Rear-Ended

recondrill

Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
My wife was at a complete stop when she got slammed by a Kia Sportage doing 45 MPH! Kia was totaled and towed off to the salavage yard. We drove our 2004 Trailblazer EXT LT home! You can keep your cheaper better MPG vehicles, I'll keep what keeps my family safe!!!

Attachments

• DSC00200.jpg
    DSC00200.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00208.jpg
    DSC00208.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 12

mika

Dec 6, 2011
What hit you to be that high up in the tailgate??:undecided: Not that bad of damage. No one hurt is always a good thing.

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
recondrill said:
You can keep your cheaper better MPG vehicles, I'll keep what keeps my family safe!!!

:iagree:

Another example of bigger is better. Good to hear she [wife] was able to drive home. Was the Sportage lifted to hit the rear that high?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:eek: Wow, 45mph and that's all the damage your truck took? Glad you and your wife walked away OK. I agree, that damage seems a bit high up for a Sportage, unless it was lifted (I've seen a couple :hopeless:) or airborne somehow. Hope the driver wasn't hurt too bad, since their ride was totaled, I imagine there were at least some bumps and bruises.

drwfaulk

Jan 5, 2012
It looks that the bumper was pushed up into the tailgate ,thus making it bow inward.

jdoorn14

Mar 24, 2012
drwfaulk said:
It looks that the bumper was pushed up into the tailgate ,thus making it bow inward.

:iagree:

Yeah, it looks like the brunt of the impact was low on the bumper around the hitch receiver (which is pushed up and in, along with everything else).

Reminds me of the damage to my dad's 91 GMC Sierra when he got rear ended by a ricer in almost the exact scenario described by OP. Trailer hitch was pushed up into the bumper, but not much other damage. I think he had to have the bumper and hitch replaced, but no more. From what my dad told me, the ricer had the trailer hitch almost in the windshield and tons of damage to the hood/engine compartment as the car slid under my dad's truck. The hitch my dad had at the time had just enough drop to it to really tear into the ricer's hood.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Glad your family was safe

recondrill

Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Thank you all for the comments and well wishes. I think the lift gate got damaged when the KIA hit the hitch/bumper, but had so much energy it rolled over the now bent bumper and raised slightly off the ground. First estimate was $4K to repair using OEM parts. If I use aftermarket parts a bit cheaper.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Yeah I was rear ended by a mid-80's Cadillac in 2006 and I had about the same results!! So I dont think it has to do anything with the type of car because I got rear ended by a sedan de'ville going about 35-40mph. The Caddy lost its anti-freeze, hood buckled in the air, front clip (headlights, grille, bumper) were completely unrecognizable and in thousands of pieces all over the roadway. Envoy had a cracked bumper cover and a dented liftgate :wootwoot:

Envoy = 1 Cadillac = 0 lol....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online