Rear windshield wiper gear. 3D print it?

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
Is there a replacement part for the gear inside the rear wiper motor? I've looked around but no luck. I believe just replacing the cog or 3D print it would be much cheaper than buying a new motor. Any ideas?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If you have the hardware readily available to make the copy, and a source piece to model from, then yeah that would definitely be the way to go. If not, maybe sourcing a replacement motor from a junk yard truck may be the next best option.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I would be extremely surprised if the materials used by most common 3d printers would hold up to the stresses placed upon this type of gear. I would be very interested to see how this turns out.

Reactions: Reprise

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
At first, I agreed 100% with you on the material.
But - depending on how hard it was to source another OEM one, and how long the printed one lasted... maybe it would be worth doing.

The nice thing is that once the part is created, printing off a few spares is easy / cheap to do (depending on the cost of consumables -- as with any printer...lol)

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
I'll be using geargenerator.com to make the initial CAD design. I'm not sure about the material. Do you guys think this gear is subject to a lot of stress?

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
It's an interesting project, but in the interest of expediting the repair - pull one from a used truck and you'll be finished waaaaay quicker.
If you need a dozen of those gears, then soldier on!

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I'll be using geargenerator.com to make the initial CAD design. I'm not sure about the material. Do you guys think this gear is subject to a lot of stress?
When there's plenty of rain on the windshield - not really. The difficulty starts when the windshield is dry. If you're willing to put in the effort - by all means, do. I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing the idea. I'm sure I'd be using a 3d printer for lots of stuff if I had one.

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
No youre not bashing the idea. Its just I wish they made that replacement part instead of changing the whole thing.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.