Recommendations on quick struts

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Instead of swapping the Bilstein HD cartridges again, I would like to get the spring assembly this time.

I'm after something a little stiffer than stock, but not much firmer (if at all) than the HD Bilsteins.

I didnt have much faith in the Monroe after my buddy ordered them for his XL and the front sagged considerably afterwards. I believe there is a different part number for the front spring on the LWB but not 100% certain. He confirmed that his part was correct but they may use the same spring for both wheelbase models.

Either way, I'm open to all suggestions.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
New springs, new upper mounts, new HD bilsteins or the new 5100 bilsteins and shock boots is the way to go. Have a shop put it all together for you this way it's an easier swap and you don't have to deal with the whole strut spring compressor tool at all.

I haven't heard anyone say anything great about quick struts from any brand.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
The KYB quick struts were pretty decent. When I had my EXT, I ran those and they were a bit firmer then stock, but not really "firm" like the Bilsteins. It did have some sag in the front, but I think its the nature of it being heaver then the SWB. I'm running Monroe OE Spectrums with the slightly stiffer Moog spring (81112) and the Monroe bushing strut bushing kit and I'm pretty happy with how it rides. I'd say its about the same as the KYB quick strut, but a tad hair stiffer. Front is about as high as it was before swapping out the old ones. My buddy was running the KYB's in his SWB (before getting a Tahoe) and it didn't have front sag either.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I've never really researched the springs...but that sounds like the better choice, and to use the HD Bilsteins.

Upon a quick search, the LWB models use a longer spring, (about 1" longer) with a higher load rating...this would explain the sag.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Yep - there were several different potential springs GM put in. IIRC, there were 16 possible combinations, per a posting someone had written (forget the site).

I actually have a chart of the different colors / load rates on my HDD somewhere. Was able to track down that my '03 LWB 5.3 w/ 3.73 gear had the 'orange' series all around - which was the 4th stiffest.

Found it - maybe this will be helpful. The rears have the RPO codes. I've forgotten how I figured out the front ones. Keep in mind that it's not an absolute 'given' that the fronts will be the same as the rears, once you figure those out. If anyone still has the label on their front springs at this point, it would be a miracle (or they've kept their truck hermetically sealed and never drove it).

This info was a prime reason I stuck with the OEM springs, and didn't go with the quick struts - which only come in one variety, IIRC.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
@Reprise Awesome....thanks. The dealer said my VIN had the ....883 and ...884 springs, different part# for the left and right. Odd that they are different lengths and likely due to torque twist..not sure unless other areas of the chassis calls for different lengths.

I will look into these springs more in depth.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Added @Reprise 's post to the FAQ for the spring rates and codes. :thumbsup:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It was quite common for these to have different springs on different sides. Some suppose that it is due to the fuel tank on the dr side....but who knows?

It has also been seen that some LWB with have shorter spring than some SWB. There truly has never been a real rhyme or reason to how GM seemed to stick the springs in. Other than i have not seen anyone have 87/88/89 rates stock.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online