Rear end clunk and shudder in 2nd gear

Sagarin12

Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
I have an 05 TB with 170-180k on it (don't remember off the top of my head and not with the truck). I've been noticing a slight shudder when it shifts into 2nd gear upon normal acceleration, almost has the feeling of skipping teeth on the gears but I doubt that's it. Then today I noticed some noise coming from the rear end, almost like a differential knock, but it is most noticeable when not moving at all. I had just gotten off expressway, and waiting at the light I started hearing 3 quick knocks, then it would stay silent for a little bit, then 3 quick knocks again. When I took off I heard the 3 knocks faintly, and moving didn't hear them at all until I started slowing for another light. From driver seat they almost sound like a short car slowly creeping up under the bumper and the plastic bending and snapping back.

I have seen some other threads pointing to sway bar links, but I checked those, and they appear to be fine, also wouldn't explain noise with no movement. In my head any suspension component is out because it makes most noise when stopped. Also rocked truck side to side and bounced up and down, didn't hear anything.

There are no codes that my code reader could detect, and all PIDS looked normal.

The rear diff fluid was changed last fall, and trans pan dropped, filter changed, and new fluid this spring. Truck does NOT have limited slip diff.

I know there is excessive backlash between ring and pinion gears, or ring and spider gears, not sure which.

Any ideas out there on what it could be?

Sagarin12

Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Forgot to add, found a video online with a very similar sound...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIA151KxImM

Sound mine makes happens around the 5 to 6 second mark

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Check the exhaust for movement. There's a heat shield that's strapped to the pipe before the resonator, right above the spare tire. Sounds like it's shaking and tapping the body.

The 2nd gear issue, I can't recommend this enough especially at your mileage...but change out the 2nd apply piston for the larger "vette servo" and also change your separator plate above the valve body.

Those two items will change things dramatically and will extend the inevitable.

Could be other issues but these are cheap and I feel everyone should do this at the 120-140K mark.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramblinjon

Members Online