Rearview Mirror Pivot Broken

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
My Buick Onstar dimming/compass mirror was broken by previous owner at the pivot. The attachment to the glass is intact. Is that ball pivot something that's serviceable for these mirrors or would a complete replacement from a junkyard be the reasonable option? The "teeth" that the ring clamps to look to be mostly broken off.

Just an aside: These big truck GM parts seem to be made so that when a component fails, the entire "big part" has to be replaced all at once. Have you seen that to be the case?

Jul 24, 2012
I think you will need to replace the whole mirror. I learned when I replaced my windshield that the whole assembly will come off a metal anchor piece glued to the glass. See if you can move the mirror up towards the roof and off of that piece. I would doubt that ball part is serviceable, but the mirror at a U-Pull-It kind of place ought to be the most affordable replacement option.

Reactions: Mooseman

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
Yes the mount to the windshield is good but the ball joint is done. Ok guess it has to be replaced as a whole. Thank you

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
If your feeling lazy (like I am right now), you can get the mirror from eBay as well. From 20 bucks up, depending on options.

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
Follow Up: I found a Envoy at the junkyard with a mint condition mirror that looked like it matched in every way, just has the directional readout and Onstar buttons, no temperature guage. Perfect. Until I got it back to my Rainier and it doesn't fit, the solid rod doesn't allow the pivot to position the mirror properly.
So I had a cock-eyed mirror in place until my windshield got a big rock chip that within a day cracked across the entire glass. When the windshield got replaced, the new windshield (with the "acoustic" glass and third visor, nice) had the mirror placed perfectly lower down on the glass.
Cost at Pick n Pull was about $15.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86