Recommendations on Buying a New Scan Tool

ssalvat

Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Arvada, Colorado
Hi All,

I recently bought a 2006 GMC Yukon XL. Pretty much as soon as I got it home it started throwing p0172 and p0175 codes, which I've learned (for a flex fuel vehicle) can often mean the ethanol reading is off. So, at the very least, I'm looking for something that will read the ethanol % to see if that's the case, and maybe even something to reset it so I don't have to go to a dealer.

I'll also just state that I'm pretty cheap, and don't want to spend $4000 or whatever for a new mechanic quality tool, there's just no way I can justify it. So, I'm looking at various levels of budget tools, and obviously the more I spend the more functionality I would expect. I'd be interested to hear opinions/recommendations on what I'm thinking.

First up is the plain cheap BAFX scan tool you can find on Amazon. I actually already purchased this, but couldn't get an ethanol % reading using it and Torque. I'm going to play around with custom PIDs a bit more but I'm not holding out a ton of hope. I'm still in the return period, and even if I wasn't it cost $16 and does way more than my code reader from 15 years ago, so not too big a deal if it doesn't work out.

Next up is the OBDLink MX+. Supposedly it reads way more than the BAFX, including proprietary GM stuff. But, it's also $100, as opposed to $16. Are the extra capabilities of the MX+ worth the much higher price tag?

Finally is a Tech2 clone. At this point you can find them for under $300, which isn't nothing, but if it saves me 2 trips to the dealer it's paid for itself. This is appealing because I'd be able to reset the ethanol % myself, not just read it (right?).

As an added twist, I also own a 2008 Pontiac Vibe. If I could use the Tech2 clone on both the Yukon and the Vibe then it would be worth twice as much to me. But, the Vibe is really a Toyota Matrix, so will it work with a Tech2? And, will a single Tech2 clone work with both a Yukon and a Vibe? I've seen it mentioned in some listings that the clone only works with "cars" and not "trucks." Does the Yukon count as a truck in this sense? Is there maybe just a different software card required?

As you can probably tell I'm pretty new to all of this, the last car I spent a lot of time working on was a 1979 Jeep Cherokee, no computer issues there :smile: Anyway, I'd greatly appreciate any opinions and/or advice you can give me. Thanks in advance!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
As an added twist, I also own a 2008 Pontiac Vibe. If I could use the Tech2 clone on both the Yukon and the Vibe then it would be worth twice as much to me. But, the Vibe is really a Toyota Matrix, so will it work with a Tech2? And, will a single Tech2 clone work with both a Yukon and a Vibe? I've seen it mentioned in some listings that the clone only works with "cars" and not "trucks." Does the Yukon count as a truck in this sense? Is there maybe just a different software card required?
It works on all GM NA (North America) vehicles. Their is a special card for the SAAB/SAABARU, but we arent talking about those, so lets not confuse the issue.

The TECH2 Laptop emulator is the one I am going for once I get settled in financially (does that ever really happen). Its about 1/3 the price, if you already own one of the designated laptops, of a Tech2 clone, and does the same thing. If you dont own one of the designated laptops, its only going to cost you about 50 more for a used laptop, and your at 1/2 the cost of a Tech2 Clone.

One like this, thou I am not sure this is the correct one..

And you can find them on sale for about 75 some of the time.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
As far as the various cheap clones of the ELM or other similar devices one thing to be aware of. Your 2006 Yukon will almost certainly use the SAE J1850 VPW protocol for all communications. This can be verified by looking closely at the OBD2 DLC port where you plug in the scanner device. Google up OBD2 pinout and you will see J1850 listed in terminal 2. Power on 16 and grounds on 4 and 5. If your port has just those 4 connections inside then you most certainly are J1850 and no canbus.

As for apps to use with those obd adapters they are numerous. From a hardware standpoint they are essentially all the same as long as the support the J1850 VPW your good. The parameters they do or do not pull up is a simple matter of software. If the PID (Parameter ID) is known it can be manually added to Apss like Torque Pro, Car Scanner Pro, OBD Fusion etc. Car Gauge Pro is known to have a built in ability to pull codes from all modules on these older GM vehicles.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Having a Tech 2 myself, I can vouch for its usefulness however is limited to 2013 or older vehicles. If you were to invest in such a tool, I'd go with the current GM MDI clone interface. It is backwards compatible and uses a Tech 2 emulator on the laptop. It also future proofs you for any future vehicle that may not be compatible with the old Tech 2 handheld tool.

ssalvat

Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Arvada, Colorado
Whoa, TollKeeper, I didn't know that existed for GM but that would be perfect! I actually did something similar for a Toyota and it worked fine. I definitely have a laptop floating around that I could use, assuming it just needs to be Windows 10. If I could get one of these for $100 and it'll do everything a Tech2 will do then this is an easy decision. Only concern is the reviews, which are either great or terrible, depending on the experience with the software. Can anyone weigh in on a particular piece of hardware/software they like as an emulator?

TJBaker57, I just checked and my port does only have those 4 pins. I assume this means that the MX+'s ability to read the canbus doesn't really matter?

Mooseman, can you give me an example of a "current GM MDI clone interface." Again, I'm a total noob with this stuff :smile:

Thanks all, keep the great advice coming!

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
  • Wow
Reactions: Redbeard

ssalvat

Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Arvada, Colorado
Interesting...what's the difference between that one on AliExpress and TollKeeper's link on Amazon? Seems like ordering from Amazon for $100 less would be a no brainer unless I'm missing something. Is the Ali version a standalone unit while the Amazon version requires a laptop?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I can tell you that the VXDiag version seems to have limits on the OS for the laptop. THere have been people that have gotten it to work on windows 10, but it seems to prefer Windows 7 32bit and older. It was designed around windows XP.

ssalvat

Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Arvada, Colorado
Well, I had some time this morning to test out a couple of the scan tools I mentioned and I thought I'd share the results. I think I found a PID that works for Ethanol % for my Yukon (PID = 2212F3, Equation = A/2.55, Header = Auto or 6C10F1 (got the same results with both), everything else leave default values). Credit to aaronc7 over here: https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/more-pids-for-torque-app.20176/

I say think because the reading was 62%, when I'm definitely running regular unleaded with ~10% ethanol. That said, with the long term fuel trims I read of around -20 for both this does sound like the kind of setup that causes the p0172 and p0175 codes I've been getting.

As a fun aside, I took the car out this morning for a 10 mile or so drive to warm it up before testing, and during the drive the check engine light went out...go figure.

Anyway, back to the scan tools. I first tried with the cheap BAFX tool and Torque Pro and the values popped up right away. I also got a couple of weird Hz values (around 11, FWIW) using PIDs that someone mentioned here: https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/flex-fuel-sensor-pid-p59.20621/ I have no idea what these mean, if anything, but I got values for them.

I then tried with the much more expensive MX+, and it was a struggle. It didn't want to connect to bluetooth, I tried on two different phones, and I finally found I had to use their app to really connect, at which point I could use Torque as well. Their app was pretty limited, it does have a custom PID editor, but when I typed exactly the same thing in there as in Torque it wouldn't read anything (in their editor the first two bits of the PID are entered on a separate line from the last 4 bits, I did that, so that wasn't the issue...seemed like it might have been the header). Maybe I could have gotten the syntax right eventually but why bother. I also didn't get any Hz values in Torque using the MX+...again, no idea what this means, but if nothing else it means the BAFX was sending more data my way than the MX+.

So, at least in my case, the BAFX wins hands down. And, no real surprise here, Torque Pro wins over the OBDLink app. I do still want to get an ethanol reading from a Tech2 level tool, whether that's at the dealer, using an emulator, or maybe I can find someone with a nice one, to make sure that the reading is accurate (and of course reset it if it is). But so far the BAFX is looking like $20 well spent.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86