Recommended OBD2 Palm TX/Windows software?

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
Folks

My 2003 Trailblazer is the first vehicle I've owned with an OBD2 interface. (My last three vehicles all went to the wreckers and I got my money's worth out of them. :smile: ) I recently purchased a Bluetooth OBD2 reader device and it appears to be working as my Palm can see it.

I've been hearing good things about the Android Torque app but I don't, yet, have an Android device with Bluetooth. In the meantime I will always have my Windows laptop with Bluetooth with me on any trips. Any suggestions for decent Windows apps?

I don't mind paying a reasonable amount but not sure I want to spend $100 or more when I may very well be purchasing an Android device in a few months.

There is a Palm program available but it doesn't support Bluetooth or my Palm TX. <sigh>

Thanks, Tony

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I've got Torque for my phone, and a more expensive software package for the Windows Tablet I carry that will also do tuning, so I haven't explored the universe of other ones out there. I'm sure you'll get some replies from experienced users.

Here's a link I found:
Complete ELM327 OBD-II Software Guide | Interfuse Corp.

Seems they recommend EasyObdII | OBD-II | OBD 2 Software for ScanTool.net USB and Serial Interfaces

I also recall browsing here when I was looking to buy something: OBD-2 Vehicle Explorer Scan Tool Browser

Another one: OBD2Spy

Pile of stuff here: ScanTool.net LLC - Scan Tools, PC, iPhone, & Android based OBD-II (OBD2) Interfaces, OBD diagnostic software

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
Me007gold said:
This isnt a palm program, but I love my Scangauge II
After having seen another poster with a photo with a flex arm mount with an amateur radio head and the Scangauge head I decided to take a closer look at this device. Looks real nice. I'm more and more considering this device. Thanks for the suggestion.

Actually I'm just about positive I'm going to buy this. Especially as you can move it from vehicle to vehicle for the future.

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
Me007gold said:
This isnt a palm program, but I love my Scangauge II
A friend loaned me his Scangauge II for a few day. While I quite liked it I wouldn't now pay $160 for it. Ten years ago I certainly would have. These days I'd only pay $40 or $50 or so. But that's just my opinion.

May 22, 2012
I bought one of those ELM327 ODBII bluetooth things off of ebay. It came with a CD with several programs to read the the computer in the car. Some Free, some free trials with limited features. They all worked well. I just use the $6 torque app. it is easier to get the tablet to the car instead of the laptop.

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
Team Dougherty said:
I bought one of those ELM327 ODBII bluetooth things off of ebay. It came with a CD with several programs to read the the computer in the car. Some Free, some free trials with limited features. They all worked well. I just use the $6 torque app. it is easier to get the tablet to the car instead of the laptop.
Trouble is I don't have an Android device with Bluetooth. I've been looking around for such but they're all about $200 or better. If I could find such a device for $50 I'd leave it in the TB all the time. As I always travel with a Windows laptop, although not for day trips, that works for me.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Any recommendations on wired OBD2 adapter that I can plug into a laptop via USB rather than a Bluetooth one?

I've been considering an Equus Innova 3160 OB2 reader, but I just got a little 12" laptop that might work in lieu of that, assuming I get good software and some type of OBD2 adapter for it.

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
strat81 said:
Any recommendations on wired OBD2 adapter that I can plug into a laptop via USB rather than a Bluetooth one?

I've been considering an Equus Innova 3160 OB2 reader, but I just got a little 12" laptop that might work in lieu of that, assuming I get good software and some type of OBD2 adapter for it.
FWIW my Bluetooth adapter on the laptop is pretty darned small. As in semi circle not much larger than the USB end. Available on eBay for under $2 including shipping. If you key in usb bluetooth adapter, click on Buy it now, and scroll down a ways you'll see I mean. For that price I purchased two with one as a spare. I use it for other devices too such as synching with my Palm TX and a travel mouse. Never had a problem with it.

Now how someone in the USA can sell one for $106.45 plus $30.55 shipping to Canada is beyond me. Likely some automated price adjustment software.

May 22, 2012
TonyT said:
Trouble is I don't have an Android device with Bluetooth. I've been looking around for such but they're all about $200 or better. If I could find such a device for $50 I'd leave it in the TB all the time. As I always travel with a Windows laptop, although not for day trips, that works for me.

The programs that came with it were all for windows PCs

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
TonyT said:

you can just whatever android phone off of ebay. as long as it has wifi you can download apps

Heres an example of a phone with a defective camera that would be suitable
HTC Desire (Carrier-PTCI) Android Touchscreen w/5.0 MP Camera Needs Repair | eBay

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online