rear end play

Dpitts

Original poster
Jul 22, 2019
Atlanta
When my 08 97x is on a lift there is about an inch of play in the rear end if you push and pull on the wheels. Is this normal. Also, I was reversing slowly and it felt as if something was slipping/jerking for a second but it drives and shifts fine.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Does it make any noise while you're driving? I think I had about an1/4 inch of play on mine but, it also made a slight hum at lower speeds when I was turning.

If you've never changed your rear diff oil, I would pull the shafts out and wipe the inside of the diff out and replace the bearings and seals on both sides.

Here's the link to my thread:

Reactions: Mooseman

Dpitts

Original poster
Jul 22, 2019
Atlanta
Hi Maverick, thanks for the response. It doesn't make any noise while driving. The only thing I've noticed is that if I am coasting at low speeds like 10 mph and accelerate there is a initial clunck ot thump when the drive train engages. After that everything shifts smoothly. I will watch videos to change tht fluids and bearings. Thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The only thing I've noticed is that if I am coasting at low speeds like 10 mph and accelerate there is a initial clunck ot thump when the drive train engages.

For that, pull the driveshaft out of the transfer case and add some grease inside the splines. Been there on that one.

Reactions: Dpitts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online