Rear wiper

Machoman

Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
I’m looking for help on this. I have searched GMTNation and can’t seem to find this exact issue. It may be the same as other.

My rear windshield wiper is moving a lot slower than it used to. Now the wiper only goes half way and stops. Eventually it will go back. Could this be the motor, maybe the nut?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Mine was and is the motor. When it got really cold two years ago it did the same thing with a few other erratic behaviors. Now it works fine... :confused:

I had a latch issue to solve in the spring and the motor went back to doing it's job.

Have someone push the button and see if you can hear it. I could from the driver seat and I should be wearing hearing aids. Foreal.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Mine did that. What happens is the shaft gets corroded and the motor can't overcome it. I was able to get it going again by using penetrating fluid while moving the wiper arm back and forth by hand to assist the motor. It eventually loosened up again. That was a month ago. Been good ever since.

Reactions: stickypoop

Inferno333

Oct 9, 2014
Thanks for the tip! I'll use some penetrating oil on mine tomorrow when I'm doing some other work on it.

stickypoop

Oct 14, 2014
Mine did that. What happens is the shaft gets corroded and the motor can't overcome it. I was able to get it going again by using penetrating fluid while moving the wiper arm back and forth by hand to assist the motor. It eventually loosened up again. That was a month ago. Been good ever since.

Mine was locked up solid a few years ago. It started with getting slow. Then it was a crawl. Then, dead. I took it apart and the bushing was corroded onto the shaft solid. It took a bench vice and a few hammer wacks to separate it. Cleaned everything up, lubed with a marine grade grease and put it all back together. It's been problem free ever since.

If you price up these motors you'll find it's worth the effort to try to save yours. If you're lucky a bit of penetrating fluid will solve your problem like Mooseman... otherwise it's only a bit more time to remove it and open it up.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online