Rear upper control; arms rusted and broke.

Blackstar

Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Hey Guys, haven't been around lately but am now in need of some expert advice. I have a 2002 Envoy SLT with 235,000 KM on it and it just failed inspection. I need both left and right rear upper control arms. Both are rusted and broken away from the frame end. While checking for parts I'm seeing 2 different parts for air ride and no air ride. Mine had air ride until the compressor died a few years back so I installed a set of coil springs.

The thing is the non-air ride arms look beefier than the air ride arms. Are these interchangeable? Can I use the non air ride (just coils now)? This is an old truck that I've owned for 15 years with no major problems and need it for another couple years before retirement. I just use it to get to work and back, about 2 miles round trip so I want to keep it roadworthy until then if I can.

Thank you for any advice on this matter. The old girl still works great after all these years...

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
In this particular case, I would go with the beefier Air Ride. It probably wont make a difference, but thats the direction I would go.

Before you waste money on them, I would see if you can even get the bolts out of the axle, and specially, the frame mount. That much rust, and corrosion, you might not be able to get the control arm out, to put the replacement in, which means having someone cut them out. If you are for sure going thru with the repair in either case, than just order them, and make sure whatever shop you take it to for the cutting of the old nuts out are OK with you supplying your own parts. Some shops dont like that.

Reactions: Blackstar

Blackstar

Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
In this particular case, I would go with the beefier Air Ride. It probably wont make a difference, but thats the direction I would go.

Before you waste money on them, I would see if you can even get the bolts out of the axle, and specially, the frame mount. That much rust, and corrosion, you might not be able to get the control arm out, to put the replacement in, which means having someone cut them out. If you are for sure going thru with the repair in either case, than just order them, and make sure whatever shop you take it to for the cutting of the old nuts out are OK with you supplying your own parts. Some shops dont like that.
Thanks for the advice. But it's the non-air ride arms that look beefier. I wasn't sure if they were interchangeable. My local repair guy is pretty good to work with. He even suggested I call around to find the best price. I've supplied parts in the past without problems.

He did say that the bolts could be a problem to get out of the frame. The rear bumper is also rusted and needs to be replaced but I found one at a salvage for $200.00 in really good shape (according to the owner).

The control arms at Napa, here in Nova Scotia are $150.00 each but Rock Auto has them for $30.00 to $40.00 each. I just need the old Envoy to last me a couple more years so I was thinking the Rock Auto ones could do the trick.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I would go with the RockAuto ones at that price, and I think there is a discount code here on the forums for them as well. Go with the beefier ones (which ever ones they are). You might have to wait for shipping, but at a savings of 240 bucks (for 2), its what I would do!

Dont forget to check the other side, If one is gone, the other is not likely to far behind.

Blackstar

Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
I would go with the RockAuto ones at that price, and I think there is a discount code here on the forums for them as well. Go with the beefier ones (which ever ones they are). You might have to wait for shipping, but at a savings of 240 bucks (for 2), its what I would do!

Dont forget to check the other side, If one is gone, the other is not likely to far behind.
Thanks Bud. I think Rock auto is my best bet too. By the way, they are both gone. Been driving her a little easy lately. :wink: Bought a '12 Acadia for my wife 3 years ago. It had no license plate holder on the front bumper (we only have a rear plate in Nova Scotia). Wife wanted to put a plate with a picture of our dog on it. Local GM dealer wanted $85.00 for a plastic plate holder. I got one, delivered to my door , from Rock Auto for $19.00.

Attachments

• IMG_6905.JPG
    IMG_6905.JPG
    440.1 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: xavierny25

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Dont bring that to Colorado or Missouri! They will ticket you for that LOL.

I like the Acadia Denali's, but their price tag :jawdrop2:. The 3.6 engine is also a area of concern for me, will have to see how the 3.6 in my Rendezvous does (same engine), but I think they call it a High Feature engine for me, what ever that means...

Reactions: Blackstar

Blackstar

Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Mine works great. Fuel mileage is very good for the size of the vehicle. Made a trip from Nova Scotia to Ontario when we bought it and after resetting the DIC it showed an average of 26.5 MPG (Imperial gallon). I don't think the Envoy ever did that well. Beautiful truck to drive.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online