Reinstalling Bose Factory Radio 04 Trailblazer

Mattwurst79

Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Germany
Hey guys what's going?

I have a sony aftermarket head unit in my 04 Traily which I don't like so I purchased a factory
Bose headunit (have the UQA RPO code).
So I installed it, hooked it up and chime comes, so far so good....
Radio is of course locked.
Using my china tech2 I tried to clear the theft deterrent thingy but it would always throw a "lost connection to the unit." On me. Thought the unit might be bad but
It would do that also during the OnStar and amplifier pings.
Access to the Amp and inspected all visible wiring, checked all related fuses. All good.
No Onstar module installed. Doesn't even have the cables under the right pass seat so suspect no rpo for that but still says "onstar not responding". I even get a dtc in that. Pulled onstar fuse no help.
I fear the china tech2 is the problem here?

Thanks for the help guys
Apprrciated!
Chris

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well lets verify the radio works FULLY..

Unplug the radio, turn key onto accessory, not ON.

Plug radio in.

If radio is designed to work with that truck, you will be able to turn it on, change radio stations, play a CD, etc.

Cant help with the On-Star... Mine doesnt work, and in a couple months, all the 2002-04, and maybe more, wont work.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's normal for the Tech 2 to say no comms from X module if it isn't there. Sometimes it doesn't know which modules are supposed to be installed or not. Your export TB probably never had Onstar but the Tech 2 looks for it anyway. You can ignore that one.

Reactions: TJBaker57

Mattwurst79

Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Germany
Yes, true. Onstar would not make sense for export traily.
Regarding the question with the acc position: No, it won't run on hot Battery. When I switch keys to run it will turn on saying locked.
Also in this position it won't turn off, it is always on.
The clock is showing and all pushbuttons are lighted.
So, does the radio have to respond to the push on the power button in acc mode even though locked?

Last edited:

Mattwurst79

Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Germany
It's normal for the Tech 2 to say no comms from X module if it isn't there. Sometimes it doesn't know which modules are supposed to be installed or not. Your export TB probably never had Onstar but the Tech 2 looks for it anyway. You can ignore that one.
Seems so, thank you! I learned that.
Does anyone know if the radio can be switched ON/OFF in locked mode?
Mine doesn´t react even to the PWR button. Think that´s normal!?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The On-Star in my 04 works, for another couple months.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No, it doesn't sound right. From what I remember, with the key at ACC power, the radio will work but as soon as the key is turned to RUN, it locks. And the fact you can't communicate with it tells me it has an issue. You should be able to scan the radio for errors and ping it. If not able to do either, I would suspect the radio.

However, you should eliminate the possibility that another module is interfering with communications. To do that, you would need to pull the comb out of the main bus splice pack, pictured on the left under dash, and put a jumper between the DLC purple wire and the radio orange wire. This way only the radio is connected to the network and the DLC. Try to communicate with the radio with the Tech 2. All other modules should show as not responding.

img_20180924_153706-jpg.55161

The radio should be able to respond and be reprogrammed. If not, I would condemn it.

Reactions: Reprise

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
From what I remember, with the key at ACC power, the radio will work but as soon as the key is turned to RUN, it locks.

A little 'behind the scenes' info I will add here, of the sort that can be seen by learning the serial data message structure. I grant you this is useless information but here it is.

When the key is at ACC not all systems are up and running. The BCM announces the desired state of operations and so forth.

Only when the key has been turned to RUN does the BCM announce another change in desired systems running state and among a lot of other traffic the BCM announce the full VIN number of the vehicle. I've seen mine repeat the VIN number a few seconds later as well.

So I suppose the radio grabs that broadcasted VIN and compares it with the partial VIN stored in the radio. I say partial because I have seen my own VIN in the radio memory and at least what I have seen in mine is just the final 6 digits.

Mattwurst79

Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Germany
A little 'behind the scenes' info I will add here, of the sort that can be seen by learning the serial data message structure. I grant you this is useless information but here it is.

When the key is at ACC not all systems are up and running. The BCM announces the desired state of operations and so forth.

Only when the key has been turned to RUN does the BCM announce another change in desired systems running state and among a lot of other traffic the BCM announce the full VIN number of the vehicle. I've seen mine repeat the VIN number a few seconds later as well.

So I suppose the radio grabs that broadcasted VIN and compares it with the partial VIN stored in the radio. I say partial because I have seen my own VIN in the radio memory and at least what I have seen in mine is just the final 6 digits.
That Supports the observation that when in ACC The Radio turns on and runs fine. Can listen to music everything works until you go in RUN

Reactions: TJBaker57

Mattwurst79

Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Germany
IMG_20211209_204116085.jpgIMG_20211209_204054701.jpg
@Mooseman
Can you maybe help me which connector you mean? Lower picture is just underneath the steering column, upper pic on the lower panel over the pedals with the obd port

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Screenshot_20211209-125009.png

This is the splice pack. It contains one data wire for each of the modules in the truck. This is the point that ties them all together. Inside is a metal item that looks like a comb. That metal piece connects everybody together.

Last edited:

Mattwurst79

Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Germany
Ok did that. Removed comb, jumpered orange and purple wire and same shit. Lost communication to unit make sure Ign on off or something like that.
When I do the five and forward key method it will work without chime but only til next power cycle.:worried:😢😢

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't know about programming the eeprom but have heard that those that rip it out, it will work however, each time the radio is shut down, you lose all memory settings, including saved stations and time.

Another thing to check is if there is continuity from the purple wire at the splice pack to the radio.

So when you ping all modules with the Tech 2, it doesn't respond at all?

Mattwurst79

Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Germany
It depends. Most of the time it gives me the no comm to unit check ign on off message. Every once in a while it will let me in but never manipulate values. Although i managed to read and clear dtc codes. This is all true to all the modules.
The purple wire is gnd or pwr? Or just databus?
Watched the video i dont really like removing the eeprom.
Think I also will loose the chime in this case

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
No chime?

That usually means the radio is the wrong one. Lux where non-Lux, or Vice-Versa.

Were you able to get music to play?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So I installed it, hooked it up and chime comes, so far so good....
He got chimes so that's not it.

How are you trying to "manipulate" the data? Have you tried re-initializing the radio using the Tech 2 and Tis2000 on a laptop? You can't do it with the Tech 2 alone as it needs security access. I did it once before and that's how it's done.

That purple wire is the data bus.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I wonder... Are your guys newer radios different than my 02 somehow? I have done the theft relearn thing several times with mine and it only used the Tech 2 alone. I was only doing it so I could snoop on the data bus to see what it was doing.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Consumers with vehicles built before 2006 must either upgrade their vehicles to a digital signal or discontinue their use of the OnStar service. Vehicles built before then were made to work with the analog network. Cellular companies were no longer obligated to provide analog signals nationwide after Feb. 19, 2008.
Some of those older vehicles can be upgraded to digital and some cannot.
I imagine a very small number of people paid to get their system upgraded.......

Mattwurst79

Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Germany
No chime?

That usually means the radio is the wrong one. Lux where non-Lux, or Vice-Versa.

Were you able to get music to play?
The chime comes only in locked status. The chime does not come on when I hit the 5 and FWD-seek key during startup. But then I can hear music, yes. Switching back off to on will reinstate the chime and take away the music and button response saying locked

Mattwurst79

Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Germany
He got chimes so that's not it.

How are you trying to "manipulate" the data? Have you tried re-initializing the radio using the Tech 2 and Tis2000 on a laptop? You can't do it with the Tech 2 alone as it needs security access. I did it once before and that's how it's done.

That purple wire is the data bus.
no i use Tech2 standalone with candi.
thought for tis200 need subscription!?

Mattwurst79

Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Germany
I wonder... Are your guys newer radios different than my 02 somehow? I have done the theft relearn thing several times with mine and it only used the Tech 2 alone. I was only doing it so I could snoop on the data bus to see what it was doing.
mine is DOM 2001

Mattwurst79

Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Germany
Consumers with vehicles built before 2006 must either upgrade their vehicles to a digital signal or discontinue their use of the OnStar service. Vehicles built before then were made to work with the analog network. Cellular companies were no longer obligated to provide analog signals nationwide after Feb. 19, 2008.
Some of those older vehicles can be upgraded to digital and some cannot.
I imagine a very small number of people paid to get their system upgraded.......
found out my european truck does neither have digital receiver nor onstar module.
Which makes sense otherwise calling the U.S. from all over the world 🙃

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Where did you obtain your radio from? Europe or US? If from the US, it may need to be completely reprogrammed using Tis2000 and the Tech 2 as a passthrough. If I'm not mistaken, Europe has even numbered decimal frequencies (i.e 106.8) while North America uses odd decimals (i.e. 106.9).

However, if your radio is a 2001, I'm pretty sure it's not compatible with your 04 TB. @TollKeeper can confirm but there was a change at some year where they went from analog to digital sound signal and Bose amps. That could be the reason the comms are failing because it's the wrong radio.

Mattwurst79

Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Germany
Where did you obtain your radio from? Europe or US? If from the US, it may need to be completely reprogrammed using Tis2000 and the Tech 2 as a passthrough. If I'm not mistaken, Europe has even numbered decimal frequencies (i.e 106.8) while North America uses odd decimals (i.e. 106.9).

However, if your radio is a 2001, I'm pretty sure it's not compatible with your 04 TB. @TollKeeper can confirm but there was a change at some year where they went from analog to digital sound signal and Bose amps. That could be the reason the comms are failing because it's the wrong radio.

I bought it from a European owner of a 2004 Traily same as mine is.
Yes, both cars are the European Version.
The previous owner wanted a display head unit, the original radio worked fine but was not what he wanted.
I can post the radio part# here when I will be back home in about an hour if that helps.

We have both even and odd FM-frequencies in europe.

As far as I learned there are bose radios with integrated digital receivers and a version with external digital receiver.
My Tech2 in standalone always says: no comm to the digital receiver or digital receiver not responding s.th. like that...maybe because it just isn´t there? Or where would it live if installed? Guess behind glove box but there is no such.

I just had the idea to fake the year selecting 2001 during the set-up might be worth trying though limited expectations...

I just wonder why it works for one cycle when using the 5-key/fwd-scan method?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So it seems to work as expected until the ignition is turned on and locks, which tells me the comms are working as it detects the VIN from the BCM when it's active.

I wonder what would happen if the purple wire was permanently disconnected? Would it act like as if it can't get the VIN from the BCM? Are you able to remove the purple wire from the splice pack or the radio's connector?

Tis2000 or GlobalTis should have been included with your clone Tech 2. It normally runs in Windows XP but we have tutorials for installing it in different environments. You might have to source a copy of GlobalTis, which is the version to use with export vehicles. Tis2000 is for North American vehicles.

Running TIS 2000 on Windows 7/8/8.1/10

Computer and Tis2000 setup for Tech2

How To Install TIS2000 on an RCA Cambio Tablet with Windows 10

I'm still concerned about the lack of comms with the radio. I still don't think it's a problem with the Tech 2 as it seems to communicate fine with other modules. If you can get Tis2000/GlobalTis running and try to do a full reprogramming of the radio, it might work.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
far as I learned there are bose radios with integrated digital receivers and a version with external digital receiver.

My 2002 has the analog Bose 6 disc. I also have a 2005 or 6 unit with the digital receiver built in that I bought at a yard just for experimentation. For my 2002 when I run the "radio theft" thing the Tech 2 just reads a data block from the radio, a data block from Onstar, then writes a data block in the radio (one single byte). I speculate that the Tech 2 merely 'primes' the radio to learn the new vehicles VIN at the next key cycle??

I may run the theft routine on the 05/06 unit to see what it does with a digital receiver...

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

If he is getting radio signals to come thru, he should be fine. 2004 was the split year. But he already verified function.

Mattwurst79

Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Germany
So it seems to work as expected until the ignition is turned on and locks, which tells me the comms are working as it detects the VIN from the BCM when it's active.
Yes, absolutely correct.
I wonder what would happen if the purple wire was permanently disconnected? Would it act like as if it can't get the VIN from the BCM? Are you able to remove the purple wire from the splice pack or the radio's connector?
I can try. Yesterday I removed the comb and jumpered orange and purple as you said and the way I understand it is that now only the radio is in comm network.

When I remove the purple wire I would end up with no comm not even to the radio.

I will measure continuity through purple but where is the other end?
On each unit? Yeah think so, as it is a bus.

get Tis2000/GlobalTis running and try to do a full reprogramming of the radio, it might work.
Have an old xp Laptop somewhere...will try

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Yes i get signals but only after the 5-key initialization.

I put the data plate here:

View attachment 102413
So thats a EARLY production model. Its designed for the 2002-2004.5 only!

Can you post a pic of your door jam sticker. It should have your trucks build date. Or your VIN, I can pull the build date off that.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
So thats a EARLY production model. Its designed for the 2002-2004.5 only!

Agreed! That number lists as compatible with my 10/2001 built Trailblazer with radio part #15058231. There is no DRR in there so if the Tech2 is trying to access a DRR it of course will fail. I can't remember if you tried accessing the radio and doing a Body/Radio/special functions/theft routine using a prior year like 2002 or 2003?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Good idea.. Go one year lower, 2003, see if it works. Hell you could even try 2002. You might be able to try 2005, as all the special functions still work relatively the same.

Mattwurst79

Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Germany
Agreed! That number lists as compatible with my 10/2001 built Trailblazer with radio part #15058231. There is no DRR in there so if the Tech2 is trying to access a DRR it of course will fail. I can't remember if you tried accessing the radio and doing a Body/Radio/special functions/theft routine using a prior year like 2002 or 2003?
Tried 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004.
2002 i will have good talks to the radio but when i try to run setup it will ask if i have the option Code UL2 which I have and when selecting YES it will say Vehicle not supported.
Now the selection won't come anymore so I can't try the NO-selection

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Let the Tech2 timeout. Let it sit for 6 hours, let the capacitors discharge. Although the Tech2 is supposed to not retain knowledge learned.. Then try again.

I have a second idea.. I used this when I was programming a radio to my Pontiac. Use a 2001 Pontiac Aztek.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online