Reman steering gears made equal?

Mounce

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Just looking for some reassurance on a replacement steering box for the Silverado. I'd really like to just deal locally with advance for warranty purposes but at the same time rockauto is much cheaper (unless shipping kills it). I know I've heard that Redhead boxes are great but I've read some shady mixed reviews and really don't want to spend $100 more for one compared to all other reman companies.

So advance carries Cardone. That seams to be a dirty name in and of itself but how could they suck at steering boxes? Just bearings shafts seals and one adjustment. All remans should end equal right?

Anyone have firsthand experience with a Cardone box or similar?

Reactions: mrrsm

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I've used them for CV axles without issue if that's of any help.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Just looking for some reassurance on a replacement steering box for the Silverado. I'd really like to just deal locally with advance for warranty purposes but at the same time rockauto is much cheaper (unless shipping kills it). I know I've heard that Redhead boxes are great but I've read some shady mixed reviews and really don't want to spend $100 more for one compared to all other reman companies.

So advance carries Cardone. That seams to be a dirty name in and of itself but how could they suck at steering boxes? Just bearings shafts seals and one adjustment. All remans should end equal right?

Anyone have firsthand experience with a Cardone box or similar?
@brianlibby791 has a redhead box in his truck (actually two...) I haven't noticed a difference from stock... I've used cardone for brake boosters with success. They're alright but it's a crapshoot with anything reman from them. Some are good and some not so much. They generally stand behind it though.

Mounce

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I figure I'll just go with the local Cardone, was just hoping for some first hand experience. I'm familiar with the advance bigwigs here and know they'll stand behind it and swap it out for me if I say anything bad about it which is the main reason for leaning that way. Worst case scenario I'll go through three and be a pro by the end of it haha.

Thanks for the input fellas!

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I figure I'll just go with the local Cardone, was just hoping for some first hand experience. I'm familiar with the advance bigwigs here and know they'll stand behind it and swap it out for me if I say anything bad about it which is the main reason for leaning that way. Worst case scenario I'll go through three and be a pro by the end of it haha.

Thanks for the input fellas!
It's like an hour job... not too bad.

Reactions: Redbeard and Mounce

Mounce

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Secondary question...

Of course there are two options for boxes. One is the 3 spline (3-bolt control side) and the other is 4 spline (4-bolt) best I understand.

From what I can tell the 4 spline/bolt is the lux/sport package that came on the ss trucks... (rpo's B4U and Y91) Is this an upgrade to the lesser box that my truck calls for? Is it a straight swap after including a new matching pitman arm?

Google hasn't shown me much info.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You've probably done a Thousand of these R&Rs similar to this ... but jik ... This Guy's Video (or perhaps the Youtuber Comments and his Follow Up Replies) may have some more useful information... and for any other GMT800 Owners following your Thread who may need to know what is involved... Here Goes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mounce

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Secondary question...

Of course there are two options for boxes. One is the 3 spline (3-bolt control side) and the other is 4 spline (4-bolt) best I understand.

From what I can tell the 4 spline/bolt is the lux/sport package that came on the ss trucks... (rpo's B4U and Y91) Is this an upgrade to the lesser box that my truck calls for? Is it a straight swap after including a new matching pitman arm?

Google hasn't shown me much info.
3 spline on 2500 and up. 4 spline on 1500 and SUVs iirc. If you pop the nut off the idler you can see which is which. The three spline idler is harder to round out. Unless you're at the limit, theres no real difference going to one over the other. :2thumbsup:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I'm pretty sure they're all the same. I think the escalade ones and ss ones are different in ratio and valving but not noticeably. The escalade and sierra have about the same steering feel.

Reactions: Mounce

Mounce

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Purchase has been made, also got some upper control arms, lower ball joints, and a steering shaft bearing. Figured I'd go ahead and take care of the others before I get an alignment so it's all new and straight, one and done. Probably be a week or two till I can work on it. Also gonna warranty the inner tie rods from a year ago, at the second greasing they weren't taking grease. Even put new zerks in.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.