Reduced engine power light outta nowhere

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
i hope this is the right place to post this. I love my trailblazer, and its breaking my f***ing heart. I recently had the driver side steering knuckle, lower control arm, and tie rod replaced and aligment fixed. I was excited cause now i could get it inspected. Problems arise from here. Got the oil changed, and failed the inspection. Top brake light works, but not back side brake lamps. Got home, pulled the fuse and its good. Went to start my 03 trailblazer ls 4.6 il 4x4 and now got a reduced engine power light and wont start. Wtf happened to my girl? It was running perfect till after i got back home. Any responses will be greatly appreciated. Had a mobile mechanic come by, and he "thinks" its the fuel pump. But was not positive.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It's a fine place. Welcome! Glad you discovered us.

How many miles?

Ever removed the throttle body to clean behind it?

The mobile mechanic (if they were competent) should have checked for codes. I think he's a diagnosGUESSER not a diagnostician. The REP lamp ALWAYS sets additional codes that can lead you to one of the three typical causes - the Accel pedal sensor assembly, the throttle body position sensors, or the electro-viscous fan clutch. Or the wiring tying all them together. It's never the fuel pump by itself that sets off the REP lamp. Can you buy a code reader and check them for more clues?

Which fuse did you check for the brake lights? Rear #34 is the one. It could be two blown lamps, or two bad circuit boards (where the lamps plug into) or a corroded connector harness where the vehicle plugs into the PC boards. Aftermarket lower cost units are available at any parts store. Do you have a meter and some electrical troubleshooting experience?

2010-02-27_203150_wiring1.gif

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
He had a computer but did not tell me the codes. I replaced the bulbs and i believe it has fixed the issue. Will double check when it gets dark. Its has a little over 158000 miles. Never messed with throttle body. No tester, and no electrical experience.

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Ok. It will start now. But idling very slow. Can not press knob in on shifter. Step on gas, and you can hear it rev but rpm goes up extremely slowly. Im sorry but i dont have money for the computer.

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Whoy said:
Ok. It will start now. But idling very slow. Can not press knob in on shifter. Step on gas, and you can hear it rev but rpm goes up extremely slowly. Im sorry but i dont have money for the computer.
If i can get it to drive i will go to autozone

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If you can't get it out of park, that's going to be hard. Is there a voltmeter at the very least in your house or a buddy's? Might get stuck at the parts store and then you'd need a tow, but you know that.

Throttle body is a big suspect in my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdvgsaDmkac

Reactions: KNBlazer

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
Whoy said:
A good scanner cost about $150.... A code reader is probably about $60 or so.... In the instrument cluster, are there still any lights on? You should first take care of the basics, which include cleaning the throttle body as Roadie suggested.... It's as much work as changing that rear lamp... there are videos on youtube you can use as a step by step guide...

Reactions: Whoy

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
Whoy said:
Tap the brake pedal a few times, you should hear a clicking sound, then hold it down and try the shifter...

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Whoy said:
If you can't get it out of park, that's going to be hard. Is there a voltmeter at the very least in your house or a buddy's? Might get stuck at the parts store and then you'd need a tow, but you know that.

Throttle body is a big suspect in my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdvgsaDmkac
no voltmeter. probably use one from work. kinda funny that i work for a metrology lab but dont have any of those pieces. would cleaning the throttle body possibly fox the issue or is it just to help clear things up.

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
It could if gummed up bad enough.... only way to know is doing it...it takes less than 10 minutes of work and another 20 or so of waiting for the Computer (PCM) to reset...

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
my question: was the battery disconnected? if not then the throttle body probably would not cause a problem instantly like that. if it was disconnected then I would def agree that is the problem, i had the same thing happen to me.

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
was pretty bad. caked on black crap. bud not real think. started it up. looks like the engine is rocking when idling. still can not push in the knob. is it possible to post video?

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
my question: was the battery disconnected? if not then the throttle body probably would not cause a problem instantly like that. if it was disconnected then I would def agree that is the problem, i had the same thing happen to me.

i apologize, but im confused. ive only took off the post off yhe battery. read somewhere that it will reset the computer. probably dumb idea on my part

the rpm needle rises slower than the engine sounds when i step on the gas if that makes sense.
A good scanner cost about $150.... A code reader is probably about $60 or so.... In the instrument cluster, are there still any lights on? You should first take care of the basics, which include cleaning the throttle body as Roadie suggested.... It's as much work as changing that rear lamp... there are videos on youtube you can use as a step by step guide...

it sounds as though its trying to be an old school muscle car. i have the service engine soon, and reduced engine power on still.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Unable to shift.... can you confirm when you push the brake the brake lights do indeed still come on? It could be a bad switch on the brake pedal. If not, it may be a bad solenoid in the shifter.

And is the SES light just on, or is it flashing?

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
IllogicTC said:
Unable to shift.... can you confirm when you push the brake the brake lights do indeed still come on? It could be a bad switch on the brake pedal. If not, it may be a bad solenoid in the shifter.

And is the SES light just on, or is it flashing?
all 3 brake lights now work,. i switched out the bulbs. the ses light is solid, does not flash. but i do not understand how a bad solenoid would cause all these problems.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Whoy said:
i apologize, but im confused. ive only took off the post off yhe battery. read somewhere that it will reset the computer. probably dumb idea on my part
that's fine, but now that you have cleaned the throttle body you should disconnect it again. turn off all the a/c switches, while it is disconnected turn the key on in the car then turn it back off to make sure the system is drained. reconnect the battery, then turn the key on but don't start it for 2 min. now start it and let it run at idle for 10 min do not touch the gas. or turn anything on or put it in gear. it will program the idle. hope this helps

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
BlazingTrails said:
that's fine, but now that you have cleaned the throttle body you should disconnect it again. turn off all the a/c switches, while it is disconnected turn the key on in the car then turn it back off to make sure the system is drained. reconnect the battery, then turn the key on but don't start it for 2 min. now start it and let it run at idle for 10 min do not touch the gas. or turn anything on or put it in gear. it will program the idle. hope this helps
ok, well i got a carmd piece from guy at work. the only code popping up is P1512. but there is no code in the book for it. any ideas?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
No P1512 in WHAT book? I see hits for it all over Google. Anyway, that's usually a binding throttle body or one that can't move to the commanded position. Consistent with a gummed-up and sticky throat. Is it a historic old code or a current one?

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Whoy said:
ok, well i got a carmd piece from guy at work. the only code popping up is P1512. but there is no code in the book for it. any ideas?
i tried what you said, no change. thanks for the suggestion.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
I can't seem to get a direct answer for the p1512 code. but it seems to have something to do with the Electronic throttle system. check the connector on the side of the throttle body. reset the code and try again.

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
The_Roadie said:
No P1512 in WHAT book? I see hits for it all over Google. Anyway, that's usually a binding throttle body or one that can't move to the commanded position. Consistent with a gummed-up and sticky throat. Is it a historic old code or a current one?
its the owners manual. it goes from P0010 to P0849. nothing that starts with P1xxx

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
BlazingTrails said:
The GM Repair manual t/s for both codes tells you to check the TC fuse. for P1512 and P1516

-Brandon
whats the tc fuse? is located under back seat or under hood? im trusting google and you guys. fellow tblazer guys.

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
what fuse though. figure six in that picture just shows picture of the engine.

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
no owners manual. #23 is labeled as tac (10a). nothing labeled as etc.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Whoy said:
no owners manual. #23 is labeled as tac (10a). nothing labeled as etc.
He misquoted the name but that's the one you want. TAC = Throttle Actuator Control, I do believe.

Whoy

Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
replaced #23. two codes P1512, and now 0340. wtf is going on? now there is something wrong with the camshaft

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online