Reccomend me a 4 channel amp

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Good morning fellas. I'm in the market for my third amp for the truck. Let me give you the low down. I originally ran the door speakers off the headunit until I added the sub. The headunit did an alright job but couldn't really keep up. So I added the first amp which was a blaupunkt unit. Severely underrated that unit put out a clean 85 watts rms according to a few o-scopes. That lasted 3 years and finally started going into protect mode but holy crap did it have clean power. I replaced that with a JBL unit that never sounded as good and ran roughly 70 watts rms cleanly. That made it less than a year before it went into some random state where the output would drop and get all distorted at a normal volume that happens to be a listening level when you're on the highway and is getting progressively worse to the point where I can't even enjoy it anymore.

So now we're here. I would like to know what you reccomend as far as a 4 channel amp that I can fit under the drivers seat that pushes around 60-80 watts rms. I would prefer class A/B only because having the mini amp in the envoy I could hear the difference between that and class D but... I would imagine that a good class D sounds fine. I also don't want anything crazy expensive either. Under 400 or so. I was looking at Rockford, focal and MTX on their more entry level stuff but I overall wasn't extremely impressed spec wise... I know it isn't the be all end all but it's a decent way to go when you can't listen to them all.

Any input is much appreciated.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Mildly surprised that no one replied before now.

This is my non-scientific opinion, but if you've gone through three amps in the 70-85w RMS range...maybe you should look at something that has more power, but you wouldn't have to drive as hard. As someone told me long ago... 10% of 100 is going to sound better than 100% of 10 (even though it's still 10 watts, in either case.

It's gonna cost you more, especially if you want class A/B. Not sure what the warranty is on something like a JL Audio, but I'm thinking that's the type of amp you might want to look at. Something considered dead nuts reliable. Hopefully, JL still is in business - I'm going from old-school memory off the top of my head.

Another idea - look at something you can bridge 2-channel, and run a front soundstage + sub. With something like this, you could get a lower-wattage amp (but you'll be driving the output twice as hard, so...)

As far as the brands you listed...
Rockford - pair great with their speakers, otherwise, so-so.
Focal - speakers sound nice - but I'd never pay that kind of coin. I've heard them on multiple occasions and have 'picked' them a couple of times, if cost was no object (and this was when I was making decent coin.) I don't know that I've heard their amps, lately, but if they're like the speakers, they probably sound pretty good.
MTX - more entry level, but if they have a good 2-3yr warranty, might be worth a try.

If you want to try a class D, give Pioneer a look-see.
I've had experience with Alpine; those are good, at least when I had them.

Finally...what are you using for speaks? If it's something 'really good', they may need a good amount of power to drive them properly.

Reactions: Mooseman

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Mildly surprised that no one replied before now.

This is my non-scientific opinion, but if you've gone through three amps in the 70-85w RMS range...maybe you should look at something that has more power, but you wouldn't have to drive as hard. As someone told me long ago... 10% of 100 is going to sound better than 100% of 10 (even though it's still 10 watts, in either case.

It's gonna cost you more, especially if you want class A/B. Not sure what the warranty is on something like a JL Audio, but I'm thinking that's the type of amp you might want to look at. Something considered dead nuts reliable. Hopefully, JL still is in business - I'm going from old-school memory off the top of my head.

Another idea - look at something you can bridge 2-channel, and run a front soundstage + sub. With something like this, you could get a lower-wattage amp (but you'll be driving the output twice as hard, so...)

As far as the brands you listed...
Rockford - pair great with their speakers, otherwise, so-so.
Focal - speakers sound nice - but I'd never pay that kind of coin. I've heard them on multiple occasions and have 'picked' them a couple of times, if cost was no object (and this was when I was making decent coin.) I don't know that I've heard their amps, lately, but if they're like the speakers, they probably sound pretty good.
MTX - more entry level, but if they have a good 2-3yr warranty, might be worth a try.

If you want to try a class D, give Pioneer a look-see.
I've had experience with Alpine; those are good, at least when I had them.

Finally...what are you using for speaks? If it's something 'really good', they may need a good amount of power to drive them properly.
JBLs in the rear doors and a set of JBL components up front. Not high end but not entry. It's their mid level setup. I've always exceeded rated rms by a fair margin when I selected components and the speakers them selves are claimed to be rated for 65 watts rms. (But they seem to sound better when I didn't have the gain pulled back on the amp)

The first amp spent 90% of its life screaming so I understood that. But the replacement really wasn't abused all the much which is what bothered me. The speakers are some oddball 3.2 ohms or something like that but everything was 2 ohm stable so I never really bothered digging into that too. I'll give JL a look as well.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I've got a brand new 4 channel kicker amp In a box of goodies, if your interested Its not a newer model but it might fit the bill.20180921_135848.jpg
Your's for the total of free next time I'm in your neck of the woods, thats if your interested.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
I've got a brand new 4 channel kicker amp In a box of goodies, if your interested Its not a newer model but it might fit the bill.View attachment 86861
Your's for the total of free next time I'm in your neck of the woods, thats if your interested.
Very much appreciate the offer. However, I think my aunts and mom will actually kill me because as of now, it's like the only thing they have to go off as far as a Christmas present. :weird: So, I'll say keep it for you for now.

Reactions: xavierny25

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm a pioneer fan boy, currently eyeballing a 5 channel they offer. I don't have a lot of their stuff but what I do have is top notch and I'm sold on them for brand (all except subs, I have beat and abused my kickers and they're still kicking. Over-wattage for 3 years straight, only smelled them once lol)

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
I'm a pioneer fan boy, currently eyeballing a 5 channel they offer. I don't have a lot of their stuff but what I do have is top notch and I'm sold on them for brand (all except subs, I have beat and abused my kickers and they're still kicking. Over-wattage for 3 years straight, only smelled them once lol)
My sub is actually a pioneer... well its RadioShacks house brand from the 80s which was made by pioneer. Kicker makes decent subs. For the money you can't touch them lol.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.