Rear window support struts failed

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
Time to change out the two rear window struts....they're completely impotent. Looks like there may be a trick to remove the old and install the new. No visible retaining screws or obvious disconnect. Anyone done this before?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I would have to go out and look but there are normally clips holding them in place on the mounts. If you go buy the new ones you would be able to see how they are mounted.

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
Yep. They are like a ball joint and there are small metal clips that hold the ends on the rods place. Jeweler type screwdriver can pop 'em right off. Easy replacement.

I learned my liftgate ones were weak when it became one inch too low for me to walk under. :bonk:

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
Good thing they didn't binf and break the glass from binding up - some have had it happen.

I wish the gas springs on my parent's Toyota would weaken up, the hatch is very difficult to shut.

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
It helps to have a second person hold up the hatch and replace one side at a time.
I used StrongArm 4573 and have been satisfied since replacing in mid-2008. Amazon shows they are for 2004-2005 but they fit the 03 Envoy. At the time I ordered them the actual part number shown on Amazon didn't look like it was for the 03 so I measured the actual length to be 20 inches and bought the 4573s. I seen they now show it fits.

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
Thanks everyone. AbsoluteZero, are the 4573's for the glass only or the whole rear door. I'm looking for glass only. Amazon shows glass supports as 4576. Thanks.

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
They were the whole hatch. I had the glass only replaced under warranty using GM p/n 15093449. I'd suggest measuring them and compare with dimension shown in Amazon listing for the 4576

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
Ordered two new struts today on Amazon. I'm trying out the Amazon Prime membership so 2 day shipping is free. The StrongArm 4575 is speced for the extended wheelbase TrailVoys rear glass lift, not the whole gate. Rock Auto also stocks the part but the shipping cost nixed using them this time.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.