rebuilding the rack and pinion

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Has anyone on here done this before? Mine is leaking out the driver side and was debating on rebuilding vs replacing. Thought or advice?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Buy a reman and get your core deposit back later. That way you get a warranty you won't get with a rebuild kit. Unless you know it can be fixed by the $35-40 rebuild kits and you can stand the downtime.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Search for Detroit Axle. Cost is about 130 for a reman.

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Yea I was taking to hotness and he told me about Detroit axle. Probably gunna go that route instead. Thanks all

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
triz said:
Search for Detroit Axle. Cost is about 130 for a reman.
I used the Detroit Axle re-man on mine. Works fine. I did have to replace one unit that they originally sent me as it ended up missing the poppet valve in the return line. I could not get it to seal up and tried multiple times before discovering the missing valve. They sent another unit next-day no questions asked and everything worked perfectly! Stil running the unit today.

Not that difficult to swap the rack either if one gets the right tools. Use a spark plug socket for the deep pockets (tire side) that hold the rack to the subframe, then place a wrench on the socket flats. Remove bolts from the rear side. With air tools this takes seconds, but without the spark plug socket trick this is the most frustrating part of the job.

Also, be prepared to remove the spindle from the lower ball joint on the driver's side for access to the lines on the rack. It CAN be done without this step, but if one removes the ball joint and slides the CV out of the way there is easy room for the hand and arm through the wheel well.

I can now swap out the rack, using air tools, in under 45 minutes complete.

Reactions: triz

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I think I am gonna buy the detroit one. Been adding about a qt of fluid a month for awhile now and since its not the DD, it seems excessive :biggrin:

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
I don't remember having to do that with hotness's truck but ok...

uploadfromtaptalk1401490085878.jpg

now what?

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
If you don't have the tools to pull the engine out, take it to a shop so they pull the engine for you...next, you get your truck towed home for the install of the rack and pinion...:lol:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online

No members online now.