Remote Start Options

pmsmith2032

Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
Chicago
I just passed down my 2005 Envoy to my daughter and we would like to install a remote start for her for Christmas. Are there any suggestions on what aftermarket unit to buy? I installed a remote start on my wife's Jeep Wrangler so am not opposed to doing the same with Envoy provided I have good instructions. Thanks!

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Looks like a good kit however, using the stock key fob would, IMHO, suck for range.

Dr.Fiero

Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
Looks like a good kit however, using the stock key fob would, IMHO, suck for range.

Guess it comes down to what you use it for.

Usually, I'm just sitting in the house, and want to warm it up for 5 minutes before heading out. And if the remote won't shoot a signal a hundred feet or so... I probably need a new battery!

I've never needed to start my car while my plane flies over top... :wink:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I did this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O2EGYDM/?tag=gmtnation-20

as well as this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00359DG5O/?tag=gmtnation-20

You also will need a relay for the acc2 wire otherwise you'll get a service 4wd light when you remote start.

That looks to be a nice setup. Couple of questions:
- How hard was it to install? (from an instructions / documentation / 'frustration' standpoint)

- The data bus module - does it successfully activate the bun warmers, mirrors, etc., at / below 32F / 0C, as described?

If it does - not a bad setup for under $100, all-in!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
That looks to be a nice setup. Couple of questions:
- How hard was it to install? (from an instructions / documentation / 'frustration' standpoint)

- The data bus module - does it successfully activate the bun warmers, mirrors, etc., at / below 32F / 0C, as described?

If it does - not a bad setup for under $100, all-in!
If you have digital hvac, yea it does. Can confirm with the envoy. But the block needs to be at 32 or below as that seems to be where it pulls it's temp from. Installation isn't horrible. Basically you need the obd data line and a brake trigger. Then you tap the ignition wires. Run the wire for the hood pin. (Hood up it won't start) then there's a few splices between the modules and that's it. Effective range is a few hundred feet. It'll penetrate through my house no problem. First was 6 hours in the spring. Second was 3 in the freezing cold at night. (Suprise Christmas present) somewhere is a diagram of what I wired I just don't know where I put it. Maybe the members remote start thread?

Reactions: Reprise

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
NP - if it's on this site, I'll find it, when the time comes for me to pursue in earnest. And, yeah - I've got the SLT, so I'll get the heater / seat / mirror goodies, too. :2thumbsup:
Appreciate the info! :tiphat:

pmsmith2032

Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
Chicago
Thanks! Can someone explain the "You also will need a relay for the acc2 wire otherwise you'll get a service 4wd light when you remote start." comment? What does this mean exactly and what part would I need to order?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Thanks! Can someone explain the "You also will need a relay for the acc2 wire otherwise you'll get a service 4wd light when you remote start." comment? What does this mean exactly and what part would I need to order?
In the simplest terms, there are two wires that get power under the key turns. The remote start can only power so many. One has the engine components. On the entertainment and the other the exterior stuff. Like wipers 4wd etc. If you don't hook up all three, which you can't, without wiring in a relay of sorts, some things won't work when the remote start is in control. On mine it is the windshield wipers.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
In the simplest terms, there are two wires that get power under the key turns. The remote start can only power so many. One has the engine components. On the entertainment and the other the exterior stuff. Like wipers 4wd etc. If you don't hook up all three, which you can't, without wiring in a relay of sorts, some things won't work when the remote start is in control. On mine it is the windshield wipers.

Like said above, most remote start systems only include one accessory option so a relay is needed to power the second accessory line on our trailblazers.

pmsmith2032

Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
Chicago
Thanks all. So if my daughter is just using the remote start to warm the truck up in the morning (not worried about wipers and seat heaters) I don't need the relay, correct? Provided that she is just warming the car up from inside the house (truck is in the driveway) the MPC kit Dr.Fiero recommended would be the easiest and best to install?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
They'll all be about the same. The mpc used to come with a harness so you didn't have to splice the ignition wires but it is nla. The mpc also comes with a relay for the acc2. You may get a check engine light without it that goes away after you start it with the key. The mpc may come with better instructions though.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
I have an Autostart brand and I recommend it. 4th vehicle with this brand, no issues.

Dr.Fiero

Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
One of the other things I liked about it, was that they supply the vehicle correct Passkey transponder bypass. No "hiding a spare key" or whatever. You go through a quick programming, and it plays the part of your vehicle seeing a valid key.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online