Rear Quarter Window upgrade

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
Sorry for adding another question:

Today I was behind an Envoy at a light and I noticed that their rear quarter windows were popped open. As someone who prefers 3-60 A/C* instead of actual A/C, I found this appealing. I did some looking on gmpartsdirect and I see 'moveable' glass for the windows are available. Does anyone know how hard it would be to swap the stationary glass for the pop-out ones? Are the mount points there already or would I need to have my own tapped?

*3-60 A/C is a term I learned back in the 80's while riding in a '77 F-150. It means "roll down the windows, open the back glass and do 60 mph".

freddyboy61

Dec 4, 2011
These operable windows are only on the long wheelbase (LWB) trucks (Trailblazer EXT and Envoy XL). The rear window area is longer than the short wheelbase (SWB) version.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
According to his profile he has an ext but non opening rear glass windows. My guess is it's an "option" on these lwb trucks. I'm pretty sure there has to be info on this some where. Probably the old site. We may have to do some digging.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I thought it was only early LWB models that didn't have power vent windows back there, I had only seen 2002/2003s like that. If I can remember, I can pop the C and D pillars off and snap pics to compare with. *May need a reminder*

Reactions: xavierny25

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
Yes, I have an 05 TB EXT. I don't know to what extent the GMT360s differ from Manufacturer to Manufacturer, so when I saw this feature on the Envoy, I thought it might not be available to TB owners. But then I checked gmpartsdirect and it gave me some hope.

I have had my D-Pillar panels off a lot and have never noticed any additional mount points, but I also wasn't looking for any. I will pop one of them off and take a picture of mine to compare with others who might have the feature (unless the mount points are obvious).

Last edited:

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
As soon as I saw these three studs, I remembered seeing them before. I had assumed they might be mounts for some optional electrical components. It seems odd to me that these would be for the rear window since they are three electrical instead of three nuts. I would think that using bolts would make for a cleaner install of window hardware than using nuts on long studs, but maybe this is indeed the mounting point?
0509181349a-1.jpg

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
Okay, I think I have found my answers. I did some searching for the hardware part of the moveable windows and found a picture on ebay of one of the rear actuators. The mounting holes look like the same pattern as the studs in the picture above. So I went back to gmpartsdirect to look a little more seriously at pricing and saw that they wanted $436 for the passenger side window and did not have the driver side one. So I guess this will be going onto my mods-to-do list and I will have to junkyard dive or keep an eye on ebay for cheaper glass.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I found this pic in an old folder that I took for someone who was looking to do the same mod. The good thing about trying to find junk yard treasure, would be also having access to the wiring harness, compatible overhead console, and switches. Although I can imagine how much of a royal pain it would be dissecting the harness to get what you need. :crazy:

1525901192982.png

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I have these on my '03. Would you believe I've never used them in the 3+ years I've had the truck? Part of that is b/c I worry that they might not close again...no, I'm not kidding (I have a very intermittent issue w/ the passenger front window that I haven't gotten to yet (soon).

Saw the motors recently when I had my D-pillar trim off for routing the backup cam.

I imagine they'd be great for dog owners, etc. As for me, if the driver's front opens at the drive-thru, I'm good.
That's what auto HVAC is for - and it's the time of year where I enjoy the *hell* out of the Voy's A/C :love0001:

(Guessing GM recycled the 9xx platform blower / fan for our truck - because it seems hella strong for the size of the vehicle.)

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
Even though I live in steamy Florida, I am not much for A/C. One of the biggest problems for people who didn't grow up with this type of heat and humidity is how 'sticky and clammy' the air feels. What they don't get is that it is actually the A/C that causes that sensation. I do use the A/C when it raining out though. Rest of the time it is all windows down and if I end up doing this upgrade, rear windows cracked too for the air flow.

One thing I miss about the old Broncos and K5 Blazers is the ability to remove the roofs. I had briefly considered a large ragtop sunroof from streetbeatcustoms.com to get a similar feel, but... I don't know about that.

Still, it's good to know this is a possible upgrade for me. I will have to go out this weekend and see if there are any possible donor vehicles at my local yard.

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Even though I live in steamy Florida, I am not much for A/C.

I'm the same way, unless it's raining, or I have other people riding with me (rarely), I'll just roll all the windows down and be good to go. Unless I'm in stop and go traffic, and the sun is on my side of the vehicle, then I'll cave and crank the AC.

I like to leave those back windows open when I'm parked at work. In combination with the vent visors, the truck isn't a sauna when I get in :yes:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
One thing I miss about the old Broncos and K5 Blazers is the ability to remove the roofs.

x2. I would buy one for that feature alone. I remember loving seeing those when I was a kid growing up in the '70s - and I was much more into cars than trucks at the time. Like a '77 T/A w/ t-tops and honeycomb wheels (like I said, I was a kid...lol)

I should correct my earlier post - I do sometimes lower the windows (including the passenger front) - but I've never been one for wind / noise, especially if they're down more than a couple of inches. And we know 'steamy' up here, too - Chicago area is very humid in the summer.

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
Like a '77 T/A w/ t-tops and honeycomb wheels

There's a guy in my area with one and he keeps a mannequin in a wedding dress in his passenger seat.

Not trying to win you over to the open-windows side (to each their own I say), but if you ever get your momentary issue figured out, try messing with the height of your rear windows when the front are open. There's a 'magic range' where if the opening in the rear doors is about 50-60% of the front windows, it drastically reduces wind noise by reducing turbulance. I learned this trick in my old Jimmy.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online