Rear Hatch won't unlock

Nevinator

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
Fort Belvoir,VA
I have a 2006 Chevy TB that I can't get the rear hatch to unlock on. I have the panel off of it and can see the mechanism unlock the glass, which still operates fine, when I use the fob. After using the fob to unlock it the handle still moves freely as if it is still locked. I haven't had it open in a while and assume rust is playing a big factor in this issue.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The mechanism is just gunked up with corrosion likely. I had to take mine out and clean it up once.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My parts Saab is in that situation right now. Window opens but the hatch won't. Feels like the mechanism is seized as the handle won't move beyond half way unlike when it's locked, it will go all the way. Will have to get the panel off and probably force it or destroy the latch so it can release.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
My parts Saab is in that situation right now. Window opens but the hatch won't. Feels like the mechanism is seized as the handle won't move beyond half way unlike when it's locked, it will go all the way. Will have to get the panel off and probably force it or destroy the latch so it can release.

Isn't there a manual release of some sort behind the panel? Like an emergency release of some kind?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There is an emergency access hole to use a screwdriver to move the linkage manually but that will work if it's not seized. Not easy getting that complete panel off without opening the hatch.

Reactions: mrrsm

Dadwagon

May 21, 2020
West coast
There is an emergency access hole to use a screwdriver to move the linkage manually but that will work if it's not seized. Not easy getting that complete panel off without opening the hatch.
Is this the hole on the right that's visible just under the hatch when it is down? I have been trying to search everywhere to find out what this hole is and why it's not covered at least by a piece of rubber/plastic.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online