Rear suspension: Air bags and coilover shocks?

d-wreck08

Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
I have just recently replaced the front struts and am looking to replace the rear air bags and shocks now.

My question: Is there any reason to replace the shocks with the Monroe Sensa-Trac load adjusting Part # 58644? They are listed on RockAuto to fit the 02 envoy with rear coil springs (air bags aren't listed but I'm assuming they would still fit). I'm thinking it isn't really necessary but I wanted to see if anyone had a good answer as to if it would offer any benefit, be completely redundant, or make the ride worse. There is only $20 different in price between those and the Reflex Monotube Part # 911510, which is the main reason for my question.

Also, as far as air bags go I have read about the Arnott's, but they are $160 for just the bags. Whereas RockAuto has has these Air Ride Part # 60779 bags with new hose and fittings listed for $113.99, but I have not been able to find much info on them. So any input on these would be appreciated.

Some other info: I'm fully aware of the other brands and options that some may recommend but I have already put 2 Monroe quick struts on the front (very happy with them so far) and am planning on sticking with Monroe shocks for the rear. As for replacing the air bags with the Z71 springs, Id like to keep the stock ride height for now (as I recall reading the springs will raise the rear a bit). As for hauling, I don't haul much of anything right now but have a list of "toys" (boat, utility trailer and whatnot) that will be behind the envoy some day, as it does have the locking 4:10 rear diff.

flyweed

Apr 20, 2012
Hi

I can't be of much help to answer your questions..but would like to know the answers to these questions too, as yesterday my azz end of my 2004 Envoy XL bottomed out....the compressor still kicks in when I start the vehicle, but the rear end don't raise up. for now, I am putting in a Bypass "t" so I can manually inflate the bags, and see if they are leaking, or shot, or if it's the compressor or check valve.

Hope to read some more posts soon!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
d-wreck08 said:
Whereas RockAuto has has these Air Ride Part # 60779 bags with new hose and fittings listed for $113.99, but I have not been able to find much info on them.
Those are Air Lift 1000 bags that many of us put INSIDE our current coil springs to get some adjustability without going to the trouble and expense of the auto-ride (ECAS) system you have. They are totally incompatible with your system. Get the Arnotts, is my amateur advice.

d-wreck08

Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
the roadie said:
Those are Air Lift 1000 bags that many of us put INSIDE our current coil springs to get some adjustability without going to the trouble and expense of the auto-ride (ECAS) system you have. They are totally incompatible with your system. Get the Arnotts, is my amateur advice.

OK thanks for that, I have to admit I was a little skeptical just looking at them but figured since they were the only ones I could find on RockAuto, that they would just be the right ones.

Thanks for the info, and probably saving me from having to return some air bags. :tongue:

I guess my search will continue then, and I'll be looking to see if there is any recommended hardware to swap out with new bags. Since the Arnotts don't seem to come with any. My thoughts with the coil overs and air bags have kinda gone to the idea of try it and see, and if one day my whole air system goes kaput I could just order up some much cheaper springs (as compared to a new compressor and all) and be set? At least that's kind of what I am leaning as of now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zee0719

Members Online