Recommended Leveling Kits?

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I'm having a hard time finding a "Good" leveling kit for my 02 TB 4x4.
Here are some Brands I was looking at.

Rough Country: Inside my Budget, avaiable for the 4x4, But after some google research I found that some of their kits parts are made of some kind of polyurathane, and I can't find anywhere on their sight that they are made in the US.

Smaxx: Made in the US, Kit made of steel, avaiable for the 4x4, But don't want to pay for both Front and Rear Kits and a little outside of my budget.

Truxx: Made in the US, Kit Made of Steel, In my Budget, But (Read on TrailVoy) that there is no 4x4 kit and no one had experience with them.

I don't want a lift kit cause my Mom won't let me, she more comfertable with me getting a leveling kit so I just want to make her happy.

Anyone have Leveling Kit Suggestions? Budget is 100-230. I'm not really worried about installiation price as I have a friend who works a Private DealerShip and they have their own mechaninc who is a Friend of my Friend.

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Cable810 said:
Budget is 100-230

Are you going to be able to Install it your self? What about an alignment after? Shocks? You need to at least double if not triple your budget before you can even think about touching the suspension.

UncleMoney

Dec 5, 2011
Hey if you want a great deal you're just in luck! I have markMC's old style suspension lift(brand new 2.5") and my old pair of Bilstein HD's for the rear as well as the factory coil springs if you need for the rear(if you have airbags and want to convert that is) let me know if you're interested!

UncleMoney

Dec 5, 2011
Ps you say you don't want a lift just a level, but the suspension kit mark sells both lifts and levels! Otherwise if you didn't want any lift you'd have to slap a spacer up front and leave the rear alone!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Contact Markmc. His original kit can lift or just level. Allows you to level now and add rest of lit later to lift if u get permission.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
SuspensionMAXX and Mark both sell front spacers only. Don't have to buy both front and back at once. Non-metallic materials are not a problem if properly engineered. Don't discount any vendor due to material choice unless your engineering training is better than their professional experience as a commercial lift vendor. I ran non-metallic spacers for a year. Thin, but durable.

But the cost of the spacer could be FREE and the install and required alignment could still exceed your budget.

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Mark also sells a 3/4" shim for the front. It only takes you about half way to level, but it looks much better than stock without drastically raising your height. A front-end alignment would still be wise, but this option lets you get closer to your goal and stay within your budget.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Shdwdrgn said:
Mark also sells a 3/4" shim for the front. It only takes you about half way to level, but it looks much better than stock without drastically raising your height. A front-end alignment would still be wise, but this option lets you get closer to your goal and stay within your budget.

I know he sells the full kit and front. I'm now assuming that the Front kit is to level it?

Me007gold said:
Are you going to be able to Install it your self? What about an alignment after? Shocks? You need to at least double if not triple your budget before you can even think about touching the suspension.

I'm not really worried about installiation price as I have a friend who works a Private DealerShip and they have their own mechaninc who is a Friend of my Friend..... My Friend said we'll take the TB to the Garage and he will help us install it. Hopefully.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Cable810 said:
I know he sells the full kit and front. I'm now assuming that the Front kit is to level it?

I'm not really worried about installiation price as I have a friend who works a Private DealerShip and they have their own mechaninc who is a Friend of my Friend..... My Friend said we'll take the TB to the Garage and he will help us install it. Hopefully.

You are Assuming Incorrectly. Why not contact him as I suggested and he can explain his products to you? The front is a two piece system and can be used seperately or in conjunction with each other.

You may not worry about install price, but you HAVE to budget for an alignment since you will be changing the suspension geometry, an alignment is REQUIRED if you want to not wear out you tires or other components. Will also keep the ride better and keep omtimum MPG.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
jbones said:
I went with Chevy Leveling Kit | Chevy | Suspension MAXX | Suspension MAXX for a few reasons.

1. Good reputation/product. I would not use em, definitely not on reputation. You may want to research some history...
  2. They're in my (our) home State of Michigan. (Felt good to help support a MI business in this crappy economy)Fair enough, but not applicable to many members. I know mark's stuff is US made, is smaxx?
  3. The discounted me nicely for my MI/Military status, and shipped free.

Still need to install!

Since you have not installed, are you even sure the quality is any good or the product even works? NO!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I see this on their site. As the first lift company to EVER offer something for our platform, SuspensionMAXX is in a special position for the platform. Although all lift vendors seem to have enthusiastic supporters - mostly the folks who install their products and think their decision was the best. For each of them, their decision WAS the best.
View attachment 17333

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 10

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
jbones said:

Can you be sure I can't be sure? NO!

I am sure without installation and use, you can not be sure it works. It may work, but I will not support that company at all. I don't claim to know if it works, but I have handled their products and think they are a cheap interpretation of someone else's design.

I can testify to MarkMc's products through several installs and some serious use of a variety of his products. That is why am am fully comfortable to promoting them to the OP.

UncleMoney

Dec 5, 2011
The general consensus is MarkMC's lift(myself included). I would go with the tried and true product here! But we can only recommend something to you so many times, you'll have to pick what you want ultimately though!

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I am sure without installation and use, you can not be sure it works. It may work, but I will not support that company at all. I don't claim to know if it works, but I have handled their products and think they are a cheap interpretation of someone else's design.

I can testify to MarkMc's products through several installs and some serious use of a variety of his products. That is why am am fully comfortable to promoting them to the OP.

You appear to have a strong loyalty, I like that!

But, you know, I just posted what I purchased, gave the OP some information that they can take on board or discard. I didn’t post any of any other vendor. I’ve heard a bit of the story on the OS, and has squat to do with me, or my decision making. I do not know either of the individuals beyond seeking information of a kit, and the purchase of a kit. I heard many good things of both vendors on the OS. I received excellent communication from both on product, and believe both have a high quality topnotch product, based on reputation. Either one could be sitting in my garage yet to be installed! You see I had nothing but the reading of the OS, and vendor communication’s to aid in my decision of purchase.
The main reason didn’t buy MarkMC was because I misunderstood, or I didn’t ask the right question’s; I thought all his kits where 2.5 front and rear, and I didn’t want that much. So I sought my needs elsewhere. I hope you will allow me and others in the future to spend our cash based on our needs, not to criticize, mock, or bash based on personal loyalty, friendship, or vendor preference.

So at this point I would like to return the thread to the OP’s inquiry.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
jbones said:
I hope you will allow me and others in the future to spend our cash based on our needs, not to criticize, mock, or bash based on personal loyalty, friendship, or vendor preference.

Where did I do any of this?

EDIT--I did send you a PM previously so this discussion could leave the thread and you chose to reply here.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I sent a Pm to Mark. Why can't choosing a kit be so easy. Yes, I will probally make my budget a bit bigger that is If I can between Gas and Insurance on <130.00 a week paycheck.....

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
In my experience, EVERY lift product out there for our platform can be called derivative in some fashion. Kits often get purchased or inspected closely by competitors, reverse engineered, copied, and improved. There are one or two vendors who are innovative, copied by others, and invest in RD to the benefit of the community. But I agree, this is a "help the noobs" thread, not "drag out six years of dirty laundry accusations" thread.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Where did I do any of this?

EDIT--I did send you a PM previously so this discussion could leave the thread and you chose to reply here.

My sincere apologies, I typed in word, cut and pasted, and posted before I saw I had a PM.

I can completely understand where your coming from, I too have preferences; S&W, Craftsman, Levis, on-and- on, each with its’ own story I’m sure. In this case the personal issue, or business dealings of the two vendors is far removed from me, both sides could tell a version of the story and I would be none the wiser to who is being truthful. My purchase was about me, not about them.

To the OP, I am not endorsing any one kit, I am only telling you which one I purchased, based on my need, and a few reasons why. Good luck choosing the one that best suits you. The three that I considered was the Rough County, had a good price @$129, (A similar can also be found on fat bobs garage I’ve seen) but after a few calls to Rough Country they could never tell me with certainty that it would fit a “08”. Marks kit was offered to me @ $169 I think, but passed as I thought it only came in the 2.5 front & back, I didn’t want that high. The one I bought I paid $175 delivered, with a slight 2” front and 1” rear level, as my need was only to level and place 255/65/17 rubber on a stock rim.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
I have:

A Rough Country Levelling Kit (on the truck)
SuspensionMaxx rear spacers (also on the truck)
Mark's rear spacers (extra parts)
Mark's Body Lift (on the truck)

They all work fine. In fact the SuspensionMaxx stuff and Mark's old kit are nearly identical. Mark's new kit is about the same as a BDS or Rough Country kit, only cut from aluminum instead of welded steel.

People forget (or just don't know) that these are all just spacer lifts. It's like lift blocks for leaf springs. Not a lot of R&D here. SuspensionMaxx "made" a product for our platform because something they already had fit. Even the much revered BDS simply welded some plate steel to a piece of DOM tube. When you get past the brand names and loyalties, all these things are just blocks of metal that prop the truck up a bit.

Whoever turns out an actual bracket lift for our IFS or a weld in SAS kit deserves our undying loyalty. THAT will require some actual R&D.

Mark... Mike... I'm looking at you guys.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Have had some chats w another none Offroad member about actually creating a sas kit. So you never know.

07ChevyTruck

Dec 5, 2011
I have a suspension maxx kit on my truck and ordered the front diff spacers from them as well so far so good. :thumbsup:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011

07ChevyTruck

Dec 5, 2011
the roadie said:
The front WHAT spacers? :confused:

Sorry about that. I thought the TBs had a similar set up to the Colorados and Canyons. :frown:

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Will you lose some MPG with a Leveling and a Lift Kit?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Cable810 said:
Yes. Nobody can answer exactly how much because every vehicle is different. You lose some also for more aggressive tires if you get those. You lose even more if you get larger tires.

My continuous advice is: if you have an offroad or terrain mission that DEMANDS a lift and more aggressive tires, you just need to do it, and figure out LATER what it's costing you. If you're doing it for appearance only, and money is an impediment, then don't do it. You're not ready.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
Cable810 said:

I asked the same once, and was told expect to lose a tad, and of course bigger/agressive tires will also decrease MPG.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see "the roadie" answered, he was the source who told me what I just told you.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Does anyone have MarkMc Kit installed only in the Front of their TB? Pictures would be Great :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.