Rear Shocks...Bilstein 4600 plus air bags or 5100 for towing. Tongue weight of 260 lbs.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
The Envoy is sagging a little in the rear. Not very much at all. But, when I load up the back of it for camping it will be significantly more. I bought a set of Firestone Coil Rite air bags to fit inside of the springs but haven't installed them yet.

I'm also needing new shocks now so was wondering if I should keep the air bags, and go with the 4600 series Bilstein rear shocks or the 5100 adjustable ones?

Eventually I will be doing the front struts and using the 5100 to get a little lift out of the front. But that will be awhile. Any problems running the 4600's the back and 5100's in the front? Trying to save some funds...... Thanks for any input.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I bet someone is going to recommend swapping your springs with Z71 springs...

I have not done this mod, so have nothing to say about it. But I do remember that a few has done it.

I think you said you have a short wheel base.. A long wheel base spring will also give you a higher spring rate.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I had put EXT springs on the Saab and it had a really stupid rake. It could have been exacerbated by the front being a little lower than other 360's. No idea what Z71 springs would do.

The rear 5100, which I have, are not adjustable. They just have extra travel to allow for a lift. The front 5100 are adjustable to lift the front a little, mostly to level the truck's front.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Hi Mooseman....I missed that on the 5100 rear shocks when I was reading about them. I thought it would let me adjust them up similar to the front ones.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I think I'm going to stay with the air bags and the 4600 Bilstein's for the rear. In the future I will add the 5100's for the front to bring the front up a little.

Reactions: Mooseman

finneusj

Dec 31, 2022
IL
I bet someone is going to recommend swapping your springs with Z71 springs...

I have not done this mod, so have nothing to say about it. But I do remember that a few has done it.

I think you said you have a short wheel base.. A long wheel base spring will also give you a higher spring rate.
I also haven’t actually done this mod but most everyone I’ve read that has says it will raise the rear height another 1-1/2”-2”, and rides much more stiff when no load is present. Also read that it does improve handling and has almost no squat when towing/loaded down.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online