Recommended Tires for 18" wheels & Towing bigger RV trailer

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Lots of tires for sale out there but for the stock size of 245-60-18 and they all seem to be load range 104 or 105. Looking at the tire capacities 2039lb each for 105s vs vehicle GVWR 6000 I think there should be enough capacity with the 105 load range. I could go with 255-55-18s and get a load range 109 but not sure I like the idea of less side wall for towing. Thoughts?

For reference, I am shopping for a trailer that I hope fully loaded not to exceed 5000, possibly one like this: http://www.rvguide.com/specs/skyline/travel-trailer/2009/nomad-joey/246.html but I am still shopping. If I can find something lighter I like I would certainly go that way, not heavier.

Past towing duties on other rigs have been served with LT tires only for me and it appears that isn't an option for this rig in stock sizes looking at tirerack.com. So, looking for recommendations from those that tow bigger RV trailers with their GMT360 on 18s - what brand/model of tires you really liked or suggest I avoid for the tow vehicle? I don't mind spending coin on decent tires, but want good value is all. I plan to further explore the tirerack ratings as well.

Thanks.

07Denali

Feb 28, 2013
I am also looking at new tires for the Envoy Denali on 18" rims and towing a new 2015 Lance 1995 travel trailer loaded weight of 4900LBS. So far looks like michelins LTX like what it currently has on it.

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
A local to me shop that is a big volume seller recommened the Michelin Latitude Tour and Nokian Entyre. Investigating....

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Why does the tire load rating matter for the total trailer weight? It should be just tongue weight that matters since that's all the tires/suspension will actually see pushing down on them. Most of the trailer weight will be on the trailer's tires.

I would think any tire that fits our platform should be fine within the limits of the vehicle towing capacity.

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
You are exactly correct, Sparky. My point was - if I add 400+lbs of tongue weight plus some cargo to the TV is there a need to be worried about tire capactiy? Some things I've read suggest tire capacity should be derated by ~10% for P (passenger) tires. This combined with the 18s having a low profile and not being available in LT format led me to ask the question. On paper it seems to work, just looking for real world experience from the community.

So far I keep coming back to the Latitude Tours. I am hesitant to spend $1100 on tires however... still investigating.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
You should be fine with what you have then. Hitch weight is only 450 pounds. I've hauled a lot more than that in just the cargo area. Granted I have 16s but they were stock size at the time, load index was 106 on them. Only slightly higher than what you have.

Even so, load index of 104, then take off 10%, and then multiply by 2 (for the two tires) you're still at a little over 3500 pounds total load capacity on the rear axle. The vehicle weight is not 50/50 front/rear (there is more on the front due to powertrain etc) but even if we took half the vehicle weight, and assumed a bit on the heavy side at 4600 pounds, that is 2300 pounds vehicle weight on the rear axle at the very worst. That still leaves you with 1200 pounds to play with.

At a 5000 pound trailer weight I would suggest a weight distribution hitch anyway.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
That is what I am also finding with the numbers. I guess I am over thinking it, I jsut naturally presumed "get the XL" or whatever heavier duty version of a tire there was - but there isn't any in this size. It is either a 104 or a 105 load rating which is a small difference.

Absolutely will use new WD hitch with sway control. I think everyone should when towing >50% capacity, maybe even less.

Dec 4, 2011
Bow_Tied said:
Lots of tires for sale out there but for the stock size of 245-60-18 and they all seem to be load range 104 or 105. Looking at the tire capacities 2039lb each for 105s vs vehicle GVWR 6000 I think there should be enough capacity with the 105 load range. I could go with 255-55-18s and get a load range 109 but not sure I like the idea of less side wall for towing. Thoughts?

For reference, I am shopping for a trailer that I hope fully loaded not to exceed 5000, possibly one like this: http://www.rvguide.com/specs/skyline/travel-trailer/2009/nomad-joey/246.html but I am still shopping. If I can find something lighter I like I would certainly go that way, not heavier.

Past towing duties on other rigs have been served with LT tires only for me and it appears that isn't an option for this rig in stock sizes looking at tirerack.com. So, looking for recommendations from those that tow bigger RV trailers with their GMT360 on 18s - what brand/model of tires you really liked or suggest I avoid for the tow vehicle? I don't mind spending coin on decent tires, but want good value is all. I plan to further explore the tirerack ratings as well.

Thanks.
I tow with exactly this setup that you are contemplating. Never had a worry about the slightly shorter sidewall with a 4500 lb trailer behind. I went with Cooper Discover CTS tires and still love them.

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
You tow a Nomad Joey 246 or just a trailer in that weight category? If the trailer, how do you like it? How does it tow?

Thanks for the feedback, I will check out the Coopers.

Dec 4, 2011
Bow_Tied said:
You tow a Nomad Joey 246 or just a trailer in that weight category? If the trailer, how do you like it? How does it tow?

Thanks for the feedback, I will check out the Coopers.
I'm sorry i wasn't very clear about what i tow. We have a 4500 lb boat and trailer that may get closer to 5000 lb with fuel and gear. The trailer is set up with hydraulic surge disk brakes and works very well. Never had any issues with the truck or tires pulling this rig.

Reactions: Bow_Tied

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Thanks for the reply. Is your rig stock?

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I run Toyo Proxes ST II, 109V, 255-55-18, 35 psi all around. I don't tow the weight you will so I can't really comment on how a smaller sidewall performs. But I do wonder if a smaller sidewall will provide less tire rollover and a better towing experience?

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Thanks Northcreek. I have seen several recommendations on the net for this tire now too.

It seems there are lots to chose from. It seems that some are 104 load range, some 105. Because I need to narrow it down I have decided to go with something in the 105 load range.

Therefore I am leaning toward the Continental Cross contact, the Cooper CTS. Still kicking tires for local quotes though.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
One thing for sure, when you ask for tire suggestions you are getting a boat load... :yes: ...Mike.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online