Recall: Philips Respironics CPAP machines

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just found out last night that a lot of CPAP/BiPAP machines from Philips are being recalled due to foam inside that can give off noxious chemicals and particles that can go directly into the lungs.

And if you have one, you can verify and register your machine for possible replacement or repair.

If you're using one of these machines, it's recommended that you stop using it and obtain/use another one. Contact your treating physician or clinic for advice and options.

I have an older one that is affected that I was using but I have gone back to my Resmed. Only inconvenience is that it's noisy and runs on 24v instead of 12v to use in the RV. I was not contacted by either Philips or my CPAP clinic. Philips are doing this on the hush-hush. Info out there so far says it can be a long time before this is fixed.

Just posting this to get the word out.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Just found out last night that a lot of CPAP/BiPAP machines from Philips are being recalled due to foam inside that can give off noxious chemicals and particles that can go directly into the lungs.

And if you have one, you can verify and register your machine for possible replacement or repair.

If you're using one of these machines, it's recommended that you stop using it and obtain/use another one. Contact your treating physician or clinic for advice and options.

I have an older one that is affected that I was using but I have gone back to my Resmed. Only inconvenience is that it's noisy and runs on 24v instead of 12v to use in the RV. I was not contacted by either Philips or my CPAP clinic. Philips are doing this on the hush-hush. Info out there so far says it can be a long time before this is fixed.

Just posting this to get the word out.
I actually saw the commercial for this on a major network the other day. It's been going on for quite a bit now though. Dad has a machine that is effected. Apparently the ozone cleaners exacerbate the issue. I have to check but chemically it makes sense...

Dad found out through a friend around the 4th. We registered that day

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Apparently the ozone cleaners exacerbate the issue. I have to check but chemically it makes sense...
That could be a cover up excuse for it however other brands aren't affected by it. Some tests show that the foam does expel the chemicals no matter if it was used with an ozone cleaner or not. We heard absolutely nothing here about it and I'm a news junkie. Luckily I hadn't been using it for too long.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Appreciate the heads-up. I had found out about this a few weeks earlier (and not thru Philips, b/c my machine wasn't registered -- for which I have my old 'sleep doctor' to thank).
Anyway... the cause is listed above, as is the link to check your S/N, so I won't go into that. Yes, my machine was affected. :yikes:

When I checked Philips' site, they conveyed the following (these are not quotes, just my recollection):

- There are no loaners, so if you send yours for repair, you better have some backup

- If your machine is => 5yrs old, they'll steer you toward a new machine, as that's when most insurance policies allow for a replacement, anyway. (this is my case).
No, there are NO 'incentives' ($) listed to do so (see: Insurance).

- The issue isn't intended to be self-repairable (although I'm sure I and others here could do it, if we had access to the replacement parts, etc.). It has to be sent back to Philips or an 'authorized service center'. :frown: I don't like this, but I understand why -- some end-user would f*ck up the repair, harm themselves (or die), and then Philips would be liable.

Finally...
If you can't be without a machine, until you get a new one... Philips recommended an 'inline bacteria filter' to guard against any particles (it goes inline between the longer airway tube that connects to your machine, and the shorter one that connects to your mask.)

Amazon doesn't have these any more (the page link goes to their 'no mas' page), so here's a pic from my earlier order, for those wanting these filters. The price listed (USD) was the cheapest I found, so that's why I'm showing it here...

1627932568468.png

Note that some airflow is restricted with this, so if you're on the upper margin w/ regard to flow rate, this may not work for you, especially long-term (my machine runs 0-20, and it's set up to ramp between 7-13). I had read this in the reviews, and can confirm that it cuts the flow by a good 20-30% (as measured by the nose dyno). But it doesn't affect my sleep negatively (even though my machine won't go above '13'). I also know how to 'jailbreak' the machine, so I can put it at whatever range I want.

Also, I'm not an MD, so it's always best to check with yours, before changing / doing anything.

Since the machines are Rx-only (although supplies for them aren't), you need a prescription to obtain a new one, at least here in the States. As I wasn't going back to my old 'sleep' Dr. under any circumstances, I got a couple of filters, and waited until I was due to visit my internist, which I did last week for my yearly go-around. He was a bit hesitant to write for a CPAP machine, but wrote the referral. So I'll make an appt for a new sleep guy, and get a replacement via that channel.

And for those who ask... I'll probably get another Philips, as long as my current insurance will pay for their brand; just my preference. YMMV. I just like them a little better, vs. their competitors, is all.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Apparently there is an issue with supply with all suppliers because of the lack of chips.

The bacteria filter sounds like a good idea however may not stop the VOCs which has been a problem from day 1 no matter if you used an ozone cleaner or not.

I don't trust it. Apparent on the older system one models it's easy to take out that foam. The later dreamstations are a bitch to get it out.

Info about this issue has been spotty. Just spreading the word for our own health.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online

No members online now.