Rear speakers not working, help.

lovesrugers

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Well much to my dismay I discovered that the rear speakers are not working at all in the family ride, a 2002 Olds Bravada. So far I have tried removing and reinstalling the fuse and playing with all the controls front and rear.

After doing some research on the net it appears this may be a common problem, blown speakers. At first I was kinda sceptical that both rears would blow at the same time but it appears this happens quite frequently on our rides.

So do you guys think the speakers just blew, or should I be checking something else first. Is there an easy way to check that I am actually getting output to the rear speakers. I don't have a spare speaker I can swap in, so can I just use a volt ohm meter to do this?

If it is just the speakers what size do I need. Any brand/ type that you guys can recommend. I put a set of Infiniti Kappas into my truck that I really like and am leaning towards if I can get the proper size to just drop right in.

Also it appears I may need a special tool to remove the door panels. Do I really need this tool or can I use something else I may have on hand? Anyone got any tips on removing the rear door panels, and possibly the fronts for future speaker changes?

Oh yeah, just a little more info, My Bravada has the stock in dash 6 cd changer head unit with the rear seat audio controls. I don't have any auxiliary equipment like a dvd player or whatever else the aux input may control.

Thanks for any help the site can give me. Oh yeah if this is not the proper area for this post please feel free to move it to that area.

Jerry

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Welcome to the dead speaker club. My right rear was dead for over a year and the speaker threads here got me going to replace all of them . I went with Kicker DS65's and adapters to make them plug and play. Search the site for speakers and my past posts to find all the details.

You can use a paint scraper wrapped with a rag to pop the retainers holding the door panel on. There is a video on YouTube on how to pull the door panels. Rear are very easy. Fronts on Envoys are a little bit more difficult. Get the rear of the front door window switch plate out first. It has two clips holding it in and is tough. TBs only have one clip if I examined some pictures close enough.

(I don't want to try posting the video link from my tablet since it will favor the tablet version.)

lovesrugers

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks Mark. I think I found the video. Looks pretty darn simple. Now I just need to get some new speakers, it appears 6.5 inch round speakers will work.

Here is the video I watched:
[video=youtube;xoeCZz6ZkdM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoeCZz6ZkdM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoeCZz6ZkdM[/video]
Jerry

lovesrugers

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Just an update.

Today I was finally able to get out and buy some new speakers, a set of Infiniti Kappas. I listened to a bunch of speakers and the Kappa's still sounded the best to me for the price.

After changing the oil in the wife's car and mowing the lawn I installed them. Removing the door panels was a piece of cake. From there I removed the stock speakers. To install my new speakers I had to use my flush cut saw to remove a couple of plastic locater posts used by the stock speakers. After doing that I installed the new mounting plate and spliced in the new speakers. I then tested them and success, I once again have rear working speakers that sound great.

Now I can't wait for the fronts to go out so I can replace them also.

Thanks for all the help this forum has once again provided.

Jerry

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Glad I could help. I just used a pair of good wire cuttters to snip off the locators.

Now repeat after me...

Just do the front speakers. Just do them!!!!!!! :biggrin:

lovesrugers

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Mark20 said:
Now repeat after me...

Just do the front speakers. Just do them!!!!!!! :biggrin:

i would love to do them, but I have to justify the cost to my wife and myself. :undecided:

Jerry

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Glad you got it sorted out. I discovered My rear speakers were blown out last month :rotfl:! i'm sure they've been out for a while too! I'll be completing the installation of my HU next week along with new speakers :wootwoot:

CCCD

Apr 22, 2012
Ace1875 said:
Mine is wiring or head unit issue. I installed new speakers and they also didn't work. So till she or kids complain. Front are nuff for em. :tongue:

I have been struggling with this problem for several months. Passenger and rear speakers work intermittently. Only front driver side works. Did all the research and decided to verify with an old speaker. Well I took off the passenger rear door panel (piece of cake), before removing speaker I decided to check radio one more time. Wouldn’t you know it, all the speakers worked great. Great tone/base sounds. Went back out couple hrs. later to check mileage, speakers not working. Took key out and turn ignition on/off 4 times, then all the speakers worked. No signs of water damage. Wife’s TB (121,822 miles), always garaged, no off roading. It was cool this evening. Thinking it might be as I had originally thought, i.e. the connector at the back of the radio (head unit). Could be thermal related? I’ll have to pull the radio cover and check. There is a good utube video on this. Will report back.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I assume water took out one of my OEM speakers but saw no obvious damage. But it was definitely dead.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.