Rear end squeak/creek

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
I've been chasing this problem down for months, and nobody seems to be able to know what the issue is. Basically, when going over bumps there will be a light squeak/creek coming from the rear end somewhere. The sound is way more prominent when there are passengers in the rear, as in, every little bump fills the cabin with the noise. It sounds very similar to metal on metal contact, or I think maybe like a worn out metal spring mattress. Its hard to describe but its along those lines.

At first, I thought it was the slip yoke needing to be lubricated or it was going bad. Jacked the truck up and took a look, everything seems to be fine. I found the fuel filler neck wasn't attached to the frame, and found it made a squeaking noise when moved by hand. So I went to the dealer and bought the plastic retaining clip to replace the broken one, figured it was done and over with....nope noise is still there. I checked the spare tire, and heat shield to see if maybe it was those two and they are both solid. All I could think of is maybe the rear sway bar bushings? The stabilizer links are my second guess, but they usually clunk when bad, but they're pretty firm and hardly budge by hand. The links do look fairly worn out, and don't appear to be the factory originals. I did notice there was this strange metal bracket, but I have no idea where it goes to. I've attached a picture of the stabilizer link and the unknown metal bracket.

Any clues of something I may be overlooking? I've tried recording the sound but the mic on my phone isn't sensitive enough to pick the sound up from the inside. 20171029_115423.jpg 20171029_115701.jpg

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
I’d take a look at all your bushings ..control arms...panhard bar....shocks...etc...

Been my experience creaking sounds are usually there...

End links obviously are a usual source of noises but as you said usually a rattle or clunk...

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
I'll take a look at the control arm bushings, is there a particular kind of grease I should use? Rear shocks and springs are supposedly new (they look a little worn) when the previous owner switched out the rear air bags for springs.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Bushings don't use grease. If they are squeaking, they could be spinning within the arm.

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
@Mooseman Oh I see. How would I go about replacing those bushings, and they wouldn't happen to be the sway bar bushings would they?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Control arm bushings aren't replaceable, you have to replace the arm(s). Sway bar bushings are replaceable and could also be the source of the noise, especially clunking.

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
D'oh! Right. I'm assuming the truck would need an alignment if I ended up replacing the arms? Going to shoot for getting under there Thursday to take a look at them. I'll be replacing the rear links in the meantime so I should be able to get a closer look at everything. Odd part is, the rear links look shot, but they're aren't clunking like they normally do when they're gone. Figured I might as well replace them since the bushings look pretty much torn up. Do the links commonly squeak when they're shot, even if they're solid and not clunking?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just to be clear, I was talking about the rear arms/links. Front A-arms' bushings are replaceable but labour wise, it's better to get the whole arms rather than replace the bushings. After working on the fronts, you would need an alignment. Rear is not adjustable.

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Gotcha! I just wanted to make sure, didn't know if the rears needed to be aligned or not. Fronts I figured were a given.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
Take a look at what I circled, the red circle looks like a rubbed spot and the blue circle (is that a grease fitting?) looks like it is making that rubbed spot when the suspension moves.
upload_2017-11-6_17-0-4.png

Some questions to ponder:
Are those links too long?
Are they installed on the correct side of the Stabilizer Bar?
Are they installed on the correct side? (there's a Left and a Right Link).

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-6_16-58-58.png
    upload_2017-11-6_16-58-58.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: Mike534x

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Take a look at what I circled, the red circle looks like a rubbed spot and the blue circle (is that a grease fitting?) looks like it is making that rubbed spot when the suspension moves.
View attachment 82326

Some questions to ponder:
Are those links too long?
Are they installed on the correct side of the Stabilizer Bar?
Are they installed on the correct side? (there's a Left and a Right Link).

Holy crap! I think you're right. The spot is grooved from I assume is the zerk fitting rubbing up against it. They're the same as the Moog links I bought last week, if I had to guess, I'm assuming the previous owners had put these on the wrong way. If that is the case, then the zerk side thats rubbing should be pointed out, not in. So either the left and ride side are switched around or they're upside down. I did not think about that.

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
There is signs of a little wear, but it does line up with the indentation on the sway bar. I'm more surprised the fitting isn't damaged.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online