Rear wiper is not moving

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Quick search didn't lead anywhere... my rear wiper doesn't want to run. :confused: Will some WD40 do the trick? It moves as far as it wants(inch or two maybe more) and just stops. Eventually will go back down when off but not right away.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Playsinsnow said:
Quick search didn't lead anywhere... my rear wiper doesn't want to run. :confused: Will some WD40 do the trick? It moves as far as it wants(inch or two maybe more) and just stops. Eventually will go back down when off but not right away.
What happens if you turn it on, off, on? Ever since I got my truck it tends to stick first time I turn it on, but if I do that sequence it kicks it on. Not sure why, never bothered messing with it.

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Sparky said:
What happens if you turn it on, off, on? Ever since I got my truck it tends to stick first time I turn it on, but if I do that sequence it kicks it on. Not sure why, never bothered messing with it.
Turning it off it would stay stuck, turning it on it would jerk, off stay or stubbornly go down. Even changing the speeds 1-3 won't get it to move once stuck. I was in traffic and tried to get it to wipe. Once I parked I used my hand to put it down when off.

It did go almost halfway once. I noticed it did this when my alternator was literally dying but it picked up the pace when volts were normal. This is not the case now with a new alternator. :frown:

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012

I'm back home now and when I initially turn the wiper on, at any speed, it will go half way at most. It really only goes a little. Only once did it go half way.
When it sticks it won't move. I'm afraid to break it. But after if do a cycle with the swutch if necessary to off, it will go back down. Changing the speeds does nothing except start from the beginning position. It will respond some every time I switch it on from off unless it is stuck on the glass.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
It almost sounds like the motor isn't getting enough power... Or is going out.

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
hdodd1 said:
Mine did the same thing. New wiper motor fixed it.
Can I ask where you got your motor at? Quick search had prices from 40 dollars to over a $100 online.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
I would also try "cycling" the switch a number of times as I found that perhaps the switch contacts get "dirty" resulting in poor contacts. My wiper worked fine most of the spring, then on a long trip it did a similar thing (slow, to non-movement, stopped). Took the switch out and ensured that the connector was clean and set. Cycled the switch thereafter and things started out slow but after a few cycles, it was normal again.

Further you can check the motor both with a meter and "bench powering" to see if it will run.

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
The cold has set in and I've tried enough now where I don't want it staying locked on the glass.

I'll ask Capote, thanks.

Reactions: dmanns67

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
djthumper said:
Man that thing is not cheap.
$29Osomething at a dealer. I was calling about other parts and had to ask.

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Snow, did you check the wiring? My wiper wouldn't run when I first got my TB, took it to a stealership, turned out to be a short in the wire. They charged me $150 for new wiring, arm, and blade. That was right before I found this forum and got educated. :2thumbsup:

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Anything is possible but the fact that it moves but gets stuck suggest that the motor is bad not the wiring. I would try pulling it off the truck and see if you can clean it and oil it. But most likely you just need another one. There are a couple of tb being parted out on this forum right now. I'm sure they would hook you up if you ask.

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
BlazingTrails said:
There are a couple of tb being parted out on this forum right now. I'm sure they would hook you up if you ask.
Thanks for the reminder :thumbsup: I'll do some searching later.
I'll just a get a new one as the cold has set in and I don't want to do an anything twice if I don't have too.

D3vious

Dec 16, 2011
Mine has been doing this for about a year, only when it's cold though [emoji33]
I'll eventually swap it for a boneyard one

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online