Rebuilding motor

07TrailyLS

Original poster
May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Hey guys! My work truck my company gave me (2013 Silverado 5.3) just had its engine pulled because the lifter took a shit. (AFM at its best). Well. They let me have the motor they pulled. It’s sitting in my garage and I’m getting ready to tear it down. I honestly doubt there is any metal in the pan from the lifter pounding against the cam since it only did it for less than 15 minutes of driving before it went to the shop. Anyway, I’d like to rebuild this entire motor and put it into hopefully an old s10 or something I can pick up cheap. I would try to get 500 horsepower out of this motor but with the spur of the moment it was offered to me, I have no previous knowledge of this specific 5.3 other than it’s LS based. So where should I start with the rebuild process? I’m trying to get a plan going I guess. Sorry for being so vague.

Reactions: Capote

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Check out sloppy mechanics on YouTube. He takes junkyard LS motors and build them with junkyard parts and makes stupid power (turbo, ethanol) in an s10. Only new parts are usually cam/springs/injectors. Dude reuses almost every gasket and pushes to the max and they hold well impressively.

My current inspiration and teacher for my new-to-me 03 Silverado haha.

Reactions: Mooseman and Capote

07TrailyLS

Original poster
May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Will do man! Thanks

Reactions: Capote

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
To get a Bird's Eye View of how this gets done... Sit back with a KuppaJoe... and watch these two intrepid young mechanics perform their "500 HP Budget Build" in stages on a Youtube Series. What is cool about these vidz is that you get to see and hear the motor performing a lot after the Engine Installation:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=500+hp+budget+build

Reactions: Redbeard

07TrailyLS

Original poster
May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
I’ll watch it later on after I get off work. Thanks for the info brother!

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Not sure if you are staying with a re-build of your present LS Engine… but these three videos are worth viewing as a Primer on How to Find the Best R&R LS Candidates at your Local Junk Yards, etc… and How to Pull the Motor... JIK that Engine in your Garage ultimately proves unusable for any reason... This information is very good to know if you need to 'seek and find' another one for your Rebuild Project: :

The Necessary Tools-In-The- Bag to Bring Along…

The Hunt… and What to Look For... or Avoid...

The Catch…and Keep Motor... Being Pulled ...

mntegra01

Mar 26, 2018
Virginia
delete that AFM BS, just get 8 more regular lifters. Nice you got that CORE for free. around work GM wants $2500 for the core engines

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
SPPTV is another great resource for the Step By Steps on their Youtube Channel necessary for the LS Engine Rebuild(s)... laced with a Sweet Learning Curve of Technical Information included by the young Canadian Owner/Driver/Narrator. His older crew all know there stuff... and while they do break absolutely everything they build during hard racing... they also don't mind doing the hands-on work to R&R&R all of their mistakes and make their motors run...better! These guys remind me a bit of the @littleblazer and @brianlibby791 Team ...working on their Red Truck Project:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
SPPTV is another great resource for the Step By Steps on their Youtube Channel necessary for the LS Engine Rebuild(s)... laced with a Sweet Learning Curve of Technical Information included by the young Canadian Owner/Driver/Narrator. His older crew all know there stuff... and while they do break absolutely everything they build during hard racing... they also don't mind doing the hands-on work to R&R&R all of their mistakes and make their motors run...better! These guys remind me a bit of the @littleblazer and @brianlibby791 Team ...working on their Red Truck Project:

After the first two seconds I realized that these guys are way more professional than @brianlibby791 and I lol.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

brianlibby791

Feb 25, 2017
New Jersey
At the same time, I understand how to build race truck things now. I'm sure @brianlibby791 does too
Yeah building this truck made me a lot more comfortable with working on other things such as my truck. Its really an experience and i highly suggest it.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Easy, you two, or I'm gonna get convinced to actually rebuild a 6.0L and swap it into my 'Voy, rather than just go get a 2500.

Reactions: mrrsm

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
To get a Bird's Eye View of how this gets done... Sit back with a KuppaJoe... and watch these two intrepid young mechanics perform their "500 HP Budget Build" in stages on a Youtube Series. What is cool about these vidz is that you get to see and hear the motor performing a lot after the Engine Installation:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=500+hp+budget+build

Wish I had friends like that to tool with, the only one I have can be an a**hole and takes-over/rushes on stuff that isn't theirs... Takes the fun out of everything.

Reactions: Blckshdw and mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If it comes down to cases...CatLoco's Junkyard Diaries will help @07TrailyLS in dealing with what comes from hunting the elusive "Good 5.3 LS Swap-N-Drop Motor" in his Local Salvage Yards.:

Small H/J ...

Maybe we could increase our Membership Roles by inviting guys like these via comments on Youtube to come here to GMT Nation ... to join and contribute what they know?

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe we could increase our Membership Roles by inviting guys like these via comments on Youtube to come here to GMT Nation ... to join and contribute what they know?

I do not recommend this. I nearly lost my sh!t when someone posted a link to a Facebook group on one of my videos.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online