Rear Lift Gate Slams Shut

2840Ryan

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I have a 2002 Envoy, non-XL, 151,000 miles, and I was wondering if my rear lift gate shocks are worn out which is causing the issue. My lift gate opens like it should and stays up, but when I close it shuts really fast and is really loud inside the truck. I usually hold my hand on it and slow it down, when it's shutting so it doesn't slam shut and wakes up our 8 month old. Does this sound like worn out shocks or is this normal? I always thought worn out shocks wouldn't hold the rear lift gate up. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Ryan

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Maybe just one of them is failing? That can happen too...

Would explain why the door can stay in the open position, no?

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
yeah sounds like one of is out at least they are easy to replace, get two there pretty cheap

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Black_tb said:
yeah sounds like one of is out at least they are easy to replace, get two there pretty cheap

Yes, agreed If you replace one, you should replace them both. Saves you a headache down the road.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Nope, it shouldn't be slamming shut. Replace the struts.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The struts have two functions. One is by being pressurized with gas, it acts as a spring to counterweight the liftgate. The other is as a shock absorber to control the speed of closing and opening. Just like the units put on screen doors. They manage the last inch or two of closing to make sure the slamming speed is slowed down.

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
Had to dig thru some records to get details. I replaced the main hatch rear struts on the 03 Envoy using StrongArm 4573 from Amazon. I see that are still available @ $22 ea. Like one of the reviews said be sure and measure one when the hatch is fully opened. Mine measured 20".
The failure mode with my 03 was the hatch wouldn't stay fully opened.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
mine always has snapped shut and I'm used to it. Nice when my hands are full, I just pulled it down far enough and it snaps itself when within 12 inches of being closed. My parents have a Chrysler Pacifica and you have to push it shut - always catches me off guard and it annoys me.

So, is it not supposed to snap shut when you have it down to the last 12 inches or so?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher