Recommended 'GMTNation' equivalents for Silverado / Sierra?

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I know we have sections for just about all GMT platforms on our site. But over 90% of the posts here concern our 360s / 370s, as we all know.

I know a few here have full-size pickups. Any recommendations for other sites to pick up good repair info, etc. ?
A lot of the sites I find (especially for the 3/4 ton & up) have a heavy diesel emphasis, and while that's great, I don't own a diesel (yet).

My 'new to me' Sierra is a 2003, so the more 1st-gen content, the better. :thumbsup:

No, I'm not planning on 'leaving' our site (although the Envoy will have to go, sad to say - no room for it).
Just gotta get my 'full-size' learning on... LOL

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you do look at other forums, avoid those run by VerticalScope. Will probably be wastelands like the old site has become.

Reactions: Capote

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Ditto what he said. There is a site I've been using since I got my truck for reference (trying to put stuff here when it is useful info of course) and I found out it is run by Vertical Scope. The website has been severely broken for a while, though they seem to have fixed at least some of the major functional issues (not all of them).

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Every other GM platform forum I've browsed on seemed to already be in V.S.'s grasp sadly. Only one I've been on that wasn't was for the G-Bodies.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm familiar w/ the two sites @jpinoy mentioned, but appreciate the help. Keep 'em coming!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I really haven't had to frequent them all that much (which is a good thing.) And when I do, usually my 360 knowledge is enough to fix the problem. On the Escalade form a lot more but those have really specific issues... mag/air ride to name one.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Yea - I'd love some 1500HD-specific info, using your example of the 'Slade, but there just isn't much. Meaning I get to study 1500- *and* 2500-specific content. Oh well...I love reading :smile:

My next homework is torsion bar (front) suspension. And the rear on this truck is leaf (not complaining, just noting that I'm unfamiliar with the intricacies of maint / repair of both.)

All that being said, I'm happy (for now) that I found the 1500HD, as my hope is that it has a little (?) better ride quality than a 2500, since it'll be used almost exclusively for highway towing.

Found out the tires on this thing are 'Commercial Traction' type, for whatever that's worth. Probably will replace with a regular A/T, when the time comes.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Yea - I'd love some 1500HD-specific info, using your example of the 'Slade, but there just isn't much. Meaning I get to study 1500- *and* 2500-specific content. Oh well...I love reading :smile:

My next homework is torsion bar (front) suspension. And the rear on this truck is leaf (not complaining, just noting that I'm unfamiliar with the intricacies of maint / repair of both.)

All that being said, I'm happy (for now) that I found the 1500HD, as my hope is that it has a little (?) better ride quality than a 2500, since it'll be used almost exclusively for highway towing.

Found out the tires on this thing are 'Commercial Traction' type, for whatever that's worth. Probably will replace with a regular A/T, when the time comes.
Torsion bars need nothing tbh. Leafs either. Set and forget.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Make sure you get the appropriate tire type. My guess is it uses LT tires, not P metric. Just something to be aware of.

My 1500 non-HD uses P metric stock, but I put LT load range E on it. Mostly because the tire I wanted (BFG KO2) didn't come in P metric or a lower load range.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Tire Rack shows that LR 'E' is the specified requirement for mine (only 16" diameter); I think that puts it into the LT category by default. No complaints with that from my end. I'll spend the extra dollars when needed to ensure safety for all, as well as limit my own personal liability. Am thankful for the 16" diameter from a cost perspective, however.

The china bombs that came with my trailer (& now have close to 3K miles on them) are 'C' rated. Been looking to step up to at least 'D', but choices are limited in 14" diameter. Was hoping not to have to purchase new rims just to get some better tire choices. Enough about that, though...I'm a bit 'tire-d' right now. :: groan ::

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The new 1500 with Max Tow and the 6.2 don't even come with LT. They are standard P when stock.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Tire Rack shows that LR 'E' is the specified requirement for mine (only 16" diameter); I think that puts it into the LT category by default. No complaints with that from my end. I'll spend the extra dollars when needed to ensure safety for all, as well as limit my own personal liability. Am thankful for the 16" diameter from a cost perspective, however.

The china bombs that came with my trailer (& now have close to 3K miles on them) are 'C' rated. Been looking to step up to at least 'D', but choices are limited in 14" diameter. Was hoping not to have to purchase new rims just to get some better tire choices. Enough about that, though...I'm a bit 'tire-d' right now. :: groan ::

The trailer has a max weight capacity rating itself, which is likely well within the range of "C" rated tires. Going up isn't going to really do much for you except cost money.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
One thing I learned a long time ago is to have trailer wheels/ tires balanced for the longevity of the tires and bearings. You would not believe the amount if weights it sometimes needs to balance them. A couple if times had to use truck weights on 8" rims! At that size, you need to find a shop with a bubble balancer or get your own.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
The trailer has a max weight capacity rating itself, which is likely well within the range of "C" rated tires. Going up isn't going to really do much for you except cost money.

Peace of mind. Which is worth a lot, for this chronic worrier...lol. :yikes:
Yes, the stock tires are 'legal' for the trailer (which has a GVWR of about 2500 lb more than empty - not that I ever see myself carrying 2500lb of 'extra gear' in the trailer.) With a higher load range come more plies, on average. If I can find US-made tires, that's more peace of mind (although it appears that even one of the two GoodYear TT offerings now has a recall initiated because of - sudden failures (blowouts).

I have one of those HF laser temp guns, and check the temp of the tires when I've been running them hard. So far, so good - they have been showing roughly same temp as the Firestones I have on the Envoy. Yes, I know I'm exposing myself to potential criticism / ridicule by evaluating CCC manufactured tires I consider to be inferior, with CCC-mfg'd instruments to evaluate said inferiority. :dunce: Flame away! :dielaugh:

One thing I learned a long time ago is to have trailer wheels/ tires balanced for the longevity of the tires and bearings. You would not believe the amount if weights it sometimes needs to balance them. A couple if times had to use truck weights on 8" rims! At that size, you need to find a shop with a bubble balancer or get your own.

Noted! I really need to find a RV-specific shop around here to check on things like this, along with alignment, and other things I "don't know about" re: trailer maintenance.

During my Montana trip, there were times while I was feeding the Voy yet another tankful of gas when I'd look at the trailer axles on the driver's side and swear that it looked like the rear tire was canted on an angle, relative to the front one. I need to check that, and soon. Really wish my HOA didn't have restrictions regarding trailers. Or that I was better at making up to-do lists... :duh:

The things I put up with (& the money I spend) to shorten my bucket list...LOL But I'm still glad I'm fortunate enough to be able to shorten it. Beats a life of quiet desperation, to turn a phrase.

On edit (and to nudge this thread back on track): I read yesterday from a supposed GM employee that the 1500HD was created largely as a 'badge job' so that GM could boast the largest tow capacity-enabled 1/2 ton on the market, back in the day. Supposedly, it shares much more with the 2500 than the driveline (although the same person said that the rear axle is rated for 900 fewer lbs, and is a semi-floater instead of a full.) So if I ever want to swap to the 4.10, best to get it from a 'real' 2500. That swap probably will happen at some point. (damn you, Moose! LMAO)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online