Rear Window defroster wire came loose need fix info

b.paine

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
The passenger side rear defrost wire is loose, it has a small metal plate attached. It looks like it was once soldered to the metal plate affixed to the rear window. I know that I cannot solder (with heat) because of the glass, what if I create a " cold solder" connection, heating the metal plate on the end of the wire and place that on the metal plate on the window. I would first clean and apply flux. What do you think????:crazy::undecided:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
A "cold solider" joint is a poor mechanical connection and a bad electrical connection.

There are kits for the job, a resin paste with a metallic dust. It's not as good as the original, but it gets the job done.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Auto parts stores. This is a relatively common problem with rear window defogger.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
gmcman said:
I am not familiar with that iron, but I have used "cordless" irons.

They all have a self-contained heat source, usually a gas, or a battery.

Most have a small soldering tip (because the heat source is not large; and, so it will cool off every quickly to be tossed into a pocket)

The small tip acts just like a larger iron, it gets hot and melts a thin solder wire.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Feb 24, 2012
Thanks for posting that link - I repaired mine in the rear window of my Yukon following a GM Service bulletin which had me clean the area and use silver solder. It didn't hold. I didn't bother to re-fix it when the other side dropped off shortly after. I wonder if anything will actually work.

I'm hoping that Frost Fighter adhesive will work! How long has your repair held? Plus they have replacement tabs, convenient.

b.paine

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I ordered the tab bonding kit today...I will wait until the weather is warmer before trying the job. I will post it here.:smile:

JCJARHEAD

Dec 7, 2011
I did mine just before Winter. It has been a relatively mild one...mine is holding and working great! One additional tip I would have for anyone who is replacing the tab also.....Maybe put a slight crimp in it so when you slide it back into the black receiving end...it will stay in better.

Once you dry solder it on....it may be too late as you do not want to bend it back of the glass? Crimp/Bend it to increase the contact with the black housing. I DID NOT do this...and my wire will come off on occasion when I close the glass. No big deal as it works fine once I slide the black housing back onto the new tab.

And yes.....try to find a relatively warm day to do this. I actually did the blow dryer to cure.....I did only about 15 minutes vice the 30 they recommend and it worked fine.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
I had one side off when I bought my truck. Grabbed the adhesive kit from Canadian Tire and it worked for a couple of weeks until the weather turned and I started using the rear defrost, fell right off. Before I had a chance to try a different method someone was kind enough to bust out may back window. Took it to Apple Auto Glass and got it replaced. On the new windows the tabs look to be a little more secure.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher