor clutch on if all of those parameters jive and cycles it as necessary. And also commands the fan (02-07).

Yea, that's what I found out. But interesting enough, I don't have the outside temp sensor. Not sure if that's because I have the manual climate control :undecided:

I only talked about controlling the HVAC serial data because I saw that it's the source that tells the PCM to run the compressor.

Regards,
H4L

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What the bypass does is command the vehicle to start by bypassing the VATS. Better ones can also command different things like heated seats, rear defog, windows, etc. via the serial bus. However, I think you still need to set the HVAC to what you want before shutting the truck. That's always been like that.

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
I wonder if the better ones would be able to control the Trailblazer's windows :undecided:. I haven't checked the circuitry for the windows yet, but I don't think they have any serial data.

If anything it would have to be wired to the bypass module :undecided::undecided:. I'm pretty sure it can be done as I've seen a video of a Viper system (professionally installed on a mustang) that has the window controls by holding the lock/unlock buttons.

I'll definitely have to look into the bypass modules in the coming days. Are there any brands to avoid or go to?

Regards,
H4L

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think Fortin has some of the better interfaces/bypasses but I'm not sure any could control our windows since those are actually controlled by the DDM and PDM, not the BCM. They are on the serial bus since they can be updated via the OBDII connector.

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
After extensive research of bypass modules, it seems like the only module that can control the windows on the TB is the Directed (formerly Xpresskit) XK01.

But all the documentations on this module mentions that it does window roll ups, but there's nothing mentioned about roll down.

I can't seem to find any information on whether it does roll down or not. I'd appreciate it if anyone with XK01 installed would chime in.

Regards,
H4L

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
window rollup only

Functions Supported for: XK01 with and 2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

W2W

• AV-Panic Mode Activation
  • CC-Heated Mirrors
  • CC-Heated Seats Activation
  • CC-Power Mirror Memory
  • CC-Power Seat Memory
  • CC-Power Windows Rollup
  • CC-Radio Channel Memory
  • CC-Rear Window Defogger Activation
  • DL-Arm Factory Security
  • DL-Disarm Factory Security
  • DL-Door Lock Control
  • DL-Door Unlock
  • DL-Driver Priority Unlock
  • DL-Trunk / Hatch Release
  • PK-Immobilizer Bypass-Data No Key Req'd
  • RS-RAP Shut Down (Retained ACC Power)
  • SS-Entry Monitoring Trunk/Hatch Pin
D2D
  • AV-Panic Mode Activation
  • CC-Heated Mirrors
  • CC-Heated Seats Activation
  • CC-Power Mirror Memory
  • CC-Power Seat Memory
  • CC-Power Windows Rollup
  • CC-Radio Channel Memory
  • CC-Rear Window Defogger Activation
  • DL-Arm Factory Security
  • DL-Disarm Factory Security
  • DL-Door Lock Control
  • DL-Door Unlock
  • DL-Driver Priority Unlock
  • DL-Trunk / Hatch Release
  • PK-Immobilizer Bypass-Data No Key Req'd
  • RS-RAP Shut Down (Retained ACC Power)
  • RS-Tach / RPM Output
  • SS-CAN Alarm control w/ FOB remote
  • SS-Entry Monitoring Driver Door Pin
  • SS-Entry Monitoring Trunk/Hatch Pin
  • ST-Ignition Status

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
Yeah I saw the specs, but thought since it has roll up, it might have roll down as well. Seems like that's not the case.

So in order to have roll down as well, I'd need 1x 4-door window control module, right? Would that affect any of the BCM communication with the windows, since I'll have to splice in to the wire between the motor and the switch? :undecided:

Is the XK01 intermittent D2D connection still an issue? I've read a couple posts here and there that it's better to connect it W2W.

It's not that I can't do that, it's just that I'd like to have minimal splices in the factory harness.

Regards,
H4L

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Not certain that the 2005 Trailblazer/Envoy has Wiring Hook-Ups that are synonymous with the information shown at "12Volt" in this Link below ...but it might give some confirmation to what you are working on:

...and about having the HVAC (Mostly A/C) engaging when you RS The TB... this Quote is from TV:

"When you get out of the TB leave the AC on in the morning then when you remote start the AC will be on."

Last edited:

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
I do understand that the ignition switch and some other wiring here and there must be tampered with, I'm not worried about that currently. I've read many installation guides and a couple on the TB and kind of have a good idea of where everything goes.

I mainly started this thread to explore the connection needed for the features that I want, and to kind of get a recommendation on some bypass modules.

The question about XK01 in post #10 is about some posts mentioning that there is an intermittent problem when the XK01 is connected in data to data configuration, and recommending wire to wire connection instead. So I'm asking whether or not this is still an issue, as I'd like to connect it using data to data.

I'd also like to know if connecting the window control module has any effects on the communication between the windows and BCM, since the motor's wire has to be spliced into.

Regards,
H4L

Aaramill

Dec 19, 2014
The12volt.com is an awesome resource. Everything you need to know is there

They have a number guides for our trucks. Look at more than one..some of them came up with tome ways to make it so much easier.

Sneakycyber

Oct 30, 2017
Ohio
I used the DBALL 2. It connects to the OBD2 port and controlls the door locks, heated seats, defrost etc. For window up and down you may need an additional module. The Directed 535T can control the windows up and down. I had one on a Kia Optima SE with a Viper 5901.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online