Rebuilding complete front end 07Saab97x53i 158K miles

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
Rebuilding complete front end 07Saab97x53i 158K miles

At first glance from under the 97x I observe extra rust especially the lower A arms.

I was hoping rock auto would have a kit where all the front end parts that wear where available. Apparently these parts are swapped individually.

The car seams to have a slite pull to the left an the steering wheel is cocked to the left a tad, just over 70mph there is a slite wiggle in steering wheel which dissipates w/ mph increase so I assume this is wheel balance related?

The man that useally aglines my car upon my request inspects FE then I replace worn parts before aglinment this new guy want me to leave the car for inspection where I’d prefer him to stop doing the nothing your doing now and inspect while I wait, because there’s always car guys hanging around.

Since this was a norther rust belt car I’m suspious of other rust problems like the power steering tubes look kindof bad, losing power steering won’t prevent you from getting home rustie brake lines/trans/fuel ect will have you on the side of road.

As for the large front end parts maybe obtain lower A-arm at pull a part and have new ball joints pressed in.

Info
Inner​

MOOG ES3675 {#26100286, 8261002860, SBES3675} [Tie Rod End] Info
Left Outer

MOOG ES3676 {#26100287, 8261002870, SBES3676} [Tie Rod End] Castle Nut, Cotter Pin, Dust Boot Included; Jam Nut Not Included Info
Right Outer

MOOG RK620467 {#19133555, 8191335550} [Control Arm] Complete Arm w/ Ball Joint Info
Front Left Lower; With 14mm Stabilizer Bar Link Stud Diameter

MOOG RK620468 {#19133556, 8191335560} [Control Arm] Complete Arm w/ Ball Joint Info
Front Right Lower; With 14mm Stabilizer Bar Link Stud Diameter
I really like the 97x and plan to keep so I don't mind to much replacing rustie questionable parts , until I get my dream express that's builtup for alot more than 5.3 power.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I would suggest saving money, and buying a kit from Detroit Axle via ebay. I just bought this kit myself, and I have no complaints, installed it last weekend, got it aligned, and shes running perfect, and a lot more stiff in the front end (I also did struts).

I priced up the parts individually, thru local parts store, and the savings is HUGE!
Advanced Auto Parts (for DriveWorks/Dorman brand, not Moog)
Lower Control Arms with brackets and ball joints x2 - $264
Upper Control Arms x2 - $166
Upper Ball Joints x2 - $64
Stabilizer Link x2 - $59
Tie Rod x2 - $83
Total - $636
or eBay - $237

The kit from eBay came with greaseable Tie Rods, and upper ball joints. The lowers were a sealed unit that I used a grease needle to lube up.

EDIT: I just did a compatibility chart thru the ebay store, and it shows the kit mentioned above does not work. Not sure why, but there are other items in his store.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I just did a compatibility chart thru the ebay store, and it shows the kit mentioned above does not work. Not sure why, but there are other items in his store.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
If you do end up replacing the struts....

I bought the Carquest models from Advance Auto Parts. Lifetime warranty, and they are quick struts (strut, bearing plate, and spring), in a nice assembled unit. The strut, although branded a Carquest strut, is a KYB. At 110 bucks each (220 total), and with advance always running specials, I got them for 184 delivered to my door including tax.

I currently dont like the way they ride, but they are softening up with daily driving.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I just did a compatibility chart thru the ebay store, and it shows the kit mentioned above does not work. Not sure why, but there are other items in his store.

Those compatibility lists are either inaccurate or incomplete at best, epsecially with GM's red headed step child. Whenever I went to buy parts for the Saab, I would say a TB or Envoy. All mechanical parts interchange.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online