Relays for headlights

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
I've been looking at various lighting options and plan on completely replacing the stock headlights and housings. I've read about the misc DRL killer and quad beams, etc... but maybe it's just late and I'm distracted but I would like to end up with 3 relays for DRL, Low, and High. Is there a good wiring combination that will work without other parts of the truck complaining? If not, I can do without the DRL which would be easy to wire. I just don't know if there is a way to split the DRL signal out.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
I am unsure what you are getting at. Do you mean to have one relay for the DRL killer feature and have quad beams so the low and highs are on at the same time? If so, the DRL killer mod where you use a relay and wire it at the BCM under your rear seat like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNo9RxyUXdw&list=PL22DE5B1770EA0C40&index=1

I did may03's mod on my truck and love it! I don't get the low beams on at all when I unlock my truck or when the auto lights kick on. The only lights that kick on in my truck are my CCFL Halo's and the parking lights which the CCFL is tied into on both sides.

As far as the Low and high beam relay, do you mean to run a relay for your hid's instead of hooking them up to the cheap/crappy OEM wire in the headlight assembly and risk burning it up from an overload? If so, You can do those relays under your hood and its super easy, just hook one wire per beam output to the relay (low beam + and high beam + for example) and hook the relay to battery power and ground and be on your way. I myself recommend running a dual relay setup so you have redundancy like the OEM setup comes with. With the OEM wiring, you have 2 fuses for each light on each side which is super handy. I made it so if a relay blows, I can either limp home on one light working or pull over safely and go in my toolbox and whip out a relay I keep on hand and go on my way like it's nobody's business. There are relay kits you can buy online but they can sometimes be absolute trash with thin wire like our OEM wire is. Honestly, if you have super basic electrical knowledge and are good with a solder iron, you will do perfect to build your own relay kit. It should only take you maybe 30 mins to do all 4 relays if you go that route like I did.

And finally, what about going bi-xenon instead of independent low and high beam projectors? It's super easy for the high beam and I personally love the output from them and you don't need to wait for the bulb to warm up in bi-xenon ones like you do independent projectors. I would only run a dedicated projector for low and high if my low was the HID and the high was halogen so I have no wait for the warmup time. It's really up to you. I honestly never use my hi beams of the bi-xenon projectors. The lows are plenty bright enough and shine far enough to keep the road lit up like it's noon. lol.

Reactions: Sib

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
My plan is still to go with the JW speaker LED headlights. Something like this.
tbconceptgrille2.jpg

I wanted to be able to basically get a signal wire for DRL, low and high to control the relays. I know it's pretty easy with the high and lows but I wasn't sure if the DRL could be isolated or if it's just an underpowered low signal. With the DRL kill involving a relay I can do what I need to do. I have some ideas for the DRL function.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Easy. I did something kind of like that. Disable the factory PWM DRL and just grab ignition 12V from elsewhere. Run it through a NC relay, and tie the relay coil to the parking light circuit. When you hit the parking lights or headlights it will open the relay, turning off your custom DRL.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online